Are KudoZ questions too easy?
Thread poster: Magdalena Paśnikowska (X)
Magdalena Paśnikowska (X)
Magdalena Paśnikowska (X)
Local time: 19:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2001

I have joined your community quite recently, so let me say \"Hello!\" first.

I signed up to receive KudoZ questions in the Polish-English-Czech field, but as yet have not answered any. Why?

Because I have the impression that people out there, instead of looking in a regular dictionary, or thinking hard for a few minutes, think that any phrase, sentence, or word will be immediately translated by someone - without effort on their own part. I understand asking for assistance in
... See more
I have joined your community quite recently, so let me say \"Hello!\" first.

I signed up to receive KudoZ questions in the Polish-English-Czech field, but as yet have not answered any. Why?

Because I have the impression that people out there, instead of looking in a regular dictionary, or thinking hard for a few minutes, think that any phrase, sentence, or word will be immediately translated by someone - without effort on their own part. I understand asking for assistance in case of really difficult or very obscure words/phrases. But the e-mails I have received contain quite simple terms. I consider it a waste of my time to answer them when the translation is to be had in any good dictionary. Please, please Dear Translators - do some of the work on your own.

Magdalena Paœnikowska
Collapse

BernieM
BernieM
Canada
Local time: 10:42
French to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2001

Magdalena - yes, you are quite right that some of the Kudoz questions are very easy. However, in the case of the French/English Kudoz questions which I answer, there seems to be a clear distinction between questions posted by genuine translators and those posted by individuals who are looking for help on a one-off basis e.g. writing a letter or doing their school homework. The latter category obviously includes most of the easy questions that you refer to. You will soon begin to recognise the... See more
Magdalena - yes, you are quite right that some of the Kudoz questions are very easy. However, in the case of the French/English Kudoz questions which I answer, there seems to be a clear distinction between questions posted by genuine translators and those posted by individuals who are looking for help on a one-off basis e.g. writing a letter or doing their school homework. The latter category obviously includes most of the easy questions that you refer to. You will soon begin to recognise these 2 categories. As well as the complexity of the question, other signs are also present e.g. generally speaking, questions from \'non-translators\' do not have a registered \'asker\'s name\'. Also, you will quickly become familiar with the names of the genuine translators in your own language pairs as you come across them frequently. I would just say that, as a matter of principle, I usually avoid answering questions which appear to come from someone doing their school homework. I do not believe that the asker will ever learn the language properly by simply being given the answers rather than going through the thought processes themselves.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:42
English to German
+ ...
Not just translators out there... Nov 27, 2001

Hi Magdalena,

Don\'t forget that ProZ membership is not (and IMHO should not be) restricted to translators; also, some of the KudoZ questions are entered via linked sites.

Your obvious choice is, of course, to simply kick out the e-mails, or change your profile settings - but that is probably not what you want...

I queried a similar problem in the German/English sub-community - have a look at the discussion in this forum (\"Attempts to get...\").

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are KudoZ questions too easy?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »