Mobile menu

Kudoz: Proof of knowledge or of dishonesty?
Thread poster: Monica Colangelo

Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 8, 2002

If potential customers go by our Kudoz points

to choose the winning bidder of a job, they will most probably disregard a bid offered by a seasoned, experienced professional and opt instead for another one made by someone who earns thousands of Kudoz points by giving answers in 120 different language combinations. I call that sheer dishonesty.

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:24
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ points get attention, but ability and qualifications close the deal Nov 8, 2002

If a person has earned a few hundred points answering German medical questions, it is likely that a client will, quite correctly, give that person extra consideration for a German medical job. However, I do not know of any client that does not proceed to qualify the individual using their own internal screening procedures.

I would be surprised if someone with 1000 points or more, like you, is losing jobs because someone else has 100 more points.

Kjell
Local time: 03:24
Norwegian to Spanish
+ ...
please be concrete Nov 8, 2002

Give an example, or more...

Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Henry Nov 8, 2002

The main issue is not whether somebody is beating me by 100 points in the \"race\". If I just wanted to earn points I\'d answer far many more questions, not just two or three a day (when I do). What I find truly annoying is the fact that other people will do anything to earn them, even answer questions in language pairs they don\'t know a word in. As a result, also, those who are really qualified to answer such questions are left without a chance.

CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 21:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
+ ...
My two cents as a recruiter on Proz.com Nov 8, 2002

I do not look at the points, but at the profile first and foremost; I ask for relevant experience.

I don\'t think that anybody gets a job just because of the points. I don\'t.

People who have too many language pairs, especially going into different directions all over the place, do not inspire excessive confidence, unless, of course, the oursourcer knows zilch about translation.

Take heart!

paola l m

OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
English to German
+ ...
Paola is absolutely right Nov 9, 2002

There are thousands of ProZ members who have no KudoZ points at all. Just prove to your clients that you are good translator and then the jobs will come.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:24
English to German
+ ...
Same here, Paola Nov 9, 2002

I have used ProZ to identify freelancers on a number of occasions - the number of points is one of many indicators (number of languages in the profile - less is more; presentation of profile and/or website; shown expertise when asking questions; etc.).

Tomás Rosa Bueno  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A possible solution Dec 17, 2002

I don\'t know about other language pairs, but in my pair (EN>Br-PT), many \"KudoZ leaders\" seem to do nothing all day long but reply to nearly *every* question. Most of the time, their answers are just literal translations, and sometimes no translation at all (the \"this-is-not-translated\" type of answer).

This is compounded by a host of \"agrees\" from other KudoZ leaders who are in the game. And life goes on.

I think ProZ could implement some kind of average for points earned. For example, if someone answers 672 tech questions and earns 811 KudoZ points, he has an average of 1.2 points per answer given. If another translator has anwered 31 tech questions to earn 52 points, he has an average of 1.67 points per answer and is obviously a much safer bet as a good tech translator, even if he is way behind in KudoZ points.

This shouldn\'t be too hard to implement, from a technical point of view. It would inhibit certain less-than-honest practices and be a good at-a-glance meter for recruiters.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: Proof of knowledge or of dishonesty?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs