Easy questions: there are also non translators out there
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 07:13
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 8, 2002

Yes, I know, some people ask very easy questions, that may easily be answered by a dictionary, paper or electronic.

And we huff and puff about it, and fan our tails like peacocks, me included.

Since Proz.com allows for easy questions, is connected to Yourdictionary.com and other sites, we should all refrain from commentaries that sound a bit like a put down of the people who do not know dictionaries in any form.

It is an occasion to teach the usefulness of dictionaries, glossaries and of Proz.com. And, I forgot to add, the beauty of languages!

Cheers to all

paola l m

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-08 13:09 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:13
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
I echo your sentiments. Jul 8, 2002

I am a newcomer to this site, barely two weeks. But I must say, this site must be of invaluable use to people with a broad range of language skills.

Even with the use of a dictionary for so-called \'simple\' translations, it is all to easy to make some unfortunate or even embarrasing errors of translation. There\'s been many a time I\'ve left a hosts table only to find that I have told them I am pregnant as opposed to full & so on...

Dictionaries can also be of variable quality too.

There is no room for stuffiness when communication is of the essence.

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Absolutely right Jul 8, 2002

yet I feel we should do away with awarding KudoZ and/or BrowniZ to easy questions.

All the huffing and puffing will wither at the same time.

Cheers to you as well,

EDS
[addsig]

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 07:13
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Easy questions: points or no points? Jul 8, 2002

We have discussed Evert\'s point several times, without coming to a strong consensus.

I feel that points should be awarded for helpfulness, and perhaps there should be a maximum of 2 points for easy questions.

The problem remains that some askers rank pro questions easy at times, and that therefore my suggestion above would be unfair.

Ciao, Evert!

paola l m

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
Italian to English
+ ...
Re: Easy questions: points or no points? Jul 8, 2002

I don\'t know if this is still the reason, but it used to be that all questions were \"easy\" if you were not logged in.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2002-07-08 13:58, ludovici wrote:

The problem remains that some askers rank pro questions easy at times, and that therefore my suggestion above would be unfair.

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:13
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Easy questions: KudoZ points or not? Jul 8, 2002

Hello,

I strongly feel that we should not award KudoZ points for Easy questions. Even my 3-year-old son knows how to say \"I love you\" and \"How are you\" in two languages (Albanian and English). Does this show any expertise in his \"translation abilities?\" Not really!

In my opinion, we should award BrowniZ points for easy questions. As far as classifying questions in easy and pro, this is the moderator\'s duty; he/she should go through the questions and make sure that they are classified properly. Of course it would be a difficult task for a big community moderator to do that, but there might be other people (co-moderators for example) willing to help with this task.

MHO,

Monika
[addsig]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have just referred this site to an NGO Jul 8, 2002

seeking international translations of words like \"peace\", \"justice\", \"solidarity\". I hope no one complains they do not buy a dictionary, since they need the translation in about 40 languages to put on cards and posters.

Cecilia

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-08 21:06 ]

aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
if you do away with the Browniz and KudoZ... Jul 9, 2002

nobody will bother answering.

Both difficult and easy questions belong in the life of a translator. And then of course you have \"easy\" questions that turn out to be pretty subtle.

I stand for status quo, the site works great.

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
All questions are easy if you know the answer Jul 9, 2002

I submit answers because I find the site interesting and informative, and I would gladly give any points awarded to a deserving charity.
[addsig]

Marion Bonner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Right on , George! :-)) Jul 9, 2002

In Germany we have a nice little saying: \"Es gibt keine dummen Fragen, sondern nur dumme Antworten.\" (\"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.\")

We all had to start somewhere, and believe me, I still remember vividly all the questions I had to ask in the beginning, and that despite my bilingual upbringing.

So let them ask...

I\'ll answer!

Der, die, das, wer, wie, was, wieso, weshalb, warum? Wer nicht fragt, bleibt dumm

Enjoy the sunshine,

Marion

)

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 14:13
Japanese to English
+ ...
Agree: an easy question is one you know the answer to Jul 9, 2002

And when the deadline is one hour away, proz is really a gift from above.

Maybe askers rate their questions \"easy\" out of modesty or embarrassment to admit they don\'t know what they perceive should be \"common sense\".

If ProZ stops awarding kudoz for easy, everyone will just be asking \"pro\".

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
"Pro" is not available to every asker Jul 10, 2002

Quote:

If ProZ stops awarding kudoz for easy, everyone will just be asking \"pro\".

That\'s just an option for registered members - those who do not wish to register, or who feed their questions through associated web sites have no choice but to ask \"Easy\".

Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:13
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Even Pro translators provide wrong answers Jul 10, 2002

Sometimes it is difficult to judge how easy a question is. However, from what I have been seeing here, even \"Pro\" translators provide wrong answers to easy questions.
[addsig]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:13
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
KudoZ for Pro and Brownies for Easy questions Jul 10, 2002

I agree with Monika about this point. And I also agree with Paola who says that helpfulness should be thanked. And I think Brownies should be a good thanks.

I would keep on answering, and I\'d feel more free of answering to easy questions, because sometimes they seem so easy that I\'m afraid others would think I do it for KudoZ.

About ranking easy and pro questions :

any platinum member can change this, so if we see an easy question that it\'s not, we should rank it again.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-10 18:12 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy questions: there are also non translators out there

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs