Mobile menu

Just for fun: Nominations / voting is invited for ProZ.com / SDL "Translator Awards Night"!
Thread poster: justin C

justin C
United States
Local time: 14:01
English
Oct 31, 2006

As part of the "SDL TRADOS Technologies Awards Night" at the 47th annual ATA conference in New Orleans this thursday, November 2nd, ProZ.com will be announcing winners for the "Best translator collaborator of the year", and the "Best project manager of the year" awards. Site users are invited to make nominations for the categories above and to vote for nominees by visiting our awards page located at http://www.proz.com/awards.

As was the case last year, this is more of a lighthearted event than anything else. Since the winners will need to be in attendance at the ATA conference, we ask that you nominate people who you know will be going.

The winners will be brought onstage and given a trophy.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Even if "lighthearted" Nov 1, 2006

justin wrote:

As part of the "SDL TRADOS Technologies Awards Night" at the 47th annual ATA conference in New Orleans this thursday, November 2nd, ProZ.com will be announcing winners for the "Best translator collaborator of the year", and the "Best project manager of the year" awards. Site users are invited to make nominations for the categories above and to vote for nominees by visiting our awards page located at http://www.proz.com/awards.

As was the case last year, this is more of a lighthearted event than anything else. Since the winners will need to be in attendance at the ATA conference, we ask that you nominate people who you know will be going.

The winners will be brought onstage and given a trophy.

How objective/worthwhile is the award when one must attend to be selected and when voters must know one is attending to be nominated?!

[Edited at 2006-11-01 00:17]

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Did I miss something? Nov 1, 2006

Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't know that there was an invitation to nominate and voting.

Who can be nominated? Translators attending to the ATA conference? Well, I don't know where I can suggest a nomination, but Aurora Humaran, and her group, , organized a 300 Conference in Buenos Aires, and she is attending to the ATA Conference in New Orleans. Shouldn't she -they- deserve to be nominated? Perphaps there are some nomination rules I have not understood.

Kind regads

Clarisa Moraña

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Please nominate her using the link provided! Nov 1, 2006

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't know that there was an invitation to nominate and voting.

Who can be nominated? Translators attending to the ATA conference? Well, I don't know where I can suggest a nomination, but Aurora Humaran, and her group, , organized a 300 Conference in Buenos Aires, and she is attending to the ATA Conference in New Orleans. Shouldn't she -they- deserve to be nominated? Perphaps there are some nomination rules I have not understood.

Just use the link provided. Good nomination!

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Sixth sense? Nov 1, 2006

I wonder how those on the other side of the Atlantic like myself are supposed to "know" who will be attending the ATA conference. Perhaps this is the preserve of those over the pond?

Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
And for those who won't be in New Orleans? Nov 1, 2006

Lia Fail wrote:

How objective/worthwhile is the award when one must attend to be selected and when voters must know one is attending to be nominated?!

[Edited at 2006-11-01 00:17]

My thoughts exactly! At the risk of sounding peevish, this seems very unfair.
Besides attending this conference, what other criteria will be used to elect this "Best Translator"?

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Just for fun at the show, folks... Nov 1, 2006

Please don't take this too seriously! Again, this is just intended for a bit of fun at the show... like an academy awards night...

Last year people from various places attended. The first three ProZ.com members I thought of who I have already heard will be there are from three separate continents.

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fun Nov 2, 2006

If it is just for fun, then that is what it is. It is not a major award so don't worry about it, people.

I finally threw out my dozens of bowling trophies not too long ago. I got a kick when I was presented with them, but they were just extra clutter in the end. Nobody remembers I got them except for myself.

Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Just for fun Nov 2, 2006

henry wrote:

Please don't take this too seriously!

Sorry if I got het up over nothing

That said, if I were a company choosing between Translator X and the holder of the 2006 ATA Best Translator Award, I know who I would choose...

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Just for fun but... Nov 3, 2006

I'm still with Sandra, Amy and Lia. I think it's a great idea to give an award to someone we think has done something worthwhile, but if we don't know who's going? It also seems unfair for someone we think is more deserving but will not be in attendance. Perhaps I'm missing the point?

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
As I see it Nov 9, 2006

Hi!

I did not vote this year as I was off line for TEN DAYS!!!!!!!!! (AGHGHGHGHG!), but I did vote last year. I voted in all the categories (I remember there was like a big worksheet) and I nominated Parrot (Ceci Avanceña) as Best Translator/Collaborator of the year, although I knew that she would not attend the ATA Conference.

I never understood one should choose exclusively from the group of prozians signed up for the conference, so I voted accordingly.

And, by the way, thank you so very much to the colleague who nominated me this year and thank you to all of you who thought I have somehow contributed with the community.

The nice crystal prize is already in Buenos Aires, in a special place in my studio.

Au

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Just for fun: Nominations / voting is invited for ProZ.com / SDL "Translator Awards Night"!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs