Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Is Proz.com becoming a credit reference agency rather than a source of work?
Thread poster: Hang Nguyen-Padfield
Hang Nguyen-Padfield  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:33
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Mar 30, 2006

We mostly use proz.com as a credit reference agency rather than a source of
work (giving up bidding on jobs because of numerous reasons) and advertising vehicle. Do you have the same
experience?

Best regards,
Hang Nguyen-Padfield
Professional Vietnamese Linguist
M.A. in Translation Studies

Vietnamese Language Services, Inc.
Voice: 407-826-9386
Fax: 407-540-9351
Email: hang@viet-translate.com
Web: www.viet-translate.com

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
So far, yes Mar 30, 2006

Hi Hang, hi all

Well, so far I have checked the Blue Board a zillion times more than I've been contacted for a job or a prospective job, so in that sense, I guess the answer is that to me, yes, it is more a "credit reference site" than a source of work.

Having said that, it's worth noting that:

1) I have an interview tomorrow and an agency is proofing a test of mine for jobs posted here some days ago (Cross your fingers for me, people!!!, hehe), so it's not that you don't get any job opportunities here.

2) I go out for agencies instead of waiting for somebody to notice my profile and call me, so I check the BB a lot to know which companies are serious and which are cowboys.

Regards,
Jero

ketter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
French to English
Don't find work here Mar 30, 2006

Hi, I checked the BB more than anything else. I subscribed for a year and got one small job out of it. My subscription just ran out, but I didn't renew. It wasn't worth the cost for me.

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
English to Russian
+ ...
never considered ProZ as a "source of work" Mar 30, 2006

I strongly doubt the ProZ Founder ever consider ProZ to become a "source of work". Work usually comes from clients...

RE. credit reference agency - I believe it is also a weird assumption. What do you mean by using ProZ as a "credit reference agency"?

Well, English is not my native language that's why I may not understand, sorry.

Why you can not just enjoy ProZ as a unique environment? I do. Enjoy and have fun. That was the genuine idea, I believe)

Hang Nguyen-Padfield wrote:

We mostly use proz.com as a credit reference agency rather than a source of work (giving up bidding on jobs because of numerous reasons) and advertising vehicle. Do you have the same experience?

[Edited at 2006-03-30 03:59]

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
German to English
I agree with Vladimir Mar 30, 2006

There is also a lot of information available on Proz.com (Kudoz, articles, forums, Glosspost, etc., etc.)

It's not just about getting jobs.

xxxBrandis
Local time: 09:33
English to German
+ ...
but howelse would you check, how serious the outsourcer is.. Mar 30, 2006

Hi!
if you had a physical client in your office wanting to buy your services, which best method would you adapt to check his credit worthiness. Do you ask for his bank statement or criminal record or the similar or a deposit payment up-front. At proz.com you come in contact with various clients from all over the world, where physical movement is not necessary (easy communication and saving energy) so one best source for such information is BB, the second would be your PO and so on the third one would be prompt payment (electrnic means or banks ). BB´s function is to make this information transparent to community ( all in the same can !) because we would all then have the same question about any given outsourcer, for whom we all have worked or would be working at one time or the other. What about the first, one time outsourcers ? Situation gets tough here, due to lack of any information. How do you check this out. Best Brandis

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Proz is much more than either! Mar 30, 2006

I joined Proz to get my profile up, bid for a few jobs, never won any of them, and soon stopped bothering with them, but I soon discovered that Proz - at least for me - is definitely worth the membership fee, for the following reasons:

1) Direct contacts with potential clients - several of my clients contacted me after having seen my profile on Proz

2) Glossaries - indispensible reference source for tricky terminology

3) Kudoz questions - for when you really get stuck

4) Virtual community of translators - I like to think of you all as my "virtual colleagues", seeing as the only real ones I have are my two cats!

5) Blue board

I could probably get most of these benefits without paying, but as Proz has become part of my working life, I think it's only fair to contribute to its success by forking out the membership fee.

abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 13:33
English to Urdu
+ ...
Ordinary Members hardly win a job from here Mar 30, 2006

Marie-Helene Hayles wrote:

I joined Proz to get my profile up, bid for a few jobs, never won any of them, and soon stopped bothering with them, but I soon discovered that Proz - at least for me - is definitely worth the membership fee, for the following reasons:

1) Direct contacts with potential clients - several of my clients contacted me after having seen my profile on Proz

4) Virtual community of translators - I like to think of you all as my "virtual colleagues", seeing as the only real ones I have are my two cats!

5) Blue board

I could probably get most of these benefits without paying, but as Proz has become part of my working life, I think it's only fair to contribute to its success by forking out the membership fee.

The ordinary members like me have a very little opportunity to win a job from BB because all the benefit is harvested by the Platinum Members. One is very lucky if an agency picks him/her up by viewing his/her profile or respond favourably upon receiving a translator's resume.

But even then this excellent meeting point of translators is very beneficial for the reasons cited by Marie-Helene.

regards,

Aburiaz

Martina Frey  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
That's the point Mar 30, 2006

Marie-Helene Hayles wrote:

5) Blue board

I fully agree with Marie-Helene. I have been a member for a few years now and I have got out some really good and valuable business connections since then, not necessarily on the direct way by bidding for jobs, but indirectly, as Marie-Helene already pointed out.

In the beginning, ProZ.com was a good platform for me to learn a lot about the translation business - in every regard. From the terminology work up to assurance questions.

Also, I could build up few but very precious friendships through ProZ.com.
My experience as a freelance translator is, that sometimes you might feel VERY lonely - then you enter the ProZ.com site and you almost at once get the feeling that there are a lot of collegues all over the world who share the same feelings and you have the chance to get in contact with them.

I think the membership with all the advantages you can get out of it is really worth the money.

Martina

Italian to English
+ ...
Martina's got it in a nutshell! Mar 30, 2006

Martina Frey wrote:

My experience as a freelance translator is, that sometimes you might feel VERY lonely - then you enter the ProZ.com site and you almost at once get the feeling that there are a lot of collegues all over the world who share the same feelings and you have the chance to get in contact with them.

Martina

Couldn't agree more.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Imo ProZ is what you make of it Mar 30, 2006

Hi Hang,
Imo this site is what you make of it.

I joined years ago, registered, checked out a few jobs, saw rates lower than mine and let it go.

Years later I checked the site out again, registered again as I couldn’t for the life of me remember my old login details, created my profile, bought Platinum membership as I was in the mood for investing, browsed the forums and found some great info. I also joined in kudos and had a great time helping people out.

In the first case I was never contacted for a job, in the second I’ve been contacted for several good jobs. I get contacted my agencies asking me for rates and availability almost daily, and I’m now hosting my web site with ProZ and thinking about cancelling hosting with Yahoo, as hosting my site with them costs the same as ProZ membership + hosting + all the added bonuses.

I did contact a few agencies on the Blue Board but nothing much came of that. At the moment I don’t bid for jobs and I’ve actually turned job notification off, as many jobs are like “I’ve got this incredibly rush job going for peanuts” anyway, so I’m just not interested.

For me ProZ isn’t a place where I look for work, it’s a place where I get offered work. So well worth the time and money invested.

Looking back I’d say it was a mistake not buying membership and joining in years ago, but then I was considering the site more a place to look for work, rather than a place to get contacted. One thing that put me off was the site seemed pretty complicated and I didn’t really understand how it worked.

You won’t notice how complex the site can seem if you’ve been here for a while, but I think it can be pretty daunting to anyone approaching it for the first time. Perhaps this also means some people aren’t using the site in a way that really suits their needs, and miss its potential.
Jo

Jo Macdonald
Italian English Freelance Translation
Via Arno 14/G
47042 Cesenatico (FC) Italy
Phone +39 (0)547 675373
Web: http://italian-english-translation.my.proz.com
E-mail: info@italian-english-translation.my.proz.com
ProZ profile: www.proz.com/pro/122941

Daniel Martin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:33
English to Spanish
Brand new platinum member Mar 30, 2006

I just paid the platinum fee one week ago.

I will tell you in 6 months ^^

Italian to English
+ ...
(off topic) Martina, did you notice we both went platinum on the same day? Mar 30, 2006

telefpro
Local time: 14:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
It is a huge market place Mar 30, 2006

Proz.com is a huge market place for translators. In all,, I believe there are over a hundred thousand members. So getting jobs is quite tough. It helps a lot as a translators help line.
I myself, got lot of help and have also helped others in turn.

I just put up my profile on feb. 06, 2006. And it is great, it helps a lot. But jobs........... it may be tough even for paid members.

Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 10:33
English to Estonian
+ ...
Platinum doesn't make that much difference Mar 30, 2006

aburiaz wrote:

The ordinary members like me have a very little opportunity to win a job from BB because all the benefit is harvested by the Platinum Members.

I got a lot more work via Proz.com before I signed up for Platinum membership (which I didn't get anyway, as Platinums are just plain members now). Most of my work comes from personal contacts. I do make use of the Blue Board here, and occasionally Kudoz as well.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Proz.com becoming a credit reference agency rather than a source of work?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs