Mobile menu

Is Internet lexic always reliable? (using serach engine results in KudoZ)
Thread poster: Elías Sauza

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:28
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 8, 2002

At times there seems that participants in this forum rely only on the Internet search machines to help others in translations, and so do askers. I would like this to be an awareness to some of my colleagues.

Direct link Reply with quote

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 21:28
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree to a certain extent Jul 8, 2002

One has to be able to choose reliable sites. Google hits per se may not be meaningful.

paola l m

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not the number of hints, but the quality of them is, what matters Jul 8, 2002

Surely, sometimes it is only the number of hints (in German for example: \"Motherboard\", \"Mainboard\" or \"Hauptplatine\" are equal names, but the number of hints varies much).

To give an answer you must know what it is about. And the Interner search can help to provide, that your translatin is good.

On the other hand, if you do not know how to translate the asked phrase, you will hardly find the right keyword to search fo it, so you will not be able to provide a good answer.

So for me Internet searches are reliable as proof, but not as the only answer.

Best

Jerzy

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Importance of context and domain Jul 8, 2002

Search engine results treat the net as a giant corpus of languages. Seeing how a word is used in context is a valuable way to judge whether you have a word right, or whether you are using it appropriately.

The number of hits is only one of several pieces of information about word usage that a search returns. Besides the number of times it is used, another important datum is context.

This is where Google has an edge over most other major search engines; the results return your key search words in context,. You can often get a feel for the reliability of the usage just from seeing how the word in question is used in the excerpts provided, without having to follow every link.

Another good indicator is the domain; if the top hits are are all from countries where the language in question is not the mother tongue, you may suspect a calque, and it is prudent to examine more carefully.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-08 19:44 ]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Internet is as dictionaries : it all depends on the way you use it Jul 9, 2002

I think that if you look not only to the number of hints, but to the language, the country, the context, and if you read the articles you\'re referred to, you can rely on it. If we are prudent on this it is an excellent help and I wonder how this job was before Internet.

Leonardo Parachú  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Internet is one big dictionary... Jul 9, 2002

At least that´s the way my translation-aimed mind sees it. It´s just like browsing through an alive set of dictionaries... Of course you need to be selective. And, after all, every single answer anyone gives is helpful in some or another way.

Personally, I use it to make sure my instant perceptions of what a certain term might mean is not so off the track. Or to corroborate that a certain translation my dictionaries provide is in fact used.

Well, that´s my humble opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-09 04:36 ]

George Hopkins
Local time: 03:28
Swedish to English
Beware Jul 9, 2002

Be critical of all glossaries, whoever provides them.

Standard dictionaries such as Oxford, Webster, Collins or American Heritage are of course reliable, but other sources need to be treated with caution. Including those published by Standards organisations.

One example of a \"none-word\" is delimbing. Used by several reputable companies to denote the removing of branches (ie, logging). If the word did exist it would mean putting branches (limbs) back on.

Sonia Garrett
Portuguese to English
NO Jul 30, 2002

Always rely on books rather than the Internet.

Read and search books because they are more reliable than the Internet,

Go to the Library instead of the WWW if you want an answer.

The Internet does not provide reliable information.

Victor Gerardo Hernandez Ojeda
Mexico
English to Spanish
Estoy de acuerdo contigo en que no hay que creer todo Aug 19, 2002

En el caso de los libros, son sometidos a una revisión y aún así hay errores. Creo que en el caso de las páginas de internet es más fácil que se filtren los errores.

Yo creo que no se puede confiar 100% en una búsqueda de internet porque se pueden estar reforzando una mala traducción, la frecuencia no implica la verdad, como ya mencionó alguien antes arriba.

Incluso al \"hojear\" los glosarios, he visto que hay palabras que están mal traducidas.

Y al revisar las traducciones escogidas como correctas en las preguntas de kudoz, etc. he visto que algunas veces se escogieron como correctas traducciones que no lo eran, he incluso se incluyeron en los glosarios.
[addsig]

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:28
English to German
+ ...
I agree with GoodWords Aug 20, 2002

I use the Internet as a corpus where I can see a word in context. It is particularly helpful when dealing with neologisms or words in an unusual context.

Sometimes when I find a helpful website but not quite the information I need I email them and explain the problem. I always get a swift reply and am offered more help.

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 04:28
Japanese to English
+ ...
Why even bother? Aug 22, 2002

Isn\'t it unethical to accept a job in the first place if you are not familiar with the subject matter?

Most translators have some other background: business, technology, etc. The best approach is to stick to those areas, otherwise you\'ll find yourself searching Google -- and hating the translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Internet lexic always reliable? (using serach engine results in KudoZ)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs