Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
Inviting platinum members to beta test a members' map
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:46
SITE FOUNDER
Aug 6, 2005

Hi all,

We are working on a program to display representation of our platinum members on a map. The idea is that platinum members would be able to see where other platinum members in their country live, and would be able to give permission for their location to be represented on the map as well. Hopefully this will turn into a fun networking tool, perhaps useful in organizing powwows, etc.

We have an experimental system set up now. We expect there to be many data errors, and bugs, which will manifest themselves depending on your country and region. We are inviting members to help us debug.

If you are a platinum member and are willing to lend a hand, and are willing to allow others to see your location on a members map, please go to http://www.proz.com/?sp=maps and follow the instructions. If you are unable to place and then see yourself on the map, please post in this thread, making note of at which stage the process failed.

If all goes well, you'll see the map. Blue balloons are platinum members, yellow balloons are moderators, the green balloon is ProZ.com HQ, and the red balloon is you (provided that you are among the most recent 100 to add their locations to the map.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 10:46
English to Dutch
+ ...
Works perfectly here, Henry! Aug 6, 2005

Nice to see someone living off the coast of Iceland on what must be a very tiny island

[Edited at 2005-08-07 00:33]

Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Full platinum members only Aug 6, 2005

Hello Henry,

It would be nice if you emphasized that only full platinum members are allowed to take part in this test, as I, as a partial platinum member, receive the following message:
"This function is available to platinum members only. Please consider upgrading your membership here:"

This is one thing that is very annoying and sad: not at all being considered a platinum member although I also paid a certain amount of money and I paid for some kind of platinum membership.
It is even more paradox if you take a look at the left where it says "Welcome new Platinum Members!" where also partial platinum members are being welcomed as platinum members.

Thank you,

Michaela

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Own Country only? Aug 6, 2005

The process worked fine Henry. Excellent idea. However, my immediate reaction is that most members will have a particular interest in at least two countries.
In my case it is Italy in addition to the UK but, at the moment, there appears to be no option to view any country other than your own.

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I can see it and I love it! Aug 6, 2005

I entered my coordinates and clicked to see the map. First, I was hovering over Spain but as I zoomed in, more dots appeared over the UK. In 'hybrid' format, I saw dozens of dots. Mine wasn't there yet, but I trust it will appear over time. It would be nice to get an idea of where other proz.com members are in the UK, so I'm quite excited about this feature.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:46
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Michaela - please try it now Aug 6, 2005

Michaela Müller wrote:

It would be nice if you emphasized that only full platinum members are allowed to take part in this test...

An oversight. Thanks for pointing it out, and thanks for your support! Please try the page now...

xxxsarahl
Local time: 01:46
English to French
+ ...
It's working fine! Aug 6, 2005

Great idea, Henry!

Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No map here, either Aug 6, 2005

Thank you, Henry!

But I am not able to enter my location. Just like Evert, I tried with Firefox and IE.

I will try again later, I think.

Michaela

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still not working Aug 6, 2005

Hi Henry,
Congratulations! I think it`s a wonderful idea. However, I cannot make it work. The message: "In order to view the map showing the location of ProZ.com platinum members, you must first enter your own location.Please take a moment to do that from here". So, I try to do it from "here". Then, blank page and nothing happens. Can you help me, please? Thanks again, Henry, for everything you do to keep this site at the top.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 01:46
English to French
+ ...
I'm no longer there Aug 6, 2005

I could see my location on the map right after I entered it, but now it's gone.

German Services
Local time: 03:46
English to German
+ ...
Works fine Aug 6, 2005

No bugs, used Firefox 1.0.6.

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Worked perfectly Aug 6, 2005

Keep up with the good work!

Elías

Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
It works... Aug 6, 2005

Excellent, thanks! I loved trying to locate my road using the satellite images...

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Better, but still... Aug 6, 2005

Well, Henry, now it`s better. At least I could fulfill all the required steps. However, I do not see anybody (including my self) on the map.

langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to German
+ ...
Well, I did it.... Aug 6, 2005

using Maporama and copying Lat-Long as requested. Neither of the other functions worked for me, as I got stucked at "transferring data from mt.google.com" when trying to zoom in (using Firefox 1.0.4).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inviting platinum members to beta test a members' map

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums