I grade always with 4 , but I might be unfair to myself
Thread poster: aivars

aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 26, 2002

Every time I grade answers I use the default 4 , because most of the times I am grateful for the answers received and the least I can do is offer the maximum reward.

But since we are in a way, at least some of us, competing for jobs, it makes not much sense to systematically grade 4 when others grade you 2 or less, don´t grade you at all, or grade you based on \"face value\".

Sorry if these ramblings were already discussed I am relatively new, and you would not expect me to read all the previous posts.

Direct link Reply with quote

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 05:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Way to go, TransExp Jun 26, 2002

Remember: do to others what you would like done to yourself, or, as we also say in English, what goes around comes around.

I always grade with a default 4, as naive as it may seem, grading the generosity of spirit and helpfulness of my peers, who deserve a four for trying to help a peer in need, to the best of their knowledge. And I always try and do my best when helping others.

This is the spirit of Proz.com and I abide by this rule.

paola l m

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-26 12:09 ]

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Seems self-explanatory to me Jun 26, 2002

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)

3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking

2: Answer was acceptable

1: Answer was somewhat helpful

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
agree... Jun 26, 2002

it\'s very annoying when you spend half an hour on the net looking for references and information and then you get 1! Thanks a bunch! I always give 4.

G

claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
4. Jun 26, 2002

Couldn´t agree more with Paola. I always grade 4 by default. Never mind the points, or the jobs. At that moment you only thank the quick and accurate answer.

Of course I had the same feelings as TransExp, but at last decided that Grade 4 means \"thank you very much. I really needed it!!!\"

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:28
German to Italian
+ ...
I always grade 4 too Jun 26, 2002

but receive 1, 2, 3 OK most of times I receive 4.

It\'s really annoying, yes.

Why don\'t we do away with 1, 2, 3 grading?

Antonella

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Grading answer quality Jun 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-06-26 12:50, jacek wrote:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)

3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking

2: Answer was acceptable

1: Answer was somewhat helpful

Despite always being grateful for any help received, why give 4 if the answer is a) not correct (but the best of the bunch, and you want to close the question)

b) no reference provided except \"experience\", \"that\'s it\", or whatever, and you have to check it yourself? If you get say 5 answers like that, you have to do a lot of checking which may just be a waste of your time.

If the point system was used correctly, we may just end up with better quality answers instead of people racing to fling an answer at the asker within 30 seconds of being posted.

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
Italian to English
+ ...
some might say this is not a waste of time... Jun 27, 2002

If I get 5 answers with simply \"that\'s it\", or \"exp\" I actually don\'t mind checking things out. As a translator, I should already have a decent command of the language to be able to judge whether something fits or not. If anything, I think people are too quick to ask before having looked in 1) our very own glossary or 2) the various search engines out there on the net.

I do agree with your statement that people can be too quick to answer in some cases (myself included).

Quote:

On 2002-06-27 07:43, Amara wrote:

... If you get say 5 answers like that, you have to do a lot of checking which may just be a waste of your time.

If the point system was used correctly, we may just end up with better quality answers instead of people racing to fling an answer at the asker within 30 seconds of being posted.

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Nikki, Jun 27, 2002

If the answer is

a) not correct (but the best of the bunch)

b) no reference provided,

I do not see how I could grade it \"acceptable\" (=2 points). \"Somewhat helpful\" (=1 point) seems the only alternative to me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I grade always with 4 , but I might be unfair to myself

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search