Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Where would you like to have the next conference?
Thread poster: Niraja Nanjundan
Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
German to English
Dec 5, 2007

Hi everyone,

I’ve been reading some of the forums attached to the recent regional conferences in Canada, France and Germany and see that there are suggestions to repeat conferences at these locations next year.

I haven’t attended a ProZ.com conference yet and would very much like to. I have no objection to repeats of previous conference locations as such, but since there are a lot of members from different parts of the world, I think it would be nice to have the conferences in different countries each time, so that translators from the different regions get a chance to attend a conference, and translators from other countries can visit a new country each time.

I wanted to ask everyone in this forum what their preferred conference locations would be. I hope the site staff and conference organisers won’t mind my taking the liberty of doing so and apologies if some of the locations are already being considered.

Some of my preferred locations would be:

Europe:
Spain – there seem to be a lot of members based in Spain, both freelancers and agencies, so I’m sure response would be good

Asia:
China or India – for obvious reasons

North America:
United States

South America:
Mexico or Brazil

Best regards,
Niraja

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:48
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Egypt Dec 5, 2007

(the hidden agenda)

That said, India during the cool months is fine as well.

Spain? Ahem, any volunteers?

Oh, yes - China?

[Edited at 2007-12-05 14:01]

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Conferences are held at locations where there are good conference organizers Dec 5, 2007

While I cannot speak on behalf of Proz.com, I do have some experience in organizing such events, namely the one that took place in Budapest earlier this year.

Based on a series of discussions with staff, the bottomline seems to be that conferences are held wherever a Proz.com member volunteers to organize one. Obviously there are other considerations, such as local costs (conference space, equipment, meals, hotel rooms, etc.), convenience and costs of getting there (airport hub, good transport links), as well as the number of potential participants.

While the overall population of India and China is enormous, the highest concentration of Proz.com members is in Europe: an estimated 70% of all members are from the "old continent", and distances are also easier to cover.

This means that the most logical place to organize conferences would be in Europe (personally, I would prefer rotating locations), but this should not mean that other countries are barred from hosting a similar event. In fact, if a future conference takes place anywhere in Asia, I'm sure there will be several participants from Europe, the Middle East, the Americas or even Africa.

good luck with organizing one - I will certainly consider flying to India for such an occasion

Csaba

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
- Dec 5, 2007

Hi Csaba,

Csaba Ban wrote:

the bottomline seems to be that conferences are held wherever a Proz.com member volunteers to organize one.

I believe this was the case until the Budapest conference, which you organised so successfully. However, there is now a staff member in charge of organising conferences, so does this still apply?

the highest concentration of Proz.com members is in Europe: an estimated 70% of all members are from the "old continent", and distances are also easier to cover.

True, but then how do you explain the relatively low turnout at the recent regional conferences in France and Germany, compared to previous ones?

Best regards,
Niraja

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
International conferencies should be held in different locations Dec 5, 2007

but smaller local conferencies could as well be scheduled as a fixed event every year.
This is what we possibily try to do in Germany - estabilishing the X-Mas conference as a habit

Jerzy

Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
England and the rest of the world Dec 5, 2007

A conference in England (preferably York) would be lovely. Well, this is simply to find a reason to go back and visit soon!

Seriously, I don't think it really matters where the conference is held as long as people turn up and have fun. The turning up part though is the tricky part because it costs money and the more remote the location the harder it is to get there at a reasonable price. Of course, Csaba is right in saying that local volunteers are needed. Isn't it always the same story? - the volunteer work is usually done by the same dedicated people. It follows that events would be organized in the same places.

Julia

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, it does still apply... Dec 5, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Hi Csaba,

Csaba Ban wrote:

the bottomline seems to be that conferences are held wherever a Proz.com member volunteers to organize one.

I believe this was the case until the Budapest conference, which you organised so successfully. However, there is now a staff member in charge of organising conferences, so does this still apply?
snip...

Even with Rebekka on board it wouldn't be viable without local volunteers.
Now she had to quit due to health issues, so the situation is exactly as it was before.

the highest concentration of Proz.com members is in Europe: an estimated 70% of all members are from the "old continent", and distances are also easier to cover.

True, but then how do you explain the relatively low turnout at the recent regional conferences in France and Germany, compared to previous ones?

Best regards,
Niraja

To which previuos ones do you compare Germany this year? Dortmund had 73 participants (as the registration does not include external speaker, of whom we had 4 - the highest number ever!). Berlin was slightly bigger with 91, but you also should notice, that Berlin has happend in spring during a long weekend in Germany (Thursday was then holiday here) and Dortmund was simply during a weekend in December. France worked very well with 72 participants and even Canada with "only" 52 people was nice. Only Edinburgh as a local conference was able to gather nearly 150 people. Of course the location plays a big role - but taken all cirtumstances I'm very satisfied with the conference in Dortmund.
Other conferences (Oxford, Cracow, Buenos Aires and Budapest) were international - so you should not compare them with all those mentioned local events.

In my personal opinion a small conference (ie as in France or Germany this year) is just perfect for the local community, so that's I suggested to organize a conference in Germany on a yearly basis.

So if you wish a conference in your country, you will have to take up the reins and organize one. You cannot expect ProZ to do that for you. ProZ is just the platform, which gives US - MEMBERS - the possibilites and tools to do that.

Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-12-05 15:27]

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Niraja Dec 5, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

The idea behind regional conferences is precisely to focus on smaller language communities, whereby the language involved in the region has the limelight. The problem with international conferences was that this kind of focus was not possible.

biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:48
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
Europe Dec 5, 2007

Im voting Europe in general and Italy in particular.:) The world is full of beautiful places and organizers should only chose one at a time and thus those who go to the event can discover the place where its held or visit it again if they know it already. IMHO.

Elvana Moore  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
English to Albanian
+ ...
Vote UK Dec 5, 2007

I think UK could be a good place to organize an international conference as it has very good routes of communications and a large translator community (from I see on the web page). Anybody out there casting a vote for UK? Bristol, Bath...

arterm  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:48
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Egypt sounds very nice and feasible Dec 5, 2007

Sharm El Sheikh is easily reacheable even from UK and is a good place
No visas needed
Cheap stuff etc
Unfortunately I am not there to organize a conference

Alp Berker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:48
Turkish to English
+ ...
USA Dec 5, 2007

There hasn't been one in the USA for awhile and it's cheap for vistors right now. With the Euro being strong, visitor's money will go further.
There are many locations in the US that can do this.

sandhya  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Proz conferences bring translators together Dec 5, 2007

Hi,

While I agree with some members that a conference in Europe or out West is likely to see more attendees, I think a conference (call it regional or international) in other parts of the world would be most welcome too!

I attended the Budapest conference and I think a Proz conference is a platform that brings us translators scattered across the globe together. A lot of translators work in isolation and hide in their little "pigeonholes" and I personally believe a Proz conference can bring them out and encourage them to circulate better and learn and grow!

I think a conference in the Eastern world is long overdue! When in Budapest, I had spoken to Henry and Rebekka about it.... and yes, I will take it up again.

So, if this works out, hope to see many of you in our parts of the world

cheers
Sandhya

[Edited at 2007-12-05 22:15]

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:48
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mexico Dec 5, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

Some of my preferred locations would be:

North America:
United States

Best regards,
Niraja

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico

Mexico is in North America. Anyway, I like this option.

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 08:48
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mexico, too! Dec 6, 2007

I would certainly vote for Mexico.

Climate and season should come into the equation. Italy in the cooler part of the year, or Scandinavia in the summer--either choice would overcome a lot of my reluctance to spend the time and money on travel.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where would you like to have the next conference?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs