Mobile menu

Does anybody know a working batch word count application?
Thread poster: Frank Bremster

Frank Bremster  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:17
German
+ ...
Sep 13, 2002

I am looking for some kind of simple application that will count words and/or charcters in .doc files as batches with a list or file as output. Sometimes I receive translation orders for 60 or more files. In order to count the source words I have to open each file and make a word count (which is as we all know not very accurate in Word). I have looked on the web and what I have found was either trash or works only with ACII.

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:17
German to English
+ ...
Trados Sep 14, 2002

Trados will do batch word counts for you. You don\'t even need to use it to translate.

Just use \"Analyse\" on a blank translation memory. However, it won\'t count numbers in tables or field codes. But it will count text in text boxes (correct me if I\'m wrong).

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
PractiCount Sep 14, 2002

There\'s probably an ad down to the left of this page. But PractiCount would do all that. It can count multiple files in Word, Excel, etc. and output the results to a report which you can save in various formats. It also counts lines, etc. and works out how much to invoice the customer on the basis of the prices you enter.

Unfortunately, it\'s not free, but it\'s not expensive either.

I\'ve not used it extensively yet, but if it does what it says on the tin, it should be worth it!

HTH

Mary

German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Practicount Sep 14, 2002

Thanks Mary,

Yes indeed. I have seen the ad and I even went to take a look. Practicount would include everything I need.

The question is, does it really work, i.e. does it exactly count the words etc. The applications I have tried until now were bullsh... The numbers they gave me were not exact.

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
FreeBudget - good little programme for text counting and budgeting Sep 14, 2002

Dear Frank,

FreeBudget is a tool to generate word count and budget reports for RTF, MSWord, WordPerfect, and TXT documents.

And this is for FREE!

I think this programme will be good for your needs. You can download it here:

http://www.webbudget.com/

Nikita Kobrin

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Practicount does the trick Sep 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-14 09:08, frankbr wrote:

Thanks Mary,

Yes indeed. I have seen the ad and I even went to take a look. Practicount would include everything I need.

The question is, does it really work, i.e. does it exactly count the words etc. The applications I have tried until now were bullsh... The numbers they gave me were not exact.

I use Practicount all the time and can only say it works the way it should.

In short, go for it.

By the way, an updated version will be available as of Monday, September 16.

[addsig]

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Handy tool as well, yet doesn't count Excel, Powerpoint... Sep 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-14 09:29, NIKITA wrote:

Dear Frank,

FreeBudget is a tool to generate word count and budget reports for RTF, MSWord, WordPerfect, and TXT documents.

And this is for FREE!

I think this programme will be good for your needs. You can download it here:

http://www.webbudget.com/

Nikita Kobrin

[addsig]

pattyb  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
PractiCount Sep 14, 2002

Go PractiCount! It does everything a translator may wish to save time and count correctly: be it counting by the word, the cartella/page (used in Italy) or the line.

pat

arterm  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
practicount Sep 14, 2002

works well.

has some minor bug with a Russian locale - uses comma instead of point as decimal delimiter.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
It does work! Sep 15, 2002

Quote:

The statistics you get are the same as you would in Word. Occasionally there can be a slight discrepancy in the number of characters between a Word count and PractiCount count, but one or two characters really makes no difference.

You also have options to count text-boxes, headers and footers, etc. And it seems to work effectively. It\'s still a new piece of software, so there are still glitches to be ironed out, but the support is effective.

I am in no way associated with Practiline Software

Regards

Mary

German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot to everybody Sep 15, 2002

I have dowloaded the Practicount dem version (which only allows you to count on file at a time) an will try it for 30 days. Furthermore, I will try this webbudget utility.

Thanks again to everybody.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anybody know a working batch word count application?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs