Translating bibliographies
Thread poster: CLS Lexi-tech

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 08:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 8, 2002

How do you translate a bibliography? How much do you charge (by the word, by the hour)? I just would like to establish what\'s the consensus on this, in the absence of specific instructions by the client.

Thanks

paola l m

co-mod EN>IT www.proz.com

www.lexitech.ca

Direct link Reply with quote

John Kinory
Local time: 13:17
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Translating bibliographies Sep 8, 2002

Ciao Paola,

I think there was a discussion on this about 2-3 months ago. There was no consensus, as I recall.

I have been in this position several times recently. Sometimes the client says not to bother. But when I translated several undergraduate textbooks, I left the source in place and translated the names of books, journals and publishers in brackets.

OTOH, when working between different character-sets, I reproduced the source and underneath each reference I added the whole of it (transliterated or translated as relevant).

The justification (in both cases) is that although the reader MAY be able to follow the source, the whole point of translating the text is to help the user who cannot. The source needs to be left in place for the purpose of looking up the references in a library (physical or online), ordering the text from a librarian etc.

As to charging: I charge a certain % of my standard rate for retyping the source (unless it is provided electronically), and my normal rate for transliterating and/or translating. The calculation itself can be a &^%$ of a nuisance. Alternatively, I charge by time. Or sometimes I charge a flat fee for translating the whole text, if it\'s similar to one I have done before.
[addsig]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:17
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Do not do it on a word basis Sep 8, 2002

Translating a bibliography requires much more effort than translating the text - and it is probably quite hard to make an estimate in advance. So, just like for proofreading, an hourly basis is much more reasonable (for you). You have to track down what had been translated into Italian, and this might not be easy: catalogs are not necessarily easy to come by, websites are usually not exhaustive.

As for the books that had not been translated, you might have to search for the original title - if, say, it had been written in German and translated into English afterwards.

It might also happen that very few books had been translated into Italian, so you yourself might need to write a list of references to the Italian reader. This is a helluva lot of work, and only undertake it (with a separate contract) if you are really at home in the relevant literature.

Good luck!

Attila

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 20:17
English
+ ...
Chicago Style Manaul and Harvard has one too. Sep 9, 2002

Either of these two works tell you how to translate footnotes, endnotes and bibliographies; however, certain fields have their own rules for all of the above. The best thing to do is check with the publisher of the book or periodical and see if they don\'t have their own rules on this; if not refer to either of thw works given above. This is alot of tedious work -- bill every word of it and find out which standards to apply right from the start, lest you have to start all over again!
[addsig]

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 08:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Grazie, thank you, merci John e Attila. Sep 9, 2002

Hope to hear from other colleagues

paola l m

AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
what does the client want? Sep 10, 2002

Hello,

I often had the same problem translating bibliographies. Quite recently I have decided to contact the client/agency and ask them what exactly they want me to do with the bibliographies. Very often they ask me to leave the original. It depend mainly on the target readers. If they know the subject (I translate a lot for doctors and surgeons) there is often no need to translate the bibliographies.

Regards

Ann
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating bibliographies

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs