Mobile menu

Polite you (usted) vs. informal you (tu)... similar in Korean? (working on subtitles)
Thread poster: Juan Jacob

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:45
French to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2003

Hello everybody. First of all, please excuse my very bad english writing. I\'m specialized in motion pictures translations for subtitling. Right now, I\'m translating from korean the motion picture called Chihwaseon about a famous korean painter in the XIX th century. I\'ve got VHS version with english subtitles and I\'m translating it into spanish. As I don\'t know anything about korean, I\'ve got a very important question for korean collegues: is there,like in french and in spanish, a difference between \"you\" (\"tú in spanish, or \"toi\" in french, speaking to a friend, for example), and \"you\" (\"usted\" in spanish, or \"vous\" in french, marking respect). Obviously, this is very important, as you could imagine.

Thanks a lot to all of you.

Juan Jacob. Mexico.

Direct link Reply with quote

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:45
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes, it is. Feb 28, 2003

There is actually even more forms to say \"you\" in Korean depending on to whom one speaks (to someone higher then speaker, equal or lower in terms of age, position, sex and marital status...). That is the short answer.

The long answer: I did a MA thesis on honorific pronouns in Korean years ago There is probably several papers and books on that, but can\'t find them on the net, unfortunately.

HTH

Magda

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-03-01 11:36]

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks... Mar 1, 2003

So, I\'ll have to translate in context, thanks. Two more things: there is a \"kisaeng\", just like a geisha. Is that it?

They talk about a \"maranta\" (sort of brush for painting) and about \"kimchi\" (sort of paint): any idea, any link with a korean speaker?

Thanks a lot.

Juan Jacob. Mexico.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:45
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
honorifics in Korean Mar 1, 2003

Hola Juán,

Si lees alemán, echa una mirada a:

http://angli02.kgw.tu-berlin.de/Hunminjongum/honorifics/Honorific-t.htm

en inglés:

http://ling.wisc.edu/abstracts/wklee.htm

Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Mar 1, 2003

...to Magda and Marcus, very helpfull. Write you soon.

Juan.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Polite you (usted) vs. informal you (tu)... similar in Korean? (working on subtitles)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs