Thread poster: Laura Gentili

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:46
Partial member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 7, 2001

Is there anyone else who did the PNS test in Tuscany last September (and paid the fee) and never heard anything about the result?

I thought the certification might be useful here in Israel, as local clients often ask \"but are you REALLY Italian?\", so I took the test last September. How long does it take to have 3 people listen to the tape and decide whether you are a native speaker or not???

Direct link Reply with quote

mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
All Quite on the Native Speaker Front Dec 7, 2001

I wasn\'t in Tuscany but I had noticed that nothing further has been said about the native speaker certification. I enquired about it but received no reply from ProZ.

Why was there all this fuss about launching this new idea and then nothing?

Paola Guzzetta  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
native certification Dec 7, 2001

i did the PNS test in tuscany too; i e-mailed henry at least three times about it but got no answer.

however i have noticed that several proz members have got the N on their profile page, so what happened?

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
?? Dec 7, 2001

Hi,

I took the test in Tuscany for both languages (English and Italian), since I\'m in the same boat as Laura -- with a name like Bolton, who would believe I grew up in Italy? Anyway, I got the English certification right away because the tester (Henry) could obviously grade it himself. I wrote to him about two months ago and he said the Italian was being processed, but I\'ve heard nothing since.

I realize that there was a great deal of debate about it in the forums, but some of us may need it or want it for our own reasons. An answer either way certainly would seem fair.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Native certification Dec 8, 2001

Colin, you said: \"Why was there all this fuss about launching this new idea and then nothing?\"

Obviously because it was a very bad idea.

Giovanni

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't agree Dec 8, 2001

For me (and it seems several others), having that \"N\" in our profiles would not be a bad idea.

Take my name, for instance. Dyran Altenburg doesn\'t sound like the name of a native speaker of both Spanish and English (born in Mexico from Spanish parents, educated in British and American schools).

That might also avoid other confusions, like getting requests to translate texts into German, which I know very little of.

Quote:

On 2001-12-08 03:50, guarnieri wrote:

Colin, you said: \"Why was there all this fuss about launching this new idea and then nothing?\"

Obviously because it was a very bad idea.

Giovanni

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 12:46
SITE FOUNDER
not all tapes have been processed Dec 8, 2001

Sorry for the delay folks. We are backed up on tapes, but will be processing them soon.

Telesforo Fernandez
Local time: 23:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a listing Dec 9, 2001

Apparently, PROZ is no more than a listing, as Henry has stated in an other discussion thread.

So, its native certification or any other may run into rough weather.

Obviously there could be some legal implications too while issuing these certifications, unless,of course, such a certification is purely of private value on a public site.

Are there any legal implications involved in such certifications? If not,nothing prevents any Jacky or Molly to issue such certificates.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-09 10:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-09 10:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-09 13:04 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ Native Speaker Certification

Advanced search

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs