Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Become a En->Ru translator NOW! (proposal for cooperation)
Thread poster: xxxExpert2003
xxxExpert2003
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2002

Become a En->Ru translator NOW!

Hello Translators,

Add En->Ru pair in your languages pairs immediatelly.

Then forward all En-Ru translation orders to me, I shall actually work

them out.

Get your 50% share actually for doing nothing.

Isn\'t it a good cooperation?

About me: I am university educated translator, native Russian,

I provide En-Ru translation on absolutely *any* subject.

Yuri. (Expert2003)

Direct link

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:54
Member (2002)
German to English
No thanks Aug 10, 2002

And who is responsible to the customer if you don\'t \"work out\" the translations correctly?

I suggest that nobody should pass work on to another translator (on a commission basis or otherwise) without first having personally checked the quality of that person\'s work. Let\'s face it: If you enter into a contract with a customer for a translation and then pass the work to someone you have never met then you are taking a big risk, not to mention the time you require to check the translation (in this case possibly without understanding the source language) before it is passed to the customer.

Thanks but no thanks!!

Direct link

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:54
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Speaking on behalf of the English > Russian subcommunity Aug 10, 2002

Not all of us are like that. Most work straight.

Cheers,

Oleg

Direct link

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
The person's a fool Aug 10, 2002

This also appeared on at least one mailing list to which I subscribe. It\'s not only risky for anybody taking up the offer, but I don\'t think much of anybody claiming to translate in absolutely *any* field.

Direct link

Olga Simon  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Excuse-moi, is this a bad joke? Aug 10, 2002

Or is the \"proposal\" serious?

Am I missing something? (there is no keystroke yet to express my emotions - goggled eyes and an open mouth).

Direct link

Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Support request sent to Henry and Marta Aug 10, 2002

I see that all of you take it seriously - therefore this is no bad joke.

I sent a support request to Henry and Marta as I consider this a misuse of the site and pure abuse of the Russian community.

In my mind such behaviour is as unethical as one can get and the ProZ member who posted such an \"offer\" should be reprimanded as a minimum.

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
This thread should be locked or deleted... Aug 10, 2002

...and \'Expert 2003\' should get a severe warning that his/her post is in breach of the Forum Rules of Etiquette:

[quote]

The following are not allowed:

Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation

[/unquote]

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:54
SITE FOUNDER
I let the posting through Aug 10, 2002

I think this posting walks a fine line. Though it is commercial, it is also a proposal for cooperation, which is welcome here.

I permitted the posting because there are two ways to do this sort of thing. There is a wrong way, which is to deceive, and there is a right way, which is to cooperate. Yuri may intend to do it the right way, we don\'t know.

When I was translating Jp->En, I sometimes got requests from my clients for En->Jp--a pair I am not qualified to handle. But after I met an En->Jp translator who I carefully screened (first by seeing her work, checking it with others, then by passing a small job and making sure she delivered on time, etc.), I began to tell clients that I could introduce an En->Jp translator who would meet their needs. That translator and I agreed to pass work to each other. In this way, we were both able to more fully satisfy our clients. Nothing wrong with that.

I should say that I tried working with several people before finding one I could rely on, and whose work I could be proud of. Don\'t assume anyone is good, or reliable! Another thing that was important to me is that although I can not produce Japanese text that appears native, I understand well enough to know when there are errors. Personally, I would hesitate to cooperate in this way with someone whose work I could not check.

Direct link

Germany
English to German
+ ...
I beg to differ Aug 10, 2002

Henry,

Of course it\'s your decision, but I strongly believe the posting is way out of line. Inviting others to cooperate is fine - building a network with people whose background you have verified is one of the strengths of this site.

But looking at \"Expert\'s\" solicitation, in conjunction with his/her profile (\"I am THE BEST En-Ru, Ru-En translator\" - at USD 0.05...), all I can say is that it\'s simply unprofessional. I simply don\'t believe anyone\'s statement that they can deliver high-quality translations in *any* subject, and I don\'t believe ProZ is well advised to condone this.

Direct link

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear BEST En-Ru, Ru-En translator, Aug 10, 2002

Will you be so kind as to show us your skills by gaining at least 1 (ONE) KudoZ point?

Faithfully yours,

one of MEDIOCRE EnRu translators

P.S. Here is a phrase from your Profile Page: \"I can proof-read and expertise translations performed by another translators.\"

Dear Expert #2003, are you really quite sure that an adjective \"another\" should be used with a noun \"translators\" being in plural form? I believe that prior to proof-reading translations performed by OTHER translators you should take some time and proof-read your own Profile, shouldn\'t you?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 18:23 ]

Direct link

Bob Kerns  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
Please don't delete this thread Aug 10, 2002

If this thread is deleted then it\'s only a matter of time until some other idiot comes up with the same \"cooperation\" idea. The more members who read this the better; maybe the general negative response which all can see will stop some other newcomers to the site from trying the same thing and, more importantly, will stop other translators with little experience from cooperating in this way with complete strangers.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 14:20 ]

Direct link

Germany
English to German
+ ...
You're right, Robert Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 14:18, RKKerns wrote:

If this thread is deleted then it\'s only a matter of time until some other idiot comes up with the same \"cooperation\" idea. The more members who read this the better; maybe the general negative response which all can see will stop some other newcomers to the site from trying the same thing.

...but I still believe this shouldn\'t have gone through in the first place, and should be locked asap.

Direct link

Hungary
English to Russian
+ ...
Sorry to disagree, Henry Aug 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 13:59, Henry wrote:

Though it is commercial, it is also a proposal for cooperation.

There is a wrong way, which is to deceive, and there is a right way, which is to cooperate. Yuri may intend to do it the right way, we don\'t know.

But after I met an En->Jp translator who I carefully screened, I began to tell clients that I could introduce an En->Jp translator who would meet their needs.

What the guy is offering here is quite obvious - go ahead and start claiming somethng that you have no clue about, and pass everything on to me, since here I am , the best of the best. With that much information on file there is no doubt that this expert is actually able to deliver high quaity translation on virtually \"any\" subjest (Rocket science included).

Henry, the example that you are bringing shows how you worked in YOUR language pair. I do not think you can bring an example of claiming your ability to translate from Traditional Chinese into Afrikaans. Can you?

Or should I go ahead and put on my profile that I am able to translate Hindu > Tagalog? Any subject?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 14:30 ]

Direct link

xxxExpert2003
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stop goggling your eyes and start thinking Aug 10, 2002

Dear Olga,

I noticed you are both En-Ru and Ru-En

translator. What is your native language - Russian or English? You know that many agencies declare \"We provide translations, performed by native language speakers only\".

How do you explain them what is your native language? It must be the only one language.

I am a native Russian, Russian is my mother\'s tongue and I can translate texts on absolutely *any* subject into Russian (who doubts - just send me a sample text for translation). There might be another problem - I may understand source (English) text incorrectly. It\'s why a cooperation of a native English speaker (who can speak Russian quite \"a little\") and a native Russian speaker (who can speak English quite \"a little\") is appeared to be very productive: they will be able to provide much more quality Ru-En and En-Ru translation by working together and by consulting each other by email.

Olga, let\'s try to cooperate this way. I have several MS degrees in several sciences (electronics, machinery, mathematics) and my opinion is that we could complement each other. (It\'s a very simple and obvious idea, I don\'t understand your eyes goggling while reading it...)

Robert Kerns is right. First you have to examine my skills by giving me a test translation. Business is risk. And nobody never gives you a 100% guarantee of knowing

absolutely all. I have 50+ external En-Ru-En electronic dictionaries on 50+ areas of human activities and I guess, I can claim that I can translate in absolutely *any* field. Give me a test and then make a conclusion. Again, (if you still did not realized), my idea is providing PERMANENT CONSULTATIONS between two cooperating translators - i.e. Russian native speaker and English native speaker; only by working this way thay will produce good results

(not by competing, not by challenging each other) - we must always be thinking that helping each other we create a mutual gain.

If you would think it over more, you made a conclusion that it is a very productive idea. Or... you are just an introvert and are able to work only individually. Me-not.

Regards,

Yuri (Expert2003)

PS: I am open for friendly cooperation with all who is able to comprehend a core of my idea wisely, not just critisizing it without grounds.

Quote:

On 2002-08-10 13:19, OlgaSimon wrote:

Or is the \"proposal\" serious?

Am I missing something? (there is no keystroke yet to express my emotions - goggled eyes and an open mouth).

Direct link

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Folks calm down! Aug 10, 2002

Henry is right!

The \"professionalism\" of this Expert #2003 is so obvious...

And if there\'re no such postings where shall we practice our sarcasm and irony, I wonder? It would be so boring not to have such funny guys with us.

Nikita

P.S. Quote: \"I am a native Russian, Russian is my mother\'s tongue and I can translate texts on absolutely *any* subject into Russian. There might be another problem - I may understand source (English) text incorrectly.\"

The Art of Translation is first of all to UNDERSTAND THE SOURCE TEXT CORRECTLY. And only then you should adequately render it in your native (target) language. If you can\'t correctly understand the source text you can\'t translate it. It\'s not enough to speak your mother\'s tongue. Even morons do.

Quote: \"I have 50+ external En-Ru-En electronic dictionaries on 50+ areas of human activities and I guess, I can claim that I can translate in absolutely *any* field.\"

I\'ve got about 400 electronic and paper dictionaries on my shelves but I can\'t \"claim that I can translate in absolutely *any* field\". One should be too cheeky to say so. And amateurish.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-10 17:51 ]

Direct link

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Become a En->Ru translator NOW! (proposal for cooperation)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs