Mobile menu

Cheating with KudoZ by awarding points to yourself?
Thread poster: Ulrich Garn

Ulrich Garn  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:35
English to German
+ ...
Aug 26, 2002

I\'ve just begun using the KudoZ system and I think that it\'s fun as well as it is useful. There is only one point troubling me: Wouldn\'t it be quite easy for someone to post questions under a false identity, then answering them under his real identity, and finally getting lots of points granted from his own false identity? If this were possible it would somewhat devaluate the whole system, although I don\'t want to insinuate that someone could be doing such a thing.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 05:35
German to Romanian
+ ...
ProZ automatically checks the IP number Aug 26, 2002

So you can\'t do it from the same computer for sure. I have read this in some forum. There are a few security measures regarding this issue., but I don\'t remember them anymore.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
There was a huge discussion about this last year..... Aug 26, 2002

Check out: http://www.proz.com/index.php3?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=348&forum=13&start=0

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:35
SITE FOUNDER
Fraud is rare Aug 26, 2002

Occasionally someone will give themselves points in this way.

If a person asks and answers a question from the same computer, the staff knows. Even if they ask and answer from different computers, we usually know, because someone notices and tells us.

There was one extreme case of KudoZ fraud (the member was expelled) but apart from that, the incidence of point-padding is very low, less than a fraction of a percent of all questions.

Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
It has happened in the past - keep your eyes open- Aug 27, 2002

but as Henry pointed out, the member was expelled. A group of us got together after we all noticed something really funny. The alarm-bells really started ringing simultaneously and in tune after all the answers were the same easy format and it was even more obvious, especially after the offending member awarded points to a person which we strongly suspected was one and the same, after the answer clearly turned out to be wrong! I really don\'t know why he wasted his and our time like that, but I like to think that all of us are hard-working professionals, at least 99.9%, who like to help each other out.

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Meaningless fraud Aug 31, 2002

Having a lot of KudoZ will give you visibility. But only the quality of your answers will bring you respect. High visibility with low quality sounds like the recipe for disaster...
[addsig]

John Kinory
Local time: 04:35
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Very easy to overcome Sep 6, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-26 14:05, Henry wrote:

Occasionally someone will give themselves points in this way.

If a person asks and answers a question from the same computer, the staff knows. Even if they ask and answer from different computers, we usually know, because someone notices and tells us.

There was one extreme case of KudoZ fraud (the member was expelled) but apart from that, the incidence of point-padding is very low, less than a fraction of a percent of all questions.

If someone uses 2 computers and 2 ISPs to set up multiple personalities, I don\'t believe Proz staff (or anybody else) would be able to prove this. There are 2 new members in one of my language-pairs: they joined recently, almost on the same day. I and several of my colleagues immediately suspected them of being the same person, partly because they were very complimentary to each other, partly because of stylistic similarities. Suspected, yes. Able to prove this, no.
[addsig]

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
A variation on the same theme Sep 7, 2002

Two (or more) close friends ask and answer alternatively and give each other the points until they are all at the top of the list.

So, what started as a meritocracy is now a buddy system. Neat.

NNTBARS to realize this was quite a predictable outcome.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheating with KudoZ by awarding points to yourself?

Advanced search

Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs