https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/55627-input_on_new_prozcom_campaign.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Input on new ProZ.com campaign
Thread poster: Dwayne Maye
Dwayne Maye
Dwayne Maye
United States
Local time: 15:34
English to English Middle (ca.1100-1500)
Sep 19, 2006

I don't want to let the cat out of the bag just yet (no pun intended) , but I have been playing around with some images and would like some input. These are very much in their infancy but any input would be appreciated. My personal favorites are the cats hence the slogan "we're looking for you". Thats all I have so far so here are the images.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
English to German
Cats are nice; improve font and expand information Sep 19, 2006

I like the cats too, and I like the telescope (or what's it called) in the 4th image even more. I also like the overall visual design of all images: clean and inviting (except maybe for the pink text in the first image).

I miss some information: Why are you looking for us? What offer is about to expire? I am not sure "To expand your business..." answers that sufficiently. In fact I am not entirely sure a phrase starti
... See more
I like the cats too, and I like the telescope (or what's it called) in the 4th image even more. I also like the overall visual design of all images: clean and inviting (except maybe for the pink text in the first image).

I miss some information: Why are you looking for us? What offer is about to expire? I am not sure "To expand your business..." answers that sufficiently. In fact I am not entirely sure a phrase starting with "To" is an appropriate continuation of the first phrase. How about using the imperative: "Expand your business...". But still you have to explain *how* we are supposed to achieve that.

Also, I would advise against using the Comic Sans font in any kind of artwork. Some people (including myself) show very violent reactions to it. See for instance http://bancomicsans.com/home.html

Good luck,
Endre
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Eye-catching is always good Sep 19, 2006

Cats, maybe. There's a pretty big contingent of translators who have what have been referred to feline "office assistants" or "familiars." But not all translators are of the same persuasion. If you'e going to consider animals, why not hamsters? Anything that suggest we can get *beyond* being hamsters would be welcome!

Pretty ladies and young geeks have already been given way too much attention. And I still have trouble with the idea fostered in much translation promotional mate
... See more
Cats, maybe. There's a pretty big contingent of translators who have what have been referred to feline "office assistants" or "familiars." But not all translators are of the same persuasion. If you'e going to consider animals, why not hamsters? Anything that suggest we can get *beyond* being hamsters would be welcome!

Pretty ladies and young geeks have already been given way too much attention. And I still have trouble with the idea fostered in much translation promotional material that translators work outdoors. Although... the binoculars aren't a bad notion. Can you locate another image where the binoculars or telescope that focuses on something more specifically representative of the translation business?

I don't want to step on the toes of those with more experience, since I'd never particularly paid any attention to Comic Sans, but, in fact, it looked kind of good superimposed on those images.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
No cats Sep 19, 2006

I suppose "We" is Proz.com and "You" are new members. Well, I don't see Proz.com as a comfortably lying, fluffy cat with old-fashioned glasses. It reminds me of a granny. I have nothing against cats or grannies, but I think Proz.com should be portrayed in a different way.

I like the picture with the sitting person - as an ad for yoga courses. It is too calm.

How about a group of people looking at the reader of the ad? It could work, if the banner will be this big.
... See more
I suppose "We" is Proz.com and "You" are new members. Well, I don't see Proz.com as a comfortably lying, fluffy cat with old-fashioned glasses. It reminds me of a granny. I have nothing against cats or grannies, but I think Proz.com should be portrayed in a different way.

I like the picture with the sitting person - as an ad for yoga courses. It is too calm.

How about a group of people looking at the reader of the ad? It could work, if the banner will be this big.

And yes, please don't use the Comic Sans font.
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
No 4 Sep 19, 2006

Hi Dwayne,

Perhaps because I have a "canine office assistant" cats are less persuasive to me, but the image in no 4 is really eye catching. I like the distant view of a town, calm water and the face-shaped telescope. Good mixture of what represents work (town), relax (water) and fun (telescope) at the same time.

As concerns fonts: Comic Sans are a big no-no to me, too. Make a silly impression. I always preferred Verdana...
See more
Hi Dwayne,

Perhaps because I have a "canine office assistant" cats are less persuasive to me, but the image in no 4 is really eye catching. I like the distant view of a town, calm water and the face-shaped telescope. Good mixture of what represents work (town), relax (water) and fun (telescope) at the same time.

As concerns fonts: Comic Sans are a big no-no to me, too. Make a silly impression. I always preferred Verdana

Buziaki,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-09-19 17:19]
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:34
Russian to English
+ ...
#3 Sep 19, 2006

I like 3.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
All of them are too culture specific Sep 19, 2006

My comment is that both the message as well as the images are too culture specific. Coming from India they mean nothing to me. The phrase l"etting the cat out" or the meanings associated with the cat are unknown in India.

The gadgets portrayed are equally inappropriate.

There is a white woman shown in one of them, that is too specific for a global audience.

I don't know what the ad is for, but if you are aiming for a global audience, you will have to work m
... See more
My comment is that both the message as well as the images are too culture specific. Coming from India they mean nothing to me. The phrase l"etting the cat out" or the meanings associated with the cat are unknown in India.

The gadgets portrayed are equally inappropriate.

There is a white woman shown in one of them, that is too specific for a global audience.

I don't know what the ad is for, but if you are aiming for a global audience, you will have to work more on both the message and the images.

You will have to take into account translatability into various languages as well as cultural neutrality.

These may be difficult to achieve, so you might have to develop a clutch of ads and release them selectively in different regions.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
No. 4 Sep 19, 2006

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Hi Dwayne,

As concerns fonts: Comic Sans are a big no-no to me, too. Make a silly impression. I always preferred Verdana

Buziaki,
Magda

[Edited at 2006-09-19 17:19]

I agree with Magda although I have a feline and a canine office assistant (although they fight a lot).

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Get the date right! Sep 19, 2006

September 30th, not 30st.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What are you selling? Sep 19, 2006

Cats?

Spectacles?

Holidays?

Women? (!)

Can't see anything here that might relate to our profession.

MediaMatrix

PS Wouldn't it be more accurate to say "Expand OUR business...." - meaning 'Proz.com's' ?

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
In omnibus rebus respice finem Sep 19, 2006

WordNet defines "ad" as "a public promotion of some product or service."

The question here is WHAT PRODUCT ARE WE TRYING TO PROMOTE HERE?

To continue discussing this would just be to make vague comments about the medium, graphic design, etc. But it seems inappropriate to ask -- and try to answer -- the #1 question of graphic design: "Does it get the message across well?" when we have no idea what the message is.

Maybe this note from Wikipedia on advertisin
... See more
WordNet defines "ad" as "a public promotion of some product or service."

The question here is WHAT PRODUCT ARE WE TRYING TO PROMOTE HERE?

To continue discussing this would just be to make vague comments about the medium, graphic design, etc. But it seems inappropriate to ask -- and try to answer -- the #1 question of graphic design: "Does it get the message across well?" when we have no idea what the message is.

Maybe this note from Wikipedia on advertising might help.

WIKIPEDIA : Advertising campaign

An advertising campaign is a series of advertisement messages that share a single idea and theme which make up an integrated marketing communication (IMC).

The critical part of making an advertising campaign is determining a campaign theme, as it sets the tone for the individual advertisements and other forms of marketing communications that will be used. The campaign theme is the *central message* that will be communicated in the promotional activities. The campaign themes are usually developed with the intention of being used for a substantial period but many of them are short lived due to factors such as being ineffective or market conditions and/or competition in the marketplace.
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Menacing? Sep 19, 2006

"We're looking for you" sounds slightly menacing to me.

Combined with a fluffy white cat as per first pic, the whole thing conjures up that Bond villain who used to have a white cat on his lap to me (sorry, can't remember his name offhand!).

Plus I cannot stand cats.

And I'm sorry to break this to you, but Proz is not a fun site. There may be the occasional light-hearted posting, but that's about it. I'm cool with the "expanding business", I'm fine with "i
... See more
"We're looking for you" sounds slightly menacing to me.

Combined with a fluffy white cat as per first pic, the whole thing conjures up that Bond villain who used to have a white cat on his lap to me (sorry, can't remember his name offhand!).

Plus I cannot stand cats.

And I'm sorry to break this to you, but Proz is not a fun site. There may be the occasional light-hearted posting, but that's about it. I'm cool with the "expanding business", I'm fine with "improving my work" (bloody cheek ), but "fun" - nah, not here.
Collapse

Dwayne Maye
Dwayne Maye
United States
English to English Middle (ca.1100-1500)
TOPIC STARTER
Wow thank you all for the input Sep 19, 2006

So I see good and bad things about these ideas. Like I said in the beginning this was more of a chance for me to get a better understanding of the types of images that catch your eyes. Nothing about this is finalized and perhaps after this far from it. I realize that without the actual content there is no real meaning behind the photos. That I will put together soon. Again thanks for your time and well the cat with glasses just makes me smile.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Bond villain Sep 19, 2006

Stavro Blofeld. Yes, the first cat could well put people in mind of Blofeld's cat. He would continue stroking it while dropping someone into a pool to be eaten by piranhas.

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Balasubramaniam has a point ... Sep 19, 2006

... and surely makes valid criticisms. If the ads are designed to target a global audience, then they must have global appeal. It may be a worn and over-used idea, but why not use a picture showing a mix of shapes, sizes and natilonalities?

I hereby volunteer for the part of balding, overweight, middle-aged Western European (and a bucket of make-up would transform me into a balding, overweight, middle-aged African if you're short-handed).

And I wouldn't use different m
... See more
... and surely makes valid criticisms. If the ads are designed to target a global audience, then they must have global appeal. It may be a worn and over-used idea, but why not use a picture showing a mix of shapes, sizes and natilonalities?

I hereby volunteer for the part of balding, overweight, middle-aged Western European (and a bucket of make-up would transform me into a balding, overweight, middle-aged African if you're short-handed).

And I wouldn't use different motifs for different markets; the international flair of ProZ is one of its selling points, surely.

[Bearbeitet am 2006-09-19 20:50]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Input on new ProZ.com campaign

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »