Is our industry recovering? What\'s the latest trend? Slowing down even further or on the up?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:35
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Jul 31, 2002

It would be interesting to know what the situation\'s like in different countries all over the world. Maybe some of you (especially if you live in Canada ) haven\'t even heard of a slow down!

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-31 10:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-31 10:25 ]

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Not sure. Jul 31, 2002

Since I started in late 1994, year 2000 has been the best year for me. Last year, revenue dropped about 20%. This year looks decent up to now. But this is only one person\'s data and does not have much bearing on the current industry situation. I live in the US and translate English Chinese.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-31 10:34 ]

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Variable Jul 31, 2002

To be honest, I think the extent to which we are affected by downturns in the economy is largely dependent on the language pairs in which we work.

I work in very common language combinations (French & German -> English) for customers in the UK and Germany. If anything, demand is increasing, and my rates are higher than they have been in previous years. But I would imagine it might be more difficult in other language pairs.

FWIW

Mary

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Echoing Mary Jul 31, 2002

In terms of income, every year has gone up with respect to the previous one; partly because I impose a yearly tariff increase (lots of room to do this in Spain, where it has to be made part of a continuing client-education effort towards quality), so that even when demand flags (which is seasonal where I am) the figures climb. I have not checked individual source-target combinations, but by target language, English accounts for an increasingly higher percentage (whereas in previous years I would... See more
In terms of income, every year has gone up with respect to the previous one; partly because I impose a yearly tariff increase (lots of room to do this in Spain, where it has to be made part of a continuing client-education effort towards quality), so that even when demand flags (which is seasonal where I am) the figures climb. I have not checked individual source-target combinations, but by target language, English accounts for an increasingly higher percentage (whereas in previous years I would get drafted for Tagalog publication projects, I\'m usually too busy when they pop up now). Likewise, my combinations are the most standard (Sp/Fr/Ge>En), so they would reflect that part of the traffic. Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Strong recovery... Jul 31, 2002

Hi Giovanni,

after this wintertime stagnation and all the problems deriving from the eleventh of Sept., personally I\'m experiencing a substantial growth for Hi-tech projects, especially related to Japan, Italy and UK. Still the US market shows a depressed vitality.

Tanuki (X)
Tanuki (X)
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Huh? What is a 'slow down'? Jul 31, 2002

Italy ain\'t Canada, however...

Most definitely on the up, thanks.

Rosy skies, nice invoices, very happy Clients, great feedback°.

And... guess what? Lucky me - this year I did not even need a CAT tool°! )

One never knows the future, yet so far 2002 has brought in bountiful harvests, especially in the JP>IT combina
... See more
Italy ain\'t Canada, however...

Most definitely on the up, thanks.

Rosy skies, nice invoices, very happy Clients, great feedback°.

And... guess what? Lucky me - this year I did not even need a CAT tool°! )

One never knows the future, yet so far 2002 has brought in bountiful harvests, especially in the JP>IT combination.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that so far 2002 has been greatly influenced by Soccer.

Now, had it not been for that Referee...

°Scout\'s, nay Translator\'s honor.

Tanuki II

[Italy, JP>IT, EN>IT]

Quote:

On 2002-07-31 10:24, Verbum Ltd. wrote:

It would be interesting to know what the situation\'s like in different countries all over the world. Maybe some of you (especially if you live in Canada ) haven\'t even heard of a slow down!

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:35
SITE FOUNDER
proz.com job postings: steady upward, with bump in feb, mar, apr Jul 31, 2002

The curve of job postings on ProZ.com (over almost 3 years) shows a steady upward trend with no discernible dips, apart from holidays. (The curve is steady before and after Sep 11.)

There was one boost from February to April of this year, but that seems to have subsided, putting us back on the old curve. This month has been relatively strong.

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Difficult to guess out Jul 31, 2002

It is dificult to guess out the exact extent of the fall or rise in business. It is quite understandable for public domain sites to project an upward trend. But heart to heart , each translator knows his own situation. If PROZ does not pep us up, who will?

Telesforo Fernandez

PaulaMac (X)
PaulaMac (X)
French to English
+ ...
The work keeps on comin'! Jul 31, 2002

You\'re right Giovannie, we ARE lucky in Canada, particularly official languages (Fr-Eng, Eng-Fr) translators. Not only is there a lot of translation done by the federal and some provincial governments, the translator population in Canada is \"greying\" and there is shortage of experienced translators. I am constantly telling people this, but when they hear the hours I work, they lose interest very quickly. The translation schools in Canada are finding it difficult to graduate the numbers nee... See more
You\'re right Giovannie, we ARE lucky in Canada, particularly official languages (Fr-Eng, Eng-Fr) translators. Not only is there a lot of translation done by the federal and some provincial governments, the translator population in Canada is \"greying\" and there is shortage of experienced translators. I am constantly telling people this, but when they hear the hours I work, they lose interest very quickly. The translation schools in Canada are finding it difficult to graduate the numbers needed, and of course, it takes time (a lot of it!) to gain experience and grow as a translator. The result is that experienced translators are working so hard, they are in danger of burning out (which may be why we can\'t find the time or lack the inclination to explore CAT tools).Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree with all of the above... Jul 31, 2002

For Henry... some of the jobs I have assigned through Proz.com were not even posted for bids. I simply sent a group mailing to top professionals shown.

Perhaps we should also take into account this aspect. Would it be worth Proz.com while to have a short survey on this, i.e. how many jobs were assigned through direct contact through the database?

all the best

paola l m

proz.com saved my day yesterday, yet again. Great professionals
... See more
For Henry... some of the jobs I have assigned through Proz.com were not even posted for bids. I simply sent a group mailing to top professionals shown.

Perhaps we should also take into account this aspect. Would it be worth Proz.com while to have a short survey on this, i.e. how many jobs were assigned through direct contact through the database?

all the best

paola l m

proz.com saved my day yesterday, yet again. Great professionals on this site!
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
hidden jobs ~= public jobs Jul 31, 2002

We have indirect ways of tracking, and private jobs seem to be roughly equal to public jobs. The private jobs tend to be more desirable assignments, from larger clients.

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Apparent recovery Aug 19, 2002

Ciao Giovanni,

I recorded a steady and regular increase between 1988 and 2000/01, with the last of those years being especially good. 2001/02 was quite a poor one, right from the start (April 2001). So far, 2002/03 has shown strong recovery. This is true in all my language combinations (Eng/Ger/Heb).

Regards,

John
[addsig]

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
stockmarket affected business Aug 20, 2002

Hello

If you work in a stockmarket related business there are serious problems this year... (you even risk to lose all your work).

Regards

Kurt

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-20 14:23 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is our industry recovering? What\'s the latest trend? Slowing down even further or on the up?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »