Hoax virus warning (don\'t fall for subject line: \"Virus detected in address book - please read\")
Thread poster: Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman
Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:00
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 27, 2002

Hi Folks,

If this is the wrong place to post - sorry. I got a gateway error when I tried the tech forum at the end of the forum list.

One of the benefits of being a staff translator is IT support. We just received this hoax virus warning, which I pass on to ProZ with whatever sort of disclaimers are necessary.

Further information on the virus can be found at

<
... See more
Hi Folks,

If this is the wrong place to post - sorry. I got a gateway error when I tried the tech forum at the end of the forum list.

One of the benefits of being a staff translator is IT support. We just received this hoax virus warning, which I pass on to ProZ with whatever sort of disclaimers are necessary.

Further information on the virus can be found at

http://www.symantec.com

If you receive an e-mail containing a subject line \"Virus detected in address book - please read\", a body text:

\"Hello everyone.

I was contacted this morning alerting me of a virus in my address book

that was passed on to me unnoticed. Please follow the instructions below.

This was sent this morning to my attention. I checked and had located

the virus quit easily and disposed of it.

A virus has been passed to me through my address book. The virus is not

detected by Norton or MacAfee anti virus systems. Apparently it sits

quiet for 14 days before doing damage.. It is sent automatically by

messenger and by the address book, whether or not you sent emails to

your contacts.

Please follow the instruction on how to check for the virus and get rid of it:

Go to start, find or search option

In the files/ folders option, write the name: jdbgmgr.exe

Be sure you search your C drive and any others you have

Click \"find now\"

The virus has a teddy bear icon with the above name on it

Do NOT open it

Right click on the file to highlight it

Now select delete. It will then go into the recycle bin

Go to the recycle bin and delete it there as well.

If you find the virus, you must contact everyone in your address book so

they can eradicate it.

I am very sorry, I am pretty sure everyone in my address book will have

it.

\"

This is a hoax. Delete the message immediately.

Terry
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks Sep 27, 2002

I don\'t think it\'s a wrong place to say it. I got that mail this morning, from a Prz member, I was waiting until I had more information, thanks Terry

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
jdbgmgr.exe strikes again... Sep 27, 2002

This is not the first time this subject has come up. To find other forums here in ProZ about this, enter jdbgmgr.exe in the Search box.

Also, you can enter jdbgmgr.exe for a Google search, to find information about this surprisingly enduring hoax.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got the message and sent it to my contacts... Sep 27, 2002

Hola,

I also got the message and forward it to my colleages and friends. Minutes later several moderators from ProZ.com told me it was a hoax.

I must have made a typo because I seached for it and did not find it. Thus...it has not been ereased (OK in this case)

Thanks for the info.

JL

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
I am one of the dumbs who get caught by the Hoax Sep 28, 2002

Yes I suppressed this file and now I am unable to recover it in my system in spite of various methodsfound on websites... I do hope that this file was not very important.

I am so sorry for the ones which were included in my address book and trusted me trying to delete the incriminated file ( Hi Claudia).

Furthermore few minutes later I had a system failure and have been unable to warn everybody at the same time. Still now I am replying to the ones who i could not c
... See more
Yes I suppressed this file and now I am unable to recover it in my system in spite of various methodsfound on websites... I do hope that this file was not very important.

I am so sorry for the ones which were included in my address book and trusted me trying to delete the incriminated file ( Hi Claudia).

Furthermore few minutes later I had a system failure and have been unable to warn everybody at the same time. Still now I am replying to the ones who i could not contact by e-mail and asking me some details.

So this is REALLY a good place to post your Msg.

The positive side : now I really do know the translation for the word \"Hoax\"
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:00
English to French
some infos about hoax chains Sep 29, 2002

For those who deleted the file, no, it was not very important though it may prevent a few java programs to function properly

As a general rule, EVERY virus alert which does not refer to an exact URL on a known anti-virus web site (Norton/Panda/Mc Affee/...) is an hoax.

How likely is it that a relation of yours would know about a virus that major antivirus producer don\'t even know about?

Some web sites specialize in documenti
... See more
For those who deleted the file, no, it was not very important though it may prevent a few java programs to function properly

As a general rule, EVERY virus alert which does not refer to an exact URL on a known anti-virus web site (Norton/Panda/Mc Affee/...) is an hoax.

How likely is it that a relation of yours would know about a virus that major antivirus producer don\'t even know about?

Some web sites specialize in documenting hoaxes. For french speaking people, please refer to www.hoaxbuster.com.
English speaking people can visit www.urbanlegend.com

Hope this helps
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hoax virus warning (don\'t fall for subject line: \"Virus detected in address book - please read\")

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »