Can you help? Looking for a place to stay in London
Thread poster: Palko Agi
Palko Agi  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I am going to Plymouth in the autumn, for a teacher training course, I have won a scholarship from Tempus.
I would like to go to England two days earlier and spend those two days in London, but the funds are just enough for the course.
Can anyone help me with some CHEAP accommodation? Tourist hostel, B&B - anything would be OK, but I am bit afraid of booking a place online, since I cannot be sure if it's a "nice" place or not.
(Londoners, if you could at least tell me which districts are safe?)

Thank you very much

Bence Ági

Direct link Reply with quote

Beth Dennison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Chinese to English
+ ...
Cheap accommodation Jun 15, 2005

Bence Ági wrote:

Can anyone help me with some CHEAP accommodation? Tourist hostel, B&B - anything would be OK, but I am bit afraid of booking a place online, since I cannot be sure if it's a "nice" place or not.
(Londoners, if you could at least tell me which districts are safe?)

Bence,

If you want to stay in central London, cheap acommodation is very hard to find. A few years ago I stayed at an official YHA (Youth Hostel Association) hostel near to St Paul's Cathedral. I can't remember how much it cost, but by London standards I know it wasn't too bad. I am sure that if you find the YHA website, you'll be able to get more info.

Another alternative would be to stay in one of the suburbs. I used to live in Bromley in south London. I know that, for example, B&B accommodation there would be far cheaper than anything in central London. It is only about a half-hour train ride from central London. A few years ago I stayed in a B&B in Bromley called Villa St Philamena (I'm not sure on the spelling). It was nothing special, but was clean and in a relatively safe area. Another suburb of south London that is reasonable is Beckenham. You could maybe look in the Yellow Pages (www.yell.com) to see if there are any B&Bs listed. That is also connected by train.

I'm afraid that I don't have any more up-to-date info. If you see somewhere listed that you're not sure about, I may well have heard of it/know what the area's like, so feel free to e-mail me through my profile page.

I hope this helps a little.

Beth

PB Trans

Local time: 07:56
French to English
+ ...
Here is a suggestion Jun 15, 2005

This is a small hotel that is connected to a restaurant. It's owned by a nice older couple. I believe the rate is £50 per person. The rooms are very plain but they are clean and neat. There is a TV. You can ask for a room with a bathtub. I think it's the same price of a room with just a shower. There is also a nightclub near the hotel, but it is not noisy. The nightclub is below street level and the hotel is to the left, on the upper floors (above the restaurant).

The main advantage of this hotel is the location. It's on Chiswick High Road in Chiswick, which is a great area with many shops and restaurants. It's also close to Turnham Green tube station (District line) which will take you to central London in about 20 minutes or so.

If you stay there, make sure you go to the ice cream shop below! It's the best ice cream in London!

FOUBERT'S HOTEL
162-166 CHISWICK HIGH ROAD
LONDON W4 1PR
Telephone: 020 89945202 / 020 89956743

http://www.192.com/directory.cfm/CHISWICK/HOTEL/T1719352

More information on these sites:

http://www.uklodging.com/hotels/west/Fouberts/index.htm

http://www.visitlondon.com/directory/detail/10336H.html

I've also been to Plymouth, although for a very short time. It's a lovely area! Enjoy your stay!

[Edited at 2005-06-15 23:40]

[Edited at 2005-06-15 23:47]

[Edited at 2005-06-15 23:50]

[Edited at 2005-06-15 23:52]

[Edited at 2005-06-17 03:43]

Sybille  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Just another suggestion Jun 16, 2005

Have a look at www.happy-homes.com . I booked accomodation for a 5-days' stay in May 2005 in a private home. But those people also
offer accommodation for a longer period and it is not that expensive. Of course, much cheaper than in a hotel. If you have any questions, please contact me via my profile.

Sybille

[Edited at 2005-06-16 07:54]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you help? Looking for a place to stay in London

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs