https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/716-anonymous_postings_abuse_of_site.html

Anonymous postings - abuse of site
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:02
Spanish to English
Dec 3, 2001

Would whoever has managed to post messages with links to my profile like to identify him/herself?

I have no need to post anonymous messages and have never done so. If anyone has noticed an anonymous posting with a link to my profile, could you please tell me where it is?

I will not post any more messages in this forum until this problem has been resolved.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Same Happened To Me Dec 3, 2001

Hi Nikki,

I read your message and as I noticed a couple of anonymous postings yesterday, I started checking the forums...

Well, I found a little anonymous posting saying something like: \"It wasn\'t actually that anonymous.. you can click on the profile to see who posted this message..\" I clicked on that and saw my own profile!!!

I DIDN\'T post anything anonymously, I would NEVER do it, therefore I\'d like to know myself who is the funny guy.
... See more
Hi Nikki,

I read your message and as I noticed a couple of anonymous postings yesterday, I started checking the forums...

Well, I found a little anonymous posting saying something like: \"It wasn\'t actually that anonymous.. you can click on the profile to see who posted this message..\" I clicked on that and saw my own profile!!!

I DIDN\'T post anything anonymously, I would NEVER do it, therefore I\'d like to know myself who is the funny guy. Whenever I want to reply to a topic, I do it and add my own signature. Should you see an anonymous posting leading to my profile, you can be sure I didn\'t post it. I hope is only a system bug.

Giuliana
[addsig]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have notified ProZ Dec 3, 2001

Whenever you have a problem that needs to be addressed, you may send a support request directly to ProZ (click \'Support Requests\' on this page).

I just sent a notification to ProZ regarding your problem and I\'m sure the tech wizard at ProZ will take care of it.

Have a nice day

Bruno Capitelli
Bruno Capitelli  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Poster identification Dec 3, 2001

In the light of this last situation, I think it\'s time for posters to identify theirselves with e mail address and phone if they want to post a job. No more anonimous posters have to be permitted!

Bruno

Bruno Capitelli
Bruno Capitelli  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Poster identification Dec 3, 2001

In the light of this last situation, I think it\'s time for posters to identify theirselves with full name, e mail, mail address and phone number if they want to post a job. No more anonimous posters have to be permitted!

Bruno

shasas
shasas  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
No need to worry Dec 3, 2001

The profile link in anonymous postings just calls one\'s own profile. Nice wake-up call, though

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Missing profile Dec 3, 2001

I think there is something wrong with this person\'s profile, rather than there being anything sinister going on!

If you look at the forums listing, one of them shows the last posting was made by \'gholmer\'. This is the \'anonymous\' posting at the end of the \'Public Bids ...\' thread. However, if you search on this username, nobody comes up ... As I say, my guess would be that it\'s a bug rather than anything more sinister, but, as Evert so rightly pointed out, I\'m sure
... See more
I think there is something wrong with this person\'s profile, rather than there being anything sinister going on!

If you look at the forums listing, one of them shows the last posting was made by \'gholmer\'. This is the \'anonymous\' posting at the end of the \'Public Bids ...\' thread. However, if you search on this username, nobody comes up ... As I say, my guess would be that it\'s a bug rather than anything more sinister, but, as Evert so rightly pointed out, I\'m sure the boys in the technical corner will be on top of it in no time!

Regards

Mary
Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps it's a bug Dec 3, 2001

that happens to everyone.

But who\'s been posting the anonymous messages anyway?

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 23:02
German to English
+ ...
Here's what's going on Dec 3, 2001

ABC joins ProZ. ABC does not enter his name; he signs up using a username and e-mail address only. The profile remains largely blank. Then, ABC posts a message to the forum, but the links to his profile and username don\'t work until he completes his profile and enters his personal information.

If you click on the profile icon, you will be taken to your own profile. That\'s why we all see \"ourselves\" and believe that there is some kind of weird thing going on or that someo
... See more
ABC joins ProZ. ABC does not enter his name; he signs up using a username and e-mail address only. The profile remains largely blank. Then, ABC posts a message to the forum, but the links to his profile and username don\'t work until he completes his profile and enters his personal information.

If you click on the profile icon, you will be taken to your own profile. That\'s why we all see \"ourselves\" and believe that there is some kind of weird thing going on or that someone else might have accessed our member profile.

This also happened about 2 weeks ago. After a week or so, the links started to work and \"Anonymous\" was no longer anonymous.

At least, that\'s my take.
Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well, not being technically minded Dec 3, 2001

I didn\'t think it was a bug until I saw all your replies (thanks everyone) and have just got a message from Jason saying that this is the case. However, can\'t this be solved on a permanent basis? Otherwise someone else might get a scare later on....

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 08:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
See the pattern Dec 3, 2001

We saw hidden job posters and now hidden forum postings.

There is a systematic logic to this game of conmanship.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:02
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
it is simply a software glitch... Dec 4, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-03 19:32, telef wrote:

We saw hidden job posters and now hidden forum postings.

There is a systematic logic to this game of conmanship.

Oh, come on... it\'s a bug and it will be solved!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anonymous postings - abuse of site

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »