Mobile menu

Product order: I am in doubt
Thread poster: Steffen Pollex
Steffen Pollex  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
Mar 7, 2003

\"Note that your acceptance of this assignment signifies your acceptance of the terms and conditions of

XXX, including but not limited to the requirement of your delivering high

quality results according to the agreed due date.

After you have delivered your work, please mail an original invoice (not a fax copy), together with a copy of

this PO to the attention of Mr. XXX (owner) of YYY. Your invoice must reference all relevant information noted in the Translator and Project Details sections below.

Invoicing note: if the Actual Total Cost exceeds the Projected Total Cost (different methods of evaluation:

price of the translation per line, per word or per page), this cost increase must be pre-approved by Mr. XXX and explained on your invoice. If the translation is not responding to high-quality standard

(layouting, formatting, bad quality, delay in delivery) a penalty fee will be applied that will be calculated

on and deducted from the rate that was agreed between the translator (the supplier) and YYY (the company) of a percentage that depends on the actual matching of the above-stated criteria.\"

I am somewhat suspicious about \"high quality\" (who decides this?) and the \"penalty\", seemingly, at the sole discretion of the outsourcer. And how would I manage to \"mail an original invoice\"?!

Any comments highly appreciated.

Thank you all

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Always the same problem... Mar 7, 2003

Last week I got back a translation I had done 2 weeks before. A simple text with no special difficulty. The final customer had had it \'edited\' by someone, a Spanish native, they insisted (as if I were Chinese myself).

The Spanish native turned out to be a tourist guide that had lived in France for a great many years and who didn\'t even know his grammar. As for his vocabulary, he wanted me to tarnslate \'buey/boeuf/beef\' for \'vaca/vache/cow\' in such a typical dish as \"Boeuf bourguignon\" among other things.

Fortunately I managed to convince more or less everybody that my Spanish was not so bad after all, since it respected what dictionaries and grammar books say. But sometimes it is not so easy and I understand Steffen\'s suspicion. A bad intentioned person could use the argument of bad quality to lower price or avoid payment.

Today I saw the opposite case... I was asked to edit a text of a really poor quality. The register was not appropriate (written as you would to a friend, when the text was to be published in a serious journal) and a few important words had been badly translated... But I don\'t know if a clause is necessary in such cases.

As for the original invoice I think they mean one you print and send by snail mail.

Good luck!

Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
English to German
+ ...
Only on the mail subject ... Mar 7, 2003

they obviously mean the \"old-fashioned\" mail. In Germany a lot of times they insist on an original signature on an invoice. I mail (snail-mail) most of my invoices just to be sure.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Snail mail Mar 8, 2003

Patricia is right and they mean snail mail (with a stamp).

Many tax authorities will not accept invoices received by e-mail because, in theory, people can change things on it.

Although you are right in being suspicious about the quality standard, I really think they are just trying to cover themselves. The agency has probably had a bad experience in the past (like Patricia describes) and wants to ensure they are not left holding the baby again. Of course, this is the best possible scenario. The worst would be that they are looking for a way out in relation to paying you.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
the agency text is a mess Mar 8, 2003

1) mistakes in your agency\'English:

\"If the translation [does not meet the standards of high-quality] (this is bad Englishis not responding to high-quality standard

(layouting [lay-out, not ING], formatting, bad quality [good quality otherwise the text means that bad quality is OK!!], delay in delivery) a penalty fee will be applied [out:that will be] calculated

[based on] and deducted from the rate that was agreed [upon] between the translator (the supplier) and YYY (the company) of a percentage that depends on the actual matching of the above-stated criteria.\"

2) I think they need to better define their criteria and use good English

3) The text should say somthing like the translator states in good faith that the translation is a true and faithful copy of the original. Something like that.

4) and that he/she has followed the format, lay-out and delivery schedule criteria.

5) maybe you could rewrite it and submit it to them/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Product order: I am in doubt

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs