Thread poster: italia

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:15
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 6, 2005

Dear all
I was just wondering if it was maybe a good idea not only to be able to state one's availability for one day but for a whole period. (saying sth as busy until xy+month)
Just an idea:)))
PS: Another platform has activated this funtion and personally I hold it very useful, as potential clients will know that one will not be able to accept projects within a definite period:)))
Interested in hearing fellow Prozians 2 cents:)))

Direct link Reply with quote

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:15
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Notes on availability Jul 6, 2005

It is not a bad idea. Maybe it could be a window where translator can enter notes regarding the availability. It is possible that you are not available for big projects but can take on small or medium. Or you will be available in the end of week or similar.

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Vacation Jul 6, 2005

Burrell wrote:

It is not a bad idea. Maybe it could be a window where translator can enter notes regarding the availability. It is possible that you are not available for big projects but can take on small or medium. Or you will be available in the end of week or similar.

Or the obvious: Stating vacation/holiday times all at once in advance.

sylvie
www.einmalich.net

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
also a good idea Jul 6, 2005

sylvie malich wrote:

Burrell wrote:

Or the obvious: Stating vacation/holiday times all at once in advance.

sylvie
www.einmalich.net[/quote]

HOPE HENRY WILL READ THIS:)))

[Edited at 2005-07-06 14:20]

[Edited at 2005-07-06 14:20]

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:15
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Splendid idea! Jul 6, 2005

Dear Italia,

Now that is a splendid idea! I often work on larger projects and am not be able to indicate that I am available, but with this I would be able to put a blurb that I can, for example, accept smaller projects of a max. of x words.

Also mentioned by someone else is vacation. That is also a good idea. It still prefer to personally inform my regular clients of my vacation plans. We are in regular contact and it just seems the right thing to me to do it personally with an email.

But, it would be nice to have a place where it is visible for potential clients to see or perhaps collegues who were planning to contact me.

I hope that this becomes a reality. My vote for it is 'yes.'

Have a great one!
Lucinda

Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
Commented Availability Jul 6, 2005

Commented availability indicator would be a great tool indeed.

Availability is not a simple "yes or no" question, and requires qualification: When and under which conditions a freelancer is or is not available.

It holds true especially for "unavailability." It may be misleading for the potential client. For example, a potential client seeking for a translator for his project with a deadline ahead would be clear if s/he is provided with a commented indicator that the freelancer is available after this day of the month, etc.

Personally, I use a blog-like script at my private website to indicate availability. For unavailability, I use a red traffic light with a header and a note describing the current work I have underdaken and the deadline of that work ("not available until...."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

stating exact availability

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs