Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
New profile updater available. We are about to start a complete profiles campaign.
Thread poster: Colin Brady

Colin Brady
Local time: 23:56
SITE STAFF
Oct 2, 2006

Hi Everyone,

We have just created a page to help you complete certain useful sections of your profile quickly and easily.

See: http://www.proz.com/quick_profile

Entering the information in this one-page form into your profile is useful to us in marketing your services to language companies and end clients (in our ProZ.com for Employers initiative, for example).

In other words, filling out your profile helps us help you.

In the hope that you will stop what you are doing and make sure you have entered certain key profile information now, we are running a promotion: we are giving away a free trip to the next ProZ.com conference in Edinburgh. The winner of this trip will be selected randomly from among those who have complete profile information--as judged by the new "quick profile" page.

Because there are new fields, very few people currently meet the required criteria. That means your odds are not bad, if you can get all the information that the new page requires (including your location on the map, years of experience, a project history item and at least one WWA ("willingness to work again") entry from a client.)

In addition, we will draw a prize for non-members: one ProZ.com membership will be awarded to a non-member who fills in all of the data required in the page.

The drawing will be held October 18. Because some time must be allowed to obtain WWA entries from clients, we strongly encourage you to take a moment to fill out the form now. Good luck!

If you have any questions or problems related to the new page, or suggestions on improving it, please post here. For more information about the Edinburgh conference, click here.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Colin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-10-05 20:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 22:56
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not the WWA thing, please! Oct 3, 2006

Sounds great, and I was all primed to participate (now that you've provided an easy way to upload my resume, which I couldn't figure out how to do on the new format).

But with all the unhappiness about the WWA issue that kind of got sprung on most of us, I'll have to pass on your very tempting sweepstakes. I'm staying clear away from that, thank you very much!

Sorry.

Jane

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
No problem, JaneTranslates! Oct 3, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

Sounds great, and I was all primed to participate (now that you've provided an easy way to upload my resume, which I couldn't figure out how to do on the new format).

But with all the unhappiness about the WWA issue that kind of got sprung on most of us, I'll have to pass on your very tempting sweepstakes. I'm staying clear away from that, thank you very much!

Sorry.

No problem, that is your prerogative. For those who are not familiar, here is an explanation of WWA: http://www.proz.com/topic/51026

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
WWA??? Who wants or needs it? Oct 3, 2006

I can't believe this was just a ploy to get the WWA idea going. Since the only time I worked with someone from ProZ I had the most disastrous experience of my professional career, and I would NEVER invite them to work with me again, I guess I am not allowed in the drawing, right?

How ludicrous! I'm not even sure you can legally exclude people from a drawing that way in the US!

One more item for the list of reasons not to pay to be a ProZ customer... for what?

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, David Oct 3, 2006

David Russi wrote:

I can't believe this was just a ploy to get the WWA idea going.

Actually, it is much more about PFE, but yes, we absolutely want to encourage people to familiarize themselves with WWA, too. (Have I mentioned the link for more info on WWA?) The choice of whether or not to use it is yours, though.
How ludicrous! I'm not even sure you can legally exclude people from a drawing that way in the US!

A few hours ago, we did not even have a promotion. Please pretend you never saw it.

Just for clarity sake: you can invite any client of yours on the Blue Board to submit WWA entries; it is not necessary that you have met them via ProZ.com.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
PFE Oct 3, 2006

Henry wrote:

Actually, it is much more about PFE,

Hi Henry,

What is PFE? The link leads to a blank page.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
PFE = ProZ.com for Employers Oct 3, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:
Henry wrote:
Actually, it is much more about PFE,

Hi Henry,

What is PFE? The links leads to a blank page.

Sorry, Walter; PFE is short for "ProZ.com for Employers". I believe you have already seen this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/55664

Basically, the outsourcers we have been talking to are asking for more complete profile information. Each member (and site user) can help to make our efforts to market this community more successful by taking a moment to complete his or her profile now. Even if you are not actively seeking clients right now, you will be doing your ProZ.com colleagues a favor by boosting the completeness of the database. And who knows - you may meet a new colleague or client unexpectedly. Filling out your profile is the only way to let ProZ.com work for you, and a few moments spent now will pay benefits over the years.

Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I completed the new profile Oct 3, 2006

is this one Colin s working on another one?
I also used the localization tool: It s excellent!

A.

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Indeed Oct 3, 2006

Henry wrote:
Sorry, Walter; PFE is short for "ProZ.com for Employers". I believe you have already seen this thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/55664

Yes, Henry, I certainly have.

I didn`t realize PFE meant that. Since it looked as a hyperlink, I though it would lead to some thread.

Thank you for your efforts in improving the site.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks again, Jane Oct 3, 2006

JaneTranslates wrote:

For the record:

I am a happy, satisfied paying member of this site who isn't lobbying passionately for any changes whatsoever (though I did make my de rigueur 3 suggestions).

However, I don't like the WWA thing, or the (apparently) sudden way it was foisted upon us (good example for yesterday's WikiWords "foist" entry), or the fact that my lack of WWA feedback shows explicitly on my profile.

Actually, I could get positive feedback, from both Proz and non-ProZ clients. But I choose not to. I may, perhaps, add some things to my profile, but I won't drop everything this minute to go do so.

The trip is a great incentive and I would fill out everything else on the profile to have a chance at it. But not the WWA.

Got it, Jane.

To others: This topic is about the profile completeness campaign, folks, and the new page that Colin has developed to make it easier to maintain the essential profile data. Colin would welcome feedback on this important topic. Let's not derail it by replaying the WWA thread.

Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:56
English to French
+ ...
A case of twisted arms... Oct 3, 2006

This is in response to the seemingly innocuous invitation to take part in the PFE new idea.
First of all, I am quite a docile person and do not usually like to press my views on a forum. If I do, it is without any animosity. I have followed the WWWA saga and just concluded that since I was not the lightest bit interested, I would just let things stay as they were, as far as I was concerned. It did not bother me. I just ignored it. (What bothered me more is the relentless search for NEW and NOT necessarily BETTER ideas. It turns the site into a ploughed field. It is getting more and more difficult to find our way there. Remember: we do not have all that time to spend fiddling and refiddling with all these "improvements").

But to the point: because I had enormously enjoyed the Oxford conference, and although I had no plans to go up North in November, the idea of a free trip to Edinburgh did make me rush to fill in the PP whatever Enough with these acronyms!). I did. so far so good.
But at the VERY END end of the page, once all the page had been filled in, I turned into a stone statue when I read that only those who got into the WWWA scheme could take part in the draw for the free conference.

That, Henry, is a grossly indecent trick, unworthy of ProZ. That is the poorest type of marketing tricks. It just shows how low the ProZ spirit has steeped to.

I am very, very disappointed and I am now wondering whether it is worth renewing my platinum subscription or indeed having anything to do with such a busybody and interfering site.
Needless to say I loved ProZ the way it used to be.

Claudettte Hepburn

[Edited at 2006-10-03 11:05]

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No trip for me either Oct 3, 2006

Hi,
Like Claudette, I find WWA thing uninteresting so I chose not to enter anything... no trip to Edinburgh for me either.

But my main reason for posting is that when I go to see this new profile page, half the content of the "About me" section has disappeared! Only the first three words of the second paragraph are left. Where is the rest? Is that a bug? I checked in my current profile page and it's the same. I won't type all this text again to see it disappear tomorrow so I'd like to know first if there is some new text length limitation in that section and if there's a way for you to retrieve the deleted text.

There's also a problem in the working fields. I tried to add one, the section says "Your working fields: 4 (max 30)" so I thought I could do it but I get an error message "Error adding one or more fields. You have reached the max number of fields"... Is that normal?
Should I submit a support ticket?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Marie-Céline GEORG

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Attention Oct 3, 2006

The Quick Profile editor turns the non-breaking spaces, euro signs and bullets in your profile into question marks.

Regards,
Gerard

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New profile updater available. We are about to start a complete profiles campaign.

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs