Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Suggestion: 24 hours to elapse prior to awarding
Thread poster: xxxTanuki
xxxTanuki
Japanese to Italian
+ ...
Aug 4, 2002

In order to improve the quality of the answers, as well as the significance of the overall scorings, a small note could be added, suggesting Askers to let elapse at least 24 hours from posting prior to assigning Kudoz.

Ideally, this (hinted) time interval might allow:

- more satisfactory answers (in terms of accuracy, collection of documentary evidence, reflection, analysis, exchange of information/opinions, etc.).

- the intervention of a higher number of translators (including those temporarily elsewhere or at rest).

- a higher intrinsic value of the Kudoz assigned, and also (hopefully) a higher quality of the Asker\'s final translation.

IMHO, such a note would be best expressed as a hint - (i.e. as a non-mandatory suggestion).

Cheers,

Tanuki

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-04 15:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-04 17:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-04 17:30 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:19
Member (2004)
English to Italian
agree 100% Aug 4, 2002

no need to close the question after 10 minutes, even if you think the answers given fit well within the contest. The point of Kudoz, in my modest opinion, is to gather all the possible information before choosing the most suitable (or closest) answer.

G

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:19
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Agree in principle, but not as long as 24 hours Aug 4, 2002

I believe any asker looking up information or FAQs will find advice along these lines there, but since many don\'t look there, a reminder on the page would be a good thing.

But most askers are working to a deadline and want to get the job wrapped up and off to the customer, usually in a lot less than 24 hours. I allow at least two hours myself, so I would go for that, but if the consensus is for a longer period I would go along with it. But there is not much satisfaction in asking a question, having to get the job off with your own best guess entered, and then finding the correct answer in KudoZ the next day.

Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
Member (2001)
French to English
+ ...
Good idea Aug 4, 2002

This sounds good to me. It\'s true that many proz are sleeping while others are working...

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:19
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Re: 24 period before KudoZ points can be awarded Aug 4, 2002

It\'s in my best intersts and I always do it, sometimes even more than 24 hours.

Nikita

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
a very good idea! Aug 4, 2002

even if some askers might need an urgent answer, due to deadlines of delivery, waiting before closing the answer will allow to receive further comments and suggestions that might be useful for future work, and the answerers will have more time for researches and reasoning...

Gilda

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:19
German to English
+ ...
Agree 100% Aug 4, 2002

Henry, can you add a note to that effect?

Trudy

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
1000% agree Aug 4, 2002

It is so annoying when you answer and then find the question is already closed - not even 10 minutes after it was posted! And this happens quite frequently. However, it seems to be a certain pattern: I noticed that the same people routinely close their questions after the first answer comes. It would be so good to give them a hint that the first answer is not always the best one!

Magda

PS And this would also take into account different time zones we live in.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-04 18:01 ]

Adriana Esposito  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2014)
English to Italian
+ ...
24 hours grants the correct (best?) translation in the glossaries Aug 4, 2002

And waiting 24 hours you can make sure the entry in the glossary is the best one, for future references...

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
2-year delay Aug 4, 2002

Well everybody seems to agree here so I suppose the motion is passed, although surely in some cases a lightning five-minute digital embrace could be wholly satisfactory for both partners and too quick to attract general attention.

Nonetheless, I was surprised to answer a Kudos question a couple of days ago two years after the date of asking (http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&eid_c=22039&id=25970), and then find that I have been awarded points within the space of a few minutes. Too fast?

Respect General and Marshal

Derek

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
24 hours is probably too long Aug 4, 2002

...some people might simply forget to grade their questions. This issue has been discussed quite a few times before - I\'d agree that a note recommending to wait is a good idea.

aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
another really bad idea Aug 5, 2002

A good answer could just be given in seconds. I don´t see why you want to make things slower, while everything moves faster (deadlines, machines, services, etc.).

Speed is a component in the quality formula.

Everybody is free to wait for 24 hs. or more to reward if that´s his or her choice.

But please, don´t impose your slow pace on others

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Hi all Aug 5, 2002

I don\'t agree!

I agree with Jack, Derek and Ralf... and try to make life easier, once the asker is satisfied with an answer, be it after 4 minutes or four hours or four days... where is the problem?

Have fun

Cheers

)))

Antonella

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The problem is jumping too quickly - often for the wrong answer Aug 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-05 08:15, Andreella wrote:

I don\'t agree!

I agree with Jack, Derek and Ralf... and try to make life easier, once the asker is satisfied with an answer, be it after 4 minutes or four hours or four days... where is the problem?

The problem is that quite often askers \"jump\" and grade the first answer that looks reasonable. It might be - but then it could also be someone\'s \"answer\" sourced from LEO or found on the basis of x Google hits. As it happens, the \"case is closed\" while other members are still researching. A note of caution to \"aivars\" - slow pace might mean in-depth research: I sometimes work on an answer for 15+ minutes.

Nobody says that you should move a deadline just because you\'re waiting for someone else to respond, and sometimes you can see after 3 to 4 hours that there\'s no additional value created. But don\'t forget that this site operates on a 24-hour basis - and those on the other side of the planet might, in fact, have valuable information. Why waste this opportunity?

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
On this I agree with you Aug 5, 2002

Why waste this opportunity?

[/quote]

nevertheless this decision should be taken by the asker and not \'imposed\' by the site.

Pros and Cons: sometimes people fighting for points and offering \'so-called different solutions\' just make it more difficult for the asker to concentrate on really good answers. It depends on the kind of term/word.

Cheers

Antonella

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: 24 hours to elapse prior to awarding

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs