Thread poster: Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 25, 2002

Recently I installed an application in my computer to filter the increasing number of spam mail I receive daily.

These applications incorporate a series of filters based on common features present in spams, and don\'t download the messages matching their filtering instructions until you agree to it.

Well, the problem is that one of these features common in spams is that the sender is \"nobody\". So, many mails from Proz that come through our profile page
... See more
Recently I installed an application in my computer to filter the increasing number of spam mail I receive daily.

These applications incorporate a series of filters based on common features present in spams, and don\'t download the messages matching their filtering instructions until you agree to it.

Well, the problem is that one of these features common in spams is that the sender is \"nobody\". So, many mails from Proz that come through our profile pages etc. and where \'nobody\' appears as the sender, will go directly to a killed mail bin from which you will have to rescue them... They won\'t appear in your Outlook or Eudora etc. until you agree to it by opening the spam filtering application.

So, I can think of two possibilities to get your \'nobody\' proz mail at the time being:

1.- Check that the filter \'the sender is nobody\' is not present in your anti-spam. You will get some extra spam besides your proz mail but it is better than being late for a bid, for instance.

2.- Please, PROZ, don\'t use \'nobody\' when sending messages.Personally, I think this would be the best solution.

FYI
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 20:03
Japanese to English
+ ...
Tune it up Nov 25, 2002

Maybe your spam filter can be set to deny a message if:

1. sender is nobody -- AND --

2. sender is NOT proz.com

Depends on how configurable it is.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:03
Chinese to English
+ ...
Have you tried "Mailwasher"? Nov 26, 2002

I\'ve been trying out \"Mailwasher\", a very nice and FREE program that filters spam before it hits your computer (it deletes unwanted mails from the server directly, and even lets you bounce junk mail back to the sender -- and yes, you CAN look at it first if you want!)

Under that program, you have a list of \"Friends\" you can edit, so that you could enter \"proz.com\" as a Friendly address and it would not be eaten by the program automatically. \"Mailwasher\" also gives y
... See more
I\'ve been trying out \"Mailwasher\", a very nice and FREE program that filters spam before it hits your computer (it deletes unwanted mails from the server directly, and even lets you bounce junk mail back to the sender -- and yes, you CAN look at it first if you want!)

Under that program, you have a list of \"Friends\" you can edit, so that you could enter \"proz.com\" as a Friendly address and it would not be eaten by the program automatically. \"Mailwasher\" also gives you the chance to review the mail in your box before handling it, so that you can save the occasional item you want to read before it\'s erased.

HTH

Terry
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:03
English to Swedish
+ ...
The solution Nov 26, 2002

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try all this... Nov 26, 2002

Thanks Terry and Sven. My spam killer also allows adding friends, but soemtimes it doesn\'t seem to recognize them

I have just installed Jasp, following Sven\'s tip. Hope that works, spam is becoming sort of a nightmare to me!

Robin Ward
Robin Ward
Germany
Local time: 19:03
German to English
+ ...
To Terry ..... Nov 28, 2002

I\'d love to know where I can get hold of \"Mailwasher\". Spam really bugs me in my office several times a day, but nobody around, even our IT guys, can tell me how to get rid of it!

- Robin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz mail and Spam killing applications

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »