Mobile menu

Thank you, ProZ.com! A testimonial, if you will...
Thread poster: Maciek Drobka

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:55
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Dec 31, 2007

I do not very often thank people, let alone places/businesses, for what they've done for me. A bad trait of character, agree. However, this time I feel I have to.

With 2007 mercilessly coming to a close, I wish to thank all the ProZ staff and members for creating, maintaining, and developing this place. For making ProZ the place it is.

Let me focus on business, as this is what I am really on about. I would like to thank ProZ for the access it gave me to the international translation jobs market. And for the KudoZ system, without which the access just mentioned would have remained a potentiality rather than turned into everyday reality.

After my mass-emailing campaign directed towards translation agencied fell tragically short of expectations in early 2007, I decided to subscribe to KudoZ notifications for all questions in the English to Polish and Polish to English language pairs.

Thus I became a point grabber. To some, a mindless semi-automated creature who's best at pasting the first three links that Google spits out. Arguing with this point of view would be off-topic here, and besides, I don't much care what non-point grabbers think of me. As long as clients come back because they like the quality I provide, I am fine. And come back they do.

Clients then. If somebody had told me a year ago where I would be now business-wise, I wouldn't have believed a word. Yet, much as I hate overstatement, I must say ProZ and KudoZ have changed my business life tremendously.

Thanks to ProZ and KudoZ, I now have so much work from international clients I can barely handle it. And when I say work, I also mean all the benefits that it brings in the conext of 'international clients'.

Frankly, ProZ means mainly KudoZ to me. I know ProZ is predominantly about community to some people here. But the thing I like about places like ProZ is that they are what you make of them. So unless some sort of 'community quotas' are introduced, I will feel at home here. Though I must admit I have met some great people on ProZ. And wish I had been able to attend some of the powwows last year...

I am sorry if it is a little chaotic, but if it is, here's my point clear again:

THANK YOU, PROZ.COM!

And all the best for 2008 to all the members and staff. Keep up the good work, everybody!

Maciek

[Edited at 2007-12-31 13:29]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 13:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you, Maciek... Dec 31, 2007

Maciek Drobka wrote:
.......I wish to thank all the ProZ staff and members for creating, maintaining, and developing this place. For making ProZ the place it is. ............. THANK YOU, PROZ.COM! And all the best for 2008 to all the members and staff. Keep up the good work, everybody!

Maciek

[Edited at 2007-12-31 13:29]

....for expressing what I also want to say.

May all the good wishes translate into realities every single day of 2008!

Warmest greetingZ from Bolivia,

Rocío Barrientos

Suzette Martin-Johnson
Canada
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Ditto Dec 31, 2007

I agree with you both. I knew I had translation skills based partly on training, and on in-house experience. However, coughing up $80 for ProZ membership this year, and renewing for 2008, was the best decision I could have made for confidence as a freelancer! I now literally have to turn away business and can live fully off freelancing witout worrying about needing a "solid job". All thanks to contacts made through this site.

Vadim Poguliaev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:55
English to Russian
+1 Dec 31, 2007

subj
=]

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:55
SITE FOUNDER
Good point, Maciek! Dec 31, 2007

Maciek Drobka wrote:
... the thing I like about places like ProZ is that they are what you make of them.

You are exactly right in this statement. I am glad you are finding the site useful and promise you that we will keep more coming in 2008!

Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
You said it, Maciek. Dec 31, 2007

I agree Kudoz is a very good tool for learning and sharing knowledge. But there's more. In a way, I feel a strange kind of "coziness" whenever someone I do not even know pops up and offers to help.
May you all enjoy good health, good work, good moments to share throughout the new year.

Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 20:55
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
Thanks, Proz.com, moderators and dear members... Jan 1, 2008

I appreciate your help and MAY 2008 BRING YOU ONLY THE BEST THAT LIFE CAN OFFER!
Thanks again...

elzbieta jatowt  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:55
Member (2007)
French to Polish
+ ...
THANK YOU Jan 2, 2008

I'm exeptionally new at this domaine but I can appreciate a lot of work delivred by the staff and the members. I'm learning with a great velocity.
For everybody all the best for this New Year. And again, thank

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
KudoZ are there to stay! Jan 2, 2008

Indeed, Maciek. You are right. This was a wonderful invention - and a very cooperative feature. Can you imagine a man who starts from zero, not knowing anybody in person from the language industry... and in just 2 years manages to have his own clients and a fruitful worklife, thanks to KudoZ? Then you are reading a very abridged version of part of my own story here at ProZ

Afterwards life changed - I was lucky to start attending events, meeting persons, establishing new relationships... I know personally two persons (and a third with whom we use to exchange emails) who have posted on this very thread

It would be unending to tell how far this has gone. So, in order not to annoy I will recommend you: don't lose your good humor, go on, and take the chance to attend powwows. Or organize them! It's not so difficult... and maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise with the attendance. Powwows can even be international (as for me: I organized 4 powwows and apart from many Uruguayans, in every single event there was at least one person from Argentina and another from a third country). Sorry if this paragraph is a bit off-topic, but... it illustrates HOW far KudoZ can bring you: you start answering simple questions online for free (questions somebody posted very far away)... and finish organizing truly international events, face to face with people!

Best luck and a wonderful 2008.

Fabio from Montevideo

[Edited at 2008-01-02 08:55]

xxxjacana54  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
very well put by Maciek Jan 2, 2008

Thank you for all the help I have received, and for the delightful people I have met and who keep me company while I work.

May we all work to keep the spirit of this experience in collaboration.

Best wishes,

Lucía

xxxwonita
China
My testimony Jan 2, 2008

Proz is the most important platform in globalizing the translation business;
globalization makes the world fairer.

Well done!

Bin

[Edited at 2008-01-02 18:14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thank you, ProZ.com! A testimonial, if you will...

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs