https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/657-forcing_job_posters_to_reveal_their_profile.html

Forcing job posters to reveal THEIR profile?
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 28, 2001

I only seldom contribute to ProZ fora (forums?), but now I give it a go.

Previous posters are absolutely right in suggesting that translators have the right to see the identity of job posters.

Even after a job is assigned to me, I spend quite some time to collect some \"intelligence\" about the company. In many cases the information I gather is contradictory, or I cannot find any info at all. Now, most of the agencies are honest and sometimes they even provided me some refere
... See more
I only seldom contribute to ProZ fora (forums?), but now I give it a go.

Previous posters are absolutely right in suggesting that translators have the right to see the identity of job posters.

Even after a job is assigned to me, I spend quite some time to collect some \"intelligence\" about the company. In many cases the information I gather is contradictory, or I cannot find any info at all. Now, most of the agencies are honest and sometimes they even provided me some reference (other ProZ members who previously worked for them).

I already got my fingers burnt a couple of times (combined outstanding amount over USD 1600).

My proposal is therefore: How about forcing (OK, \"encouraging\") agencies and direct clients to reveal their identity in a profile, perhaps downloadable the same way as translators\' profiles? An idea would be that any entity could only post a job if beforehand they complete an online form with the name of the company, phone/fax numbers, email, website, address + name of the person actually posting.

If translators are given this security, they would be much more confident in paying that buck for the bidding procedure. I personally don\'t mind paying for a service that I can only benefit from, but an element of \"equal opportunities\" would be a welcome feature of the site.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:22
SITE FOUNDER
That is the plan Nov 28, 2001

This was covered in another thread. You have arrived at the conclusion in one fell swoop.

(Note that there will be some limitations on visibility of agency information, just as there are limitations on visibility of translator information. Basically, control is given to the owner of the information.)

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 14:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
I quite didn't understand it Nov 28, 2001

Henry,

Your answer to the question of Csaba Ban looks quite fuzzy.

It apparently( may be I am wrong) looked like a spokesman of a Defense Ministry talking to the press, using carefully crafted words, leaving much to guess out, giving out not much information.

I am still thinking about what another colleague said on another thread :

\"In addition, public tenders are subject to rigorous rules - and the ProZ bidding process should (and m
... See more
Henry,

Your answer to the question of Csaba Ban looks quite fuzzy.

It apparently( may be I am wrong) looked like a spokesman of a Defense Ministry talking to the press, using carefully crafted words, leaving much to guess out, giving out not much information.

I am still thinking about what another colleague said on another thread :

\"In addition, public tenders are subject to rigorous rules - and the ProZ bidding process should (and must) come under similar rules.\"

As long as there is no public bidding your, I suppose, your statement : \"Control is given to the owner of the information\" is perfectly alright.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-28 07:11 ]
Collapse

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Asking for some clarification.... Nov 28, 2001

I am relatively new at ProZ, and having observed the postings from some of the colleagues have to say, that inability to see any information on the poster does not make life any easier... So, when on the one hand Henry says that they will be made to provide information, and on the other hand that they will have the control over how much information can be seen - what does this mean?! It\'s the same thing as now! Maybe they already fill out forms, it\'s just that they choose not to let anyone see... See more
I am relatively new at ProZ, and having observed the postings from some of the colleagues have to say, that inability to see any information on the poster does not make life any easier... So, when on the one hand Henry says that they will be made to provide information, and on the other hand that they will have the control over how much information can be seen - what does this mean?! It\'s the same thing as now! Maybe they already fill out forms, it\'s just that they choose not to let anyone see them? Any job must be accompanied by contact telephone and fax numbers, not just a nameless e-mail address!Collapse

Isak Otto
Isak Otto
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:22
English to Danish
+ ...
Freedom to choose Nov 28, 2001

I quite agree that it would be very desirable to be able to see who a job poster is. And paying for bidding would then make much more sense too. It would probably also discourage anyone hoping to have free translations done by way of samples!

I don\'t feel strongly about their right to limit the amount of info that they wish to supply. If someone chooses to limit their info that one cannot make a check on them/contact them, we have always the freedom not to bid!
[addsig]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 11:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
another thread Nov 29, 2001

My post was meant to be a reply to that particular other thread. By mistake I clicked on the wrong link.

Anyway, my point is still the same: I would welcome an agency/job poster profile available to potential bidders.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forcing job posters to reveal THEIR profile?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »