Mobile menu

Having identity verified personally (in London)
Thread poster: Maria B
Maria B
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 6, 2006

I would like to have my identity verified.
I am not planning to go Platinum yet (because I can’t afford it at the moment) so I would like someone to verify my identity personally.
Is there a moderator who lives in London (or nearby) and who would be kind enough to meet with me and verify my identity?
If not, are there any plans to hold a Powwow (in London) in the near future where my identity could be verified?
As both my first name and surname are very common in Portuguese and Spanish someone else is already using it here in Proz, what name should I then use when I get my identity verified (I have a middle name but I don't want to use it)?
Thank you.
Best regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
English to Turkish
Please see FAQ Feb 6, 2006

Hi Maria,

It seems there is no London powwow in the horizon, yet - you can suggest one, though. But powwow or full membership purchase are not the only ways to have your identity verified. If you have a credit card on your name and have entered your name exactly the same way in your profile -be it visible or not- you can get VIDed for US$5. Please see the VID-related FAQ for more details.

Best regards,

María Roberto
Spanish to English
+ ...
Clarification, please Feb 10, 2006

Xola wrote: “ But powwow or full membership purchase are not the
only ways to have your identity verified. If you have a credit card on
your name and have entered your name exactly the same way in your
profile -be it visible or not- you can get VIDed for US$5. ”

Hi Xola:
I see these are the methods listed in the page you provide,
i.e., VID-related FAQ. These methods listed are different than what we could find in that same page about a month or two ago. The updated VID FAQ page includes fewer methods.
The former page included also additional methods such as the Web of Trust Method, the Faxed document method (for Plat members), and the Credential method (cross-reference with translator association). These 3 methods can still be found in the application page for VIDing (see below).

Are these 3 additional methods currently available?
(I'd like to know so that I could use one for my own VIDing)

María de los Ángeles Roberto

From the current application page at

The purpose of confirming members' IDs is to increase mutual trust across the site, in particular among members who don't know each other personally.
Methods of Verifying Identities ("VIDding")

Web of Trust Method

Certain members ("VIDders") have been empowered to verify the identities of site users who they meet in person. A member whose identity has been verified using the Web of Trust method has met a VIDder in person.

Credit Card / Platinum Payment Method

A member who has paid for premium or platinum membership using a credit card, paypal or other method with a name matching the name in their profile is considered verified. On March 5, 2003, all Platinum members were retroactively verified using this method.

Powwow / Event Method

Members who bring photo ID to powwows or other events may request that event organizers VID their profiles (organizers must have the requisite authority to verify identities).

Verotrust Method's former partner Verotrust offered a method of verifying an identity against their private database of US residents. 18 members took advantage of this service while it was available. Verotrust has since discontinued the service.

Faxed document method

Platinum members and moderators may fax documents establishing their identities to +1-315-463-5070. Since this is a manual process, the service is offered only in rare circumstances.

Credential method (cross-reference with translator association)

Members who have earned credentials from a major translator association, and have had those credentials verified by, are considered to have verified identities.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Having identity verified personally (in London)

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs