Mobile menu

Complaint regarding job posting requiring Indians for Spanish-to-English job
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz
Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2002

Deconstruction of Announcement

It\'s interesting that a recent posting that requires Indians for Spanish-to-English translation would be considered racist in the US. I guess they don\'t mean American Indians of either origin (Amerindians or Indian-born U.S. citizens)...

Imagine changing Indians to Afro-Americans...

Also, are the Indians that are being sought ones residing in India only? What about Indians who live outside India? No go, right?

I find the coding of this announcement interesting. We all know what it really means because here on Proz, we often extend a helping hand to those who actually do these translations...

Direct link

Bill Greendyk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:55
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think Tayfun's right, Jane Dec 26, 2002

The ad caught my attention as well, Jane, and I\'m afraid Tayfun is right on the mark --this person is looking for lower rates, which he\'ll most likely find in India than in many other countries.

Happy holidays!

Direct link
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:55
English to German
+ ...
That's exactly what Jane meant, Dec 27, 2002

she just didn\'t spell it out. They are looking for cheap translators without actually saying so.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Complaint regarding job posting requiring Indians for Spanish-to-English job

Advanced search

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs