US or UK? France or Canada? - target language & Kudoz
Thread poster: Jeanette Mercer
Jeanette Mercer
Jeanette Mercer
Local time: 01:04
French to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2002

As a newcomer to Proz, I have been browsing the site and particularly like the idea of KudoZ. There is however one thing I wondered: can (or should) the Asker indicate the regional variety of target language? For highly scientific texts this is perhaps less noticeable but in business / marketing / finance etc, etc, it is important. I disagree with a couple of replies to one recent KudoZ question but I\'m British and the suggested answer may be perfectly normal usage in the US. (I\'m not talking ... See more
As a newcomer to Proz, I have been browsing the site and particularly like the idea of KudoZ. There is however one thing I wondered: can (or should) the Asker indicate the regional variety of target language? For highly scientific texts this is perhaps less noticeable but in business / marketing / finance etc, etc, it is important. I disagree with a couple of replies to one recent KudoZ question but I\'m British and the suggested answer may be perfectly normal usage in the US. (I\'m not talking about spelling here, but about differences in vocabulary and grammar). If we\'re trying to help each other wouldn\'t it be useful to know the full facts? (Excuse me if this topic has been discussed before!)Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:04
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes important! Sep 25, 2002

Hi Jeannette,

I can see your point. There is a huge difference between different variants of (for example) the English language. But there is also a huge overlap where the language is the same.

We have to rely on askers recognising where these differences lie. In many cases, if the target country is important, the asker will specify.

I agree that in some cases the answers selected by our American colleagues just \'sound odd\' to Brit
... See more
Hi Jeannette,

I can see your point. There is a huge difference between different variants of (for example) the English language. But there is also a huge overlap where the language is the same.

We have to rely on askers recognising where these differences lie. In many cases, if the target country is important, the asker will specify.

I agree that in some cases the answers selected by our American colleagues just \'sound odd\' to British ears, and I\'m sure the reverse is true. I\'ll hesitate about providing an answer if somebody asks for US English, especially in marketing and more informal contexts. But I can\'t see a need for a more rigid separation, the beauty of the KudoZ system is that it unites people all around the world, and more strict geographical delineation would hamper that.

FWIW

Mary

Collapse

Clair Pickworth
Clair Pickworth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:04
French to English
I agree with you... Sep 25, 2002

and have often wondered whether English (UK) and English (US) couldn\'t be added to the list of languages when asking a Kudoz question (though I guess then we could add Australia and numerous other variants of English...)

I suppose the solution is to stipulate the target language specifically when giving the context to the question, which I often intend and usually forget to do !!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US or UK? France or Canada? - target language & Kudoz

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »