Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 6, 2003

So when you circulate anti-whatever country propaganda using Proz then you are sure to get negative feedback from certain people.

There is a consensus among the posters of this topic that spamming Proz users with your political opinions is an abuse of the site.

Spani

Direct link

Ouadoud  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
and that makes Proz.com great! Feb 6, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-06 14:53, Spani wrote:

So when you circulate anti-whatever country propaganda using Proz then you are sure to get negative feedback from certain people.

There is a consensus among the posters of this topic that spamming Proz users with your political opinions is an abuse of the site.

Spani

Direct link

Jacek Krankowski  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I see nothing wrong Feb 6, 2003

...about people expressing their views strictly off-topic and without insulting others, just as, when you turn on your TV or open your newspaper, you should be able to get both sides of the story. Interpreters, in particular, are used to be listening to both sides without getting aggravated by the variety of opinions expressed. I find this no more divisive than the office talk about how bad or how good our boss is, or about how shallow or how deep Harry Potter is, or how stupid or how great computer games are, etc., etc. Show me ANY topic which is not divisive. I am now looking out of the window and I see the world covered with snow which I love. How I hate winter, says my wife...

My 2 cents

(won\'t tell you whether these are US or euro cents not to add any more fuel to the flames)

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:27
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Edward Feb 6, 2003

No politics here, please.

Direct link

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
ProZ.com - a place for everyone Feb 6, 2003

Let\'s keep ProZ.com aside from politics and wars. Let\'s keep it as a place where we ALL like to \"meet\" and enjoy it.

Monika

Direct link

Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 09:27
English
+ ...
I love snow too. Feb 6, 2003

Jacek writes

Quote:

...I am now looking out of the window and I see the world covered with snow which I love. How I hate winter, says my wife...

As a child, I slept one floor up, next to the window and right across from a street lamp. So all the gently falling snowflakes were always backlit.

It helped teach me the beauty of contemplation from more than one angle.

Direct link

English to Polish
+ ...
Welcome, Arthur! Feb 6, 2003

The windows of my guest room face a street lamp, so you are welcome if you want to drop in. On one condition: This being an off-topic situation NO topics will be banned. If you do not like my off-topic area, stay away from it, I will take you on a tour around my on-topic office. Live and let live!

Direct link

English to Polish
+ ...
Thank you, Tayfun Feb 6, 2003

...for your insight!

Direct link

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
To Jacek Feb 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-06 20:38, jacek wrote:

Live and let live!

Dear Jacek,

Just out of curiosity:

If a stranger comes to occupy your living room and kitchen, what would you do? Would you still \"Live and let live?\"

Monika

Direct link

English to Polish
+ ...
Dear Monika Feb 7, 2003

I was rather thinking in terms of an off-topic café where if someone starts talking about, say, rugby, personally I would move to the next post, pardon, table where I would not be bothered or scandalized and could freely join another discussion people are interested in between translations they are working on. About my real world living-room, I would be very careful in selecting whom to invite over, but the principle remains the same: Choose where you feel comfortable, live and let live. Now, if you are asking me what to do with unruly guests of our virtual café when and only when they start misbehaving, i.e. insulting others, I surely agree that such threads should be locked. But I would never a priori ban rugby as a topic in a public space only because it bothers me.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-20 14:23]

Direct link

English to Polish
+ ...
Do not read if you do not want to be bothered! Feb 7, 2003

The \"Guernica\" work by Pablo Picasso at the entrance of the Security Council of the United Nations (a reproduction donated by Nelson A. Rockefeller) was covered with a curtain on the days the Council discussed Iraq. The reason for covering this work is that this is the place where diplomats make

statements to the press and have this work as the background. The Picasso work features the horrors of war. On January 27 a large blue curtain was placed to cover the work. Fred Eckhard, press secretary of the U.N. said: \"It is an appropriate background for the cameras.\" He was questioned as to

why the work had been covered. A diplomat stated that it would not be an appropriate background if the ambassador of the United States at the U.N. John Negroponte, or Powell, talk about war surrounded with women, children and animals shouting with horror and showing the suffering of the bombings.

(I am not sure the countries we come from are that different...)

Direct link

xxxTimeinTime
English to French
+ ...
you are right Feb 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-07 03:03, monika wrote:

Quote:

On 2003-02-06 20:38, jacek wrote:

Live and let live!

Dear Jacek,

Just out of curiosity:

If a stranger comes to occupy your living room and kitchen, what would you do? Would you still \"Live and let live?\"

Monika

And by the way, I know by experience that people who speak about freedom, against war, etc are always the most intolerant, they are nice with you if your thinkings are the same than them but if you have other thinkings. they become rude and intolerant, I hate people who think they are the only ones who are reason.

Direct link

English to Polish
+ ...
Fully agree Feb 7, 2003

Quote:

I hate people who think they are the only ones who are reason.

I think we all agree that for people who \"are the only ones who are reason\" AND for those who hate other people there is no room at ProZ, from KudoZ to Forums. Luckily, they can be and are either locked or deleted in no time.

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:27
SITE FOUNDER
Closing the thread Feb 7, 2003

Point made; we are indeed from many countries (and are of many cultures).

You may expect me to be consistent in closing off-topic threads that have any chance of being controversial at all.

I am closing this topic, which has become divisive. Please do not continue this discussion in other threads.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

We are from many different countries

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs