Thread poster: Parrot

Parrot  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2003

Hi ProZ,

It’s January once more, closing time for 2002, time for VAT statements and year-end balances. A time of introspection for our dear clients (what else would you call balancing accounts). So while they’re at it and busy, may I suggest we do a little introspection ourselves, as to whether our profile pages are working or not.

Time was when the profile was expected to be a kind of CV. However, with the “upload your CV” function, it no longer has to repeat what you wrote in that document. Is your CV 10 pages long? Pick out the salient points that will help an outsourcer decide. Is it too short for your liking? Play up your strengths, expound on your specializations. It would help to work with your CV in plain view. (Who knows? You might even find points to improve in it).

Some possible documented milestones in your career:

- What got you into translation/interpretation, anyway? An undergraduate degree in a related major? A translation/interpretation MA? A linguistics PhD?

- Extensive travel and residence in the places where your source languages are spoken? Might you have taken proficiency courses while you were at it? (Don’t throw away those certificates!)

- Did you take and pass any credentialling examinations? How about assessment interviews for language service providers? Were you working in language services before you decided to go on your own? (Don’t throw away that employment record!) Or did you just come in cold turkey and start hacking? (Those years count...)

- Have you successfully passed a quality standards audit (ISO, DIN, AENOR, etc.) by any chance? This says something about metrics.

- Have you ever been published as a translator? Have you won a translation award? Has any institution ever given you grants-in-aid for excellent linguistics performance? Have you published or delivered any papers or research? (Where might we read them? Can you link them to your profile if they are on-line? These contributions are always welcome).

These are just a few ways of sharing yourselves and your experience through your profiles. I’m sure you know more.

Address your market, even if it isn’t in English – that’s what ProZ is about!

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-13 16:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
English to Italian
+ ...
How about PC literacy Jan 13, 2003

There was a recent post describing a negative experience with a translator who was not Word proficient.

Let\'s not take it for granted: we should state how PC proficient we are in our profiles.

I\'ll will update mine, too

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What I\'d like to see in a profile

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs