Thread poster: Daniela Zambrini

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:59
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2006

Having noticed the resignation of more than one moderator in the last few weeks I took a look at the site page describing their role and activity in the community - http://www.proz.com/?sp=info/team&ssp=team&sssp=moderators

I had imagined it was rather a tough job, especially as it is carried out on a volunteer basis, but I suddenly realised that being a moderator means having many more rules and guidelines to follow than standard members and users. It’s not an easy task at all and sooner or later there is bound to be a certain turn-over, for personal, professional or other reasons.

So, this is just a short post to express my personal thanks to those who have devoted their time to support the community and improve the site in visible and - most of all - invisible ways.

Direct link Reply with quote

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:59
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Amen to everything Daniela said. Jun 21, 2006

I'm sure it's impractical, but I wish moderators could be paid, so they could afford the time they put in.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:59
SITE FOUNDER
Moderators deserve it! Jun 21, 2006

Moderators do a lot, some day in and day out, in what is largely a thankless job. I am very proud of the outstanding group of moderators we have and of what they have accomplished for the site and industry.

So let me add my appreciation to that already expressed.

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are great! Jun 21, 2006

A big hug to J.L. and Aurora!!

Alicia

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:59
Member (2004)
English to Italian
naahhh... Jun 22, 2006

Alicia Casal wrote:

they are great!

Alicia

they are just a bunch of megalomaniac, power-thirsty, sadistic psychos... only joking, obviously...

Giovanni

[Edited at 2006-06-22 10:42]

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congrats and appreciation Jun 22, 2006

My congratulations and appreciation to past and present moderators, but...I think they deserve much more than just a "thank you".
I honestly don't understand why they are not paid, given that Proz is not a charity but a registered business for profit.

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks to past, present and future Moderators/Angela Jun 22, 2006

I was very sad to hear today that Angela is no longer a moderator for the Italian/English KudoZ community.

I don't think we could have asked for a fairer, better or nicer moderator.

She dealt with queries quickly and efficiently and always impartially and I for one am very sorry to see her go.

Amy

Enrique Cavalitto
Local time: 13:59
SITE STAFF
Being a volunteer is part of the appeal Jun 22, 2006

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

My congratulations and appreciation to past and present moderators, but...I think they deserve much more than just a "thank you".
I honestly don't understand why they are not paid, given that Proz is not a charity but a registered business for profit.

Hi Grace!

I happen to be staff now but I was a moderator for more than four years and I enjoyed it a lot, so please let me talk here as a mod.

Long ago somebody floated the proposal of giving moderators some monetary compensation (such as free memberships). A lively debate ensued in the forum for moderators and we agreed that we didn’t want it, that being a volunteer is an integral part of the moderatorship. You do and give because you feel like doing and giving.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:59
English to Turkish
And who needs the mundane compensation... Jun 22, 2006

they are just a bunch of megalomaniac, power-thirsty, sadistic psychos... only joking, obviously...
Giovanni

...once the opportunity to satisfy such greeds is there?

Andreas Kobell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for the support! Jun 22, 2006

Being rather new to ProZ, I already have the feeling that there are a lot of highly qualified people working behind the scene for this Community. And what a community this is! Resourceful, lively, vibrating with new ideas...

Thanks to all colleages and stuff at ProZ who support us by providing such a seamless service of this site!

Andreas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thanks to past, present and future Moderators

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs