Mobile menu

What is a reasonable limit to questions?
Thread poster: Giusi Pasi

Giusi Pasi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:17
Member (2003)
Italian
+ ...
Mar 16, 2003

Hi everyone,

I would know your opinion about what you consider a right use of this site when asking. In Latin>English area, an unnokwn moderator, who isn\'t the official moderator of that area and also a never-seen person, decided that 3 questions by an asker were too much. He squashed on his own decision all the 3 answers (made by me and with the general consent by other Prozians). I doubt it was on a good faith by this person, anyway (I don\' care about it), I wonder whether only 3 consecutive questions are to be supposed offensive to all of us.

Sincerely, I think that 3 questions aren\'t enough to post a job and that other things are to be considered worse through the site.

Bye,

Giusi

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact the moderator Mar 16, 2003

Hi Giusi,

I\'m not sure which questions you\'re referring to, since only one out of six squashed questions over the last few days was posted by yourself.

I note that the majority of the other questions referred to whole phrases instead of terms (cf. the KudoZ Rules of Etiquette), which may have been a reason to squash.

Since there isn\'t currently a moderator for Latin>English, I suggest to contact the moderator for English>Latin, to look into it.

Best regards, Ralf

Italy
Member (2003)
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your message, Ralf... Mar 16, 2003

....but my consideration doesn\'t really concern a Kudoz matter, indeed a general topic about the etiquette of this site. I was referring to the sentences (3 in all, dated 14 March, with this reply by the squasher: \"Reason: Is part of a series from a single document. A series of questions should not be used to obtain a free translation.\") which were squashed by a non moderator, because he decided that it was to do so. Furthermore, he is also a non-active Prozian, so I was a bit \'surprised\' by such an action performed by someone, who doesn\'t join so much Proz world (or who is invisible through the site).

Then, my consideration is: does someone trample on Proz rules of etiquette when asking for 3 short sentences instead of terms?

Anyway, I\'m not surely troubled by all that I\'m describing, I\'d like only to read someone\'s opinions.

My personal considerations are stopping now.

P.S. yesterday I squashed an old question Latin>English with a wrong translation, because it isn\'t convenient to find such things in the glossaries. Anyway, the answerer himself recognized it publicly at the moment. That was a fair play!

Bye,

Giusi

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Terms, not sentences Mar 16, 2003

Thanks for clarifying your query.

There is no general limit on the number of questions any user can ask. This issue has been discussed many times, both in the forums (the most recent thread being www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=8794&forum_id=48) and on the moderators\' lists. Most active communities (I admit I wouldn\'t necessarily count LAT>ENG as one of them...) have developed some sort of informal consensus as to how many questions in a series are acceptable.

Things are somewhat different as far as asking entire phrases or sentences is concerned. The KudoZ Rules of Etiquette (see www.proz.com/inc/item/inc_item_kudoz_etiquette.php3 clearly state:

Quote:
The KudoZ system is to be used for terms help only.

The reason why some members may be offended by a series of phrases posted is quite simple, actually: people have tried getting a free translation simply by posting one sentence after another. If you have a larger series of terms, even some sentences, it\'s usually a good idea to explain the background when starting to post.

I hope that clarified a few things; as I said, if you believe these questions were squashed unduly, please contact the moderator (for the reverse pair, in this special case).

Best, Ralf

Italy
Member (2003)
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok, Ralf... Mar 16, 2003

Your reply is clear about rules. Next time I\'ll avoid losing my time in answering morer than 1 sentence by the same person in that area. It is curious that this rule seems to apply only to that area... (see other language combinations...). I\'m sorry for that poor person who will find in troubles with Latin. People who know this language know that you can\'t say nothing specific without a large context. Anyway, no problem (for me). I don\'t care at all.

Bye

Serge L
French to Dutch
+ ...
Could have been an entire document Mar 16, 2003

I saw the questions and decided not to answer because it looked as if we were going to get the translation of a complete diploma...

Recently, somebody posted the same sentences in Lat > German, Lat > Russian and Lat > English, so it was clear that the asker was trying to get a translation for free...

Here\'s one of these questions:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=348752

And this was the opinion of the Eng > Lat moderator:

\"This is a job...

A Latin Diploma may cost up to 30$, not certainly 4 Kudoz points.. please post a job in the job section.

Flavio Ferri Benedetti (Eng>Lat mod)\"

All we\'re trying (and maybe the squasher was aware of this), is to avoid such free rides... and maybe the best solution is to start squashing after 3 questions...

My 2 cents,

Serge L.

Italy
Member (2003)
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree, Serge... Mar 16, 2003

\"and maybe the best solution is to start squashing after 3 questions\".

Right! AFTER 3 questions, not BEFORE. That was the point. Eventually, I\'d have nothing to object in case of an attentive squashing by a reliable colleague or moderator.

Night,

Giusi

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Squash threshold: 3 questions. Is that a new rule? Mar 17, 2003

Hi Giusi,

IMO if moderators were to squash an asker\'s questions starting from the fourth on a same day, I guess they should forget about working and become official squashers...

If I\'m not wrong, moderators can also unsquash questions, so if I was in you I\'d contact a moderator of your language pairs.

Just an idea

HTH

Antonella

Italy
Member (2003)
Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good suggestion, Antonella Mar 17, 2003

Hi,

unfortunately there isn\'t any moderator appointed to that language combination. All those considerations of mine referred to a strange \"bursting\" of a person (never seen!), who applied \"his\" own rule. The proper moderator (of a similar area, to be contacted in these cases) was never advised about that. Actually, I wondered what was happening, since all the other Prozians (regularly used to Latin questions) in agreeing with my answers were implicitly ready to answer, too. They had nothing against the asker. Proz rules were known by all of us, of course.

Proz is sometimes a \"funny\" world...

Giusi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a reasonable limit to questions?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs