Recently laidoff translator looking to do volunteer work
Thread poster: Liliana Benitez-Strange (X)
Liliana Benitez-Strange (X)
Liliana Benitez-Strange (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2002

I was laid off from a translator\'s position with a large telecommunications firm on 8/29 and while I look for new work I am hoping to find some volunteer work I can do to keep my skills in tact. I am still working on my degree which is holding me back from being able to jump right back in the game. I worked hard to get into that translator\'s position and after 2 years lost it for no rhyme or reason. Is there anyone out there that has been faced with a similar dilema and would be able to offer... See more
I was laid off from a translator\'s position with a large telecommunications firm on 8/29 and while I look for new work I am hoping to find some volunteer work I can do to keep my skills in tact. I am still working on my degree which is holding me back from being able to jump right back in the game. I worked hard to get into that translator\'s position and after 2 years lost it for no rhyme or reason. Is there anyone out there that has been faced with a similar dilema and would be able to offer me some direction on how I may go about getting some volunteer experience?

Please help!

Lily
Collapse

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:53
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
volunteer translations Sep 10, 2002

Sorry to hear about your redundancy. Think of it as an opportunity to go on to greater things!

As regards your search for volunteer translation jobs, try the international campaign to ban landmines.

www.icbl.org

There\'s a page somewhere on that site inviting people to register as volunteer translators.

Good luck.

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:53
French to English
Check your profile Sep 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-10 13:38, lilybs1 wrote:

I was laid off from a translator\'s position with a large telecommunications firm on 8/29 and while I look for new work I am hoping to find some volunteer work I can do to keep my skills in tact. I am still working on my degree which is holding me back from being able to jump right back in the game. I worked hard to get into that translator\'s position and after 2 years lost it for no rhym... See more
Quote:

On 2002-09-10 13:38, lilybs1 wrote:

I was laid off from a translator\'s position with a large telecommunications firm on 8/29 and while I look for new work I am hoping to find some volunteer work I can do to keep my skills in tact. I am still working on my degree which is holding me back from being able to jump right back in the game. I worked hard to get into that translator\'s position and after 2 years lost it for no rhyme or reason. Is there anyone out there that has been faced with a similar dilema and would be able to offer me some direction on how I may go about getting some volunteer experience?

Please help!

Lily

Check some of the translation job mailing lists at Yahoo Groups. Just search for translation.

Good luck,

Karin Adamczyk

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-10 14:59 ]Collapse

Intergraf
Intergraf  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pick a non-profit YOU like, and do check your profile Sep 10, 2002

First of all, I\'m sorry to hear you\'ve been laid off. It\'s always harder to find work when you\'re not employed (weird, huh?). And I hope you find something soon, including paying freelance work!

I agree with Karin - check your profile. Try to look at it critically and very objectively, as though you were considering this person for a job. Then beef up the positives and tone down any negatives. Ask a close friend to give you feedback.

As fo
... See more
First of all, I\'m sorry to hear you\'ve been laid off. It\'s always harder to find work when you\'re not employed (weird, huh?). And I hope you find something soon, including paying freelance work!

I agree with Karin - check your profile. Try to look at it critically and very objectively, as though you were considering this person for a job. Then beef up the positives and tone down any negatives. Ask a close friend to give you feedback.

As for the volunteer work, I would suggest that you go surf the web sites of charities and non-profits that you like and would want to support through non-paying translation work. See what they already have in place, and what you might want to contribute. Find the name and email address for a contact person and offer them your services.

Also, do some local networking - the Chamber of Commerce usually has networking sessions where you can meet local business people who might be good sources of paying freelance work, as well as volunteer work. And ask someone at the Chamber if they know of non-profits which might love to have you do volunteer work for them.

Good luck!

Terry

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-10 16:22 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recently laidoff translator looking to do volunteer work

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »