Mobile menu

Will native certification help to increase the translation rates?
Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez
Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 07:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 2, 2001

There has been a consistent downfall of translation rates during the last two years. Will native certifcation and accreditations help arrest the falling rates?

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Member (2004)
English to Italian
not a lot we can do... Nov 2, 2001

accreditation might help, Proz native certification is a joke.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI

lcmolinari  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:31
French to English
+ ...
Why? Nov 2, 2001

I don\'t see what native certification has to do with rates. The native certification you refer to, I assume, is particular to Proz. The site has no bearing on international rates.

I don\'t see how this could affect rates in any way. It could only perhaps give you a little more credibility when bidding on jobs.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 03:31
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Native spaekers, lower rates Nov 3, 2001

Telesforo,

There has always been native-speaker translators, even before rates started falling. Being a native speaker doesn\'t mean one can translate, even though it might be a good starting point. I believe globalization could be one of the reasons for falling rates, and also those translators, who accept lower rates on different markets. If I lived in India, I would accept the local (lower) rates, but living in Europe I don\'t see why I should accept rates not covering my costs/expences and efforts.

But... perhaps some translator have to accept them to make sure they earn some money at least... Is it then worth while? Is it really \"money\"? Just a point of view...

Regards,

Giuliana
[addsig]

CLS Lexi-tech
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Accreditation and Proz.com Nov 3, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-02 06:22, guarnieri wrote:

accreditation might help, Proz native certification is a joke.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI

Ciao Giovanni, just a couple of comments. Personally, I have not applied for accreditation from the A-ssociations. Before I pay them their hefty annual fee, I want to know what they do to promote the profession, to defend my rights, to secure me jobs. My conclusion is that they don\'t do enough and that they are not worth the investment of time and money.

Having been a member of Proz.com for over a year at least, I feel that it is well worth the investment of time and money (I am a platinum member) for tangible and intangible reasons:I have contacted a couple of clients, I share jobs with colleagues, who in turn share theirs with me, we revise each other, I have colleagues who come to my rescue when I need terminological help and I am stuck, I have my web profile etc.

The native speaker accreditation has been discussed elsewhere ad libitum. It may prove useful in a global market, and in situations where translators acquired more than one language at birth or afterwards, and when a translators lives away from the countries where his working languages are spoken. Also, it might be useful as a marketing tool to reach more agencies interested in posting jobs on the site.

buon lavoro and have a good day

paola l m

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I still think the native speaker certification is far too simplistic to be a valid tool Nov 5, 2001

The system can be easily \"tricked\", simply by getting another person to do the tests. The same applies to translation tests. The only way for an agency/client to verify the ability of the translator in the first place is to give the translator a small job which should be carefully checked. CVs tell you a lot about a specific person, although they can be fake too!

Accreditations are different. I belong to the British Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), but even their methods of verifying the members\' ability is lacking. To become MITI (Member, I was an Associate before [AITI], but now we have been \"forced\" to upgrade to MITI status) I submitted a 1000 words article on Heinz Harald Frentzen\'s 2000 F1 season... Quite technical. Now, who checked that? Even the agency that sometimes gives me F1 stuff to translate says it\'s impossible to find people with enough expertise in this field. Nothing is perfect, but the native speaker certification would not be one of my priorities. As far as Proz is concerned, I find it a very useful tool, otherwise I wouldn\'t be here. I\'ve made friends, talk to Gianfranco (Manca) on a regular basis (gulp!) and I\'m glad to be part of it. I\'m not sure about paying... It\'s true that Proz provides a service, but without \"us\" Proz would be nothing...

Ciao e a presto

Giovanni

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Part of the native speaker check is verification of identity. Nov 5, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-05 01:56, guarnieri wrote:

The system can be easily \"tricked\", simply by getting another person to do the tests.

Not easily. Part of the native speaker check is verification of identity.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
PNS = one step in building a quality/price continuum Nov 5, 2001

\"You get what you pay for.\"

In most other industries, it is easy to quantify what one gets for one\'s dollar. Computer manufacturers can sell 2GHz chips for 50% more than 1GHz chps, and people pay it because it is clear what they are getting.

It would be great if we had similar metrics for translation and interpreting, because discerning clients would pay for the quality level they require.

Obviously, we still have a long way to go in the quest to define a quality/price continuum. However, the ProZ.com Native Speaker certification is one small step in that direction. In that PNS will limit the supply side of the supply-demand relationship, it can not be questioned that it will exert some upward pressure on rates.

Good observation, Telesforo.

Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 07:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Henry , you have a point Nov 5, 2001

You are right Henry, when you talk about the equation of Chips. Difference between industrial products and services. Like difference between cabbages and nuts and bolts.

People pay much more for a very good MD just as they pay more for a 2GB chip, as you said.

But when MDs start bidding for their services, their services wouldn\'t be worth even the cost of a cheap 386 chip or stale cabbages.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will native certification help to increase the translation rates?

Advanced search

Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs