https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/638-can_i_ask_to_see_the_client%5Cs_face.html

can I ask to see the client\'s face?
Thread poster: Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 03:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2001

There is person I know who sends me translation jobs on and off. Two years ago I used to get substantial jobs from him.

He sends me a quotation form by fax and I have to fill up the details and send it to him. But he never mentions who the final client is.

The trouble is I cannot see the cleint\'s address.

But he tells me that he forwards my quotation to this ultimate client. He charges me a very nominal fee for these services.

Now
... See more
There is person I know who sends me translation jobs on and off. Two years ago I used to get substantial jobs from him.

He sends me a quotation form by fax and I have to fill up the details and send it to him. But he never mentions who the final client is.

The trouble is I cannot see the cleint\'s address.

But he tells me that he forwards my quotation to this ultimate client. He charges me a very nominal fee for these services.

Now days I have come to know that he has formed a group of favorite translators whom he gives regular work. But I get less and less work from him.

But he never fails to send me the quotation format, by fax, for any job he receives.

I suspect that he does not forward my quotation, which is a bit on higher side, so I never get the job.

How to go about this peculiar situation? Should I insist that I should be able to see the client?

Can he be legally liable for not showing the client’s face? There so many translators sending quotations to him.

Is it morally and legally binding on him to show us the face of the client, since he is taking a fee - although small?

Your suggestions please.

Collapse

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
Member (2005)
German to English
Knowing the final client Nov 26, 2001

This all comes from me in the USA, so take it as just one more data point.

I do not think you have a right to know who the final client is. Here, if you work through agencies (it appears that YOUR client is functioning as an agency), they RARELY, if ever, let the translator know who the final client is. Why should they? You would then be in a position (unprofessional, in my opinion) of approaching the client directly and cutting the agency out of the deal completely.
<
... See more
This all comes from me in the USA, so take it as just one more data point.

I do not think you have a right to know who the final client is. Here, if you work through agencies (it appears that YOUR client is functioning as an agency), they RARELY, if ever, let the translator know who the final client is. Why should they? You would then be in a position (unprofessional, in my opinion) of approaching the client directly and cutting the agency out of the deal completely.

So, your choices, as I see them:

1. Continue working as you are now and be dissatisfied.

2. Try to change this agency\'s policy to find out who the final client is. I believe that this will completely END your relationship with the agency.

3. Start marketing your services yourself and get your OWN clients. Then you will know who the final client is, but you will also know the amount of work that went in to finding that client and getting the work.

Hope this answers your question and alleviates some of your frustration.

Yours,

cantrell
Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 03:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No,it is not an agency Nov 26, 2001

No, it is not an agency, please.

Agencies, obviously need not disclose the names of the clients.

But this person acts like our well wisher.

He swears that he is not an agency.

Hence this question.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 18:01
German to English
+ ...
My 2 cents' worth Nov 26, 2001

Telesforo, as I understand it, this person is not an agency, but they do act as a kind of agent for you (like an actor\'s agent, for example).

In this situation, I would say that you are entitled to know the client (an actor also knows his/her final client).

However, I think this setup is quite strange, but perhaps common in your market - I really can\'t say.

jccantrell
jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:01
Member (2005)
German to English
agency or not Nov 26, 2001

T:

You claim that he is not an agency. OK, I will buy that. However, a saying here is, \"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...\" and this guy sure acts like an agency.

If he were truly a \"well-wisher\" then he would not function as an intermediary beyond just giving you the person to contact at HIS client\'s location. He would then step aside and let YOU handle further contact.

He does not appear to be doing that. But you claim he is a \'well-wisher\'
... See more
T:

You claim that he is not an agency. OK, I will buy that. However, a saying here is, \"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ...\" and this guy sure acts like an agency.

If he were truly a \"well-wisher\" then he would not function as an intermediary beyond just giving you the person to contact at HIS client\'s location. He would then step aside and let YOU handle further contact.

He does not appear to be doing that. But you claim he is a \'well-wisher\' so I would modify my original reply to say, just ask him who the client is and whether you may contact the client directly. If he gives a negative reply, then he IS an agency, regardless of what HE says or what YOU think.

Yours,

cantrell
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can I ask to see the client\'s face?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »