Mobile menu

Why I am not ready to help localize ProZ for the Slovenian Language.
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:05
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Jun 21, 2007

I have received your mail - thank you! - as follows (in excerpts):

"This mail is being sent to you because you are a registered member of ProZ.com ....You have been invited to join the ProZ Slovenian Localization Team . ..."

Please excuse me for answering in public, but I hope to elicit some public response - after all, my answer and attitude is probably a minority opinion. Which is exactly the reason why I answer this way. My answer is namely "No, I decline": I am not ready to help localize ProZ for the Slovenian Language.

Reason 1: I think that any Slovenian translator, who cant manage the English, would have hard times anyhow, localized or not localized. In other words the prime reason(?) - the users - does not wash.

Reason 2: if the drive is meant like "lets do something useful together", then I have gazillions of better ideas:

o localize the NGO material
o translate (ie localize to English!) best Slovenian blogs
o collaborate in the Gutenberg project
o collaborate in the Google books project
o collaborate in other (open source) localisation drives

The idea of localizing the site to my mother language reminds me of Judy Garlands & Mickey Rooneys "Lets make a show" films. Or even worse, of Stahanow - i will not try to explain it, but anybody who grew up east of what used to be the iron curtain will get it.

Reason 3: when I checked it with my colleagues, the unisono reaction was "no, I dont have time", seasoned with a few "are you kidding" comments: we´re a bunch of pros right now, who can't afford to spend their only capital, the time, to prove (the Stahanow way) they can move mountains (at N/C).

Reason 4: if I wanted to make a stand for my mother language, theres so many other, more effective ways to do it. Reading a book or two by a Slovenian author (!) would be a good starter. Translating a short story or two to a major foreign language ... - you get the idea.

Thank you and I hope you will understand.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2007-06-21 22:08]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-22 03:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:05
SITE FOUNDER
Would all of your potential clients and colleagues search first in English rather than Slovenian? Jun 22, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
I think that any Slovenian translator, who cant manage the English, would have hard times anyhow, localized or not localized. In other words the prime reason(?) - the users - does not wash.

I suppose it may not be a question of "managing" so much as a question of what language people search in first. Can you not imagine a client, or colleague, who might search for {the Slovenian word for translators} before searching for "translators"?

Whether for this reason of another, in the languages that members have localized so far, we seem to be experiencing increases in both registrants (ie. potential collaborators) and search engine traffic (including potential clients.)

In my view, the volunteers should be appreciated for this meaningful contribution to the community, a contribution that is of benefit not only to themselves but to all ProZ.com members who work in the languages into which they have localized.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 05:05
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Touche, Henry... Jun 22, 2007

Of course if there's a pull-up effect, it's worth it. I missed out on this PoV, because with my portfolio mix of close to 90% foreign vs 10% Slovenian clients, it is not that evident and/or of interest to me. But (!), I would of course be ready to help push if/when the mass gets critical.

So, you may change the name of this thread to "Why I would possibly be ready ..." etc;). As you may see, I am an easy sell; it just takes selling.

Re volunteers, I have so far translated around 65.000 words pro bono (...proud of my OpenOffice involvement...), so I know what you mean.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2007-06-22 13:39]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why I am not ready to help localize ProZ for the Slovenian Language.

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs