Mobile menu

Asking KudoZ questions about text samples of posted jobs
Thread poster: pzulaica
pzulaica
Local time: 12:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 31, 2001

I don\'t know what you think about this but I think that is really bad that some people post KudoZ questions about terms in text samples from jobs posted here in ProZ!

If they have to do that about a simple paragraph that is supposed to be there so a translator can judge if he is suitable for such job or not, and to prove to the outsourcerer that he can do the job, but if a translator is forced to ask fellow translators is because he can\'t do it.

I think it is disrespectful to other translators that bid for the same job.

What do you think?

Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

lcmolinari  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
French to English
+ ...
What can you do but laugh? Nov 1, 2001

I just saw this 2 days ago, shortly after a job was posted and that\'s what I did - chuckle to myself.

All I can say is that this is none too smart on the part of the asker/bidder as they are not likely to get a large response from Proz, but also run the risk that the outsourcer will see that they had to consult with the community before being able to translate the short sample text!

While you might need to check or look up a word when translating a sample text to bid on a job, the last place I would go would be to Proz, in this instance.

But...what can we do? No need to squash or regulate it. No rules against it. All we can do is laugh.

pzulaica
Local time: 12:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're absolutely right Nov 2, 2001

I noticed that before but when I posted that was because I had just had it. No need to get mad, right? It\'s just laughable.

I\'ll try to be tolerant to those \"professional\" translators.

Paula

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:05
French to English
Funny perhaps but... Nov 3, 2001

This is the first time I have heard of this happening for a sample text for a bid. From one point of view, it seems pretty silly, but when you think twice, it shows ingenuity and that the person has the wherewithall to find solutions. All in all, my reaction is the same as yours, if you need assistance to get through the sample you ought not to be doing the job.

Once a person has got the job and starts working on it, it is not unusual to see a certain number of questions being posted up which are obviously from a Proz job. Some clients do provide a fair bit of context and I can remember clearly identifying one shortish urgent job where the successful bidder posted every other technical term she came across. I remember thinking that she had bitten off more than she could chew and that the lucky client was in fact paying a low rate for one person to do the job when three or four of us were contributing rather heavily to it. That says nothing about the quality of the final product of course but it does illustrate a point. We are there to help after all.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-03 18:56 ]

Zenny Sadlon
Local time: 14:05
English to Czech
+ ...
It's the survival of the fittest, not the best or prettiest. Nov 7, 2001

Have you noticed the ratio of replies/views for this issue?

It seems only a few are willing to address the issue, but many more are interested in seeing what others have to say. Sure, it\'s one of those questions that may make one\'s core beliefs be exposed. Well, I figure I\'ve got to pull my weight:

The willingness to work hard for a pittance, while anxious about one\'s ability to cope, or any other aspect of the job, is directly proportionate to the desperation of the situation the hired hand is in. Such is life.

Frankly, this is the one main reason translating is a sweat-shop. There are so many low-balling \"translators\" that translating is not worth the time ... .

True, education of the customer is part of it. But, let\'s face it: This is the world without borders many yearned for, and \'it is the economy, stupid\'. Price is everything. It shouldn\'t be, but it is more than ever.

Desperate and resourceful people end up working. It is no different than sod-busting or concrete-pouring among my illegal alien neighbors. It\'s not the survival of the best, but of the fittest. You don\'t have to be the best to be fit for some nasty business.

Although we individually contribute to the general state of affairs, our contribution to shaping them is usually minuscule by definition. Therefore, most of the time we\'re relegated to responding to larger external forces resulting from the cumulative effect of our actions and actions of everybody else. Oh well, ... .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking KudoZ questions about text samples of posted jobs

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs