Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Member (2004)
German to English
Nov 23, 2002

Hi!

Could someone please remind me how to google in 2 languages so that you get websites that have been translated in e.g. German and English.

Thanks

Gillian

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 16:52
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The way that I do it.... Nov 23, 2002

I either run the advanced search selecting language as English and Web suffix as .de, or I run a standard search and look for sites that have an /en/ or /de/ in their URL, etc. etc.....

Zuzana Suchá  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Czech
+ ...
My advice Nov 23, 2002

In the right upper area of the google site you should see these options: Advanced Search, Preferences and Lang Tools. Go to Preferences and chose one or more languages.

Cheers

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Also +English Nov 23, 2002

I use the method Alison describes, but also \"term-in-German\" +English. This is sometimes quicker for me, but can be frustrating. For example, for a financial term, it will turn up Commerzbank\'s glossary in German because the home page includes an English button - but there is no English version of their glossary.

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Or.... Nov 24, 2002

If you can guess at one of the words in English (e.g. you have Kreditwesengesetz and you are pretty sure that one of the words in English is gonna be \"Act\"), then type in \"Kreditwesengesetz\" and \"Act\" (or \"Schäferhund\" and \"dog\" or whatever) into google. It will then find you all the sites where those two words appear.

Alison

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Googling in 2 languages

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs