Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nov 4, 2002

My mail program is EUDORA, and sometimes (more and more often) when I click to answer to a message I have an error message saying that there is a pproblem with this KERNEL32.DLL. At the very beginning I had just to say accept and could continue on working. But it doesn\'t accept my acceptation any more although I can ignore the warning message and I\'m able to write and send my message. But if I want to make disappear the warning message I must reset my computer. It happens too many times in a day, I\'d like to find a solution.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, personally not yet Nov 4, 2002

In fact he (KERNEL32.DLL) was not introduced to me personally yet, but I´m quite sure, he is someone very important for your operating system.

KERNEL32.DLL is a Dynamic Link Library for Windows and it is one of the most important files you have in your system.

If your mail client does generate Kernel-Errors, than I´m afraid you need to uninstall the client and reinstall it afterwards (at least). But possibly this will not work either, so you will be forced to reinstall the whole system again, what I rather suppose will be the case (it is a pitty, but sometimes necessary).

Then you should think about upgrading system to Windows XP Professional, if you do not have it yet. With XP there should not be so much trouble, because XP has better protection mechanisms as other systems. In this case reinstalling the mail client or better replacing it with the newest version, compatible with XP, should help.

I´m sorry, but working with Windows systems means, that after having installed everything you need on your PC it is very advisable to make an image of your HDD (using Norton Ghost or something similar), as you do not need to reinstall everything manuall then, but only to copy the image to your HDD.

And one advice more: ALLWAYS set a separate partition on your HDD for documents, so they won´t be damaged in case of any system crashes.

HTH

Jerzy

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
French to English
links to knowledge base articles Nov 4, 2002

Claudia,

You might try looking at either of these locations to see if you can find a problem description that matches the symptoms that you are seeing.

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/901hq.html

http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?Catalog=LCID=1033&CDID=EN-US-KB&PRODLISTSRC=ON&withinResults=&QuerySource=gsfxAdvancedSearch_Query&Product=win2000&Queryc=Kernel32.dll%20invalid&Query=Kernel32.dll%20invalid&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=25&Titles=false&numDays=

These may not be helpful. the Eudora entry seems overly broad and the Microsoft entry is not sufficiently specific.

You didn\'t say which version of Windows you are using or the specific error message, they may allow you to make a more specific search on the Eudora or Microsoft sites.

Is your anti-virus software current? Some viruses can cause problems with kernel32.dll.

Bruce

mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:18
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try to reinstall Windows Nov 4, 2002

KERNEL32 is the core DLL of MS Windows, responsible for interface with applications. Try to \"refresh\" your Windows.

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you all Nov 4, 2002

Before reinstalling or changing my windows I\'ll try to find another solution. I think it\'s due to EUDORA.

The message is

Runtime error!

Program: C:/Archivos de programa/Qualcomm/Eudora.exe

(sorry it speaks Spanish, and I don\'t know how to make the slashes in the other direction)

I have Windows Millenium and Norton SystemWorks 2002.

Any ideas ? Is it possible that just overinstalling EUDORA is enough?

Thanks again

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try to deinstall Eudora first Nov 4, 2002

Runtime errors are caused by program libraries or other program files, so perhaps one of them is just damaged.

Usually it should be possible to go to the \"Controll Panel\" via Start menu, and then select Software to deinstall Eudora. Before deinstalling, however, make backup of your mails. I do not know Eudora, but it must be possible. After deinstalling restart your computer. Check for upgrade of Eudora and install the newest version.

This could help.

Should it not help and you find no other solution, and do not wish to reinstall the whole system, stick to another mail client. Explorer and Netscape have both quite good and free mail programs.

Jerzy

mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:18
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
probably it wouldn't be enough Nov 4, 2002

>>Any ideas ? Is it possible that just overinstalling EUDORA is enough?

Sorry, but probably it wouldn\'t be enough.

BTW: you can shift backslashes using \"Shift\" key (sure it depends on your keybord model)

Andreia Silva  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:18
English to Portuguese
+ ...
it is the brain of the operating system Nov 5, 2002

just my 2 cents!

Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, well, you might be right Nov 5, 2002

I\'ll try to survive until I finish my current project and then reinstall everything

Thank you very much.

Bruce Popp  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
French to English
I don't like Windows ME Nov 5, 2002

Windows ME has a bad reputation for crashing and the like. I would advise upgrading to Windows XP rather than reinstalling Windows ME.

Here\'s the order in which I suggest trying things:

1) try to resolve the problem using the Eudora (and Microsoft) knowledge base sites.

2) Uninstall and reinstall Eudora

3) (optional) transition from Eudora to MS Outlook or Outlook Express

4) upgrade Windows from ME to XP

XP is better than 2000 and both are dramatically better than ME

Bruce

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you know KERNEL32.DLL ?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs