Separate fields for comments and bids for job offers
Thread poster: Dyran Altenburg
Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 20, 2003

It seems Mats Wiman has already proposed this directly to Henry, but as a user of the site, I would like to make the suggestion here too.

That way, we will all know for sure whether those who answer the job postings are actually bidding or not.

Also, I propose changing the word \"bid\" for \"quote\".

[ This Message was edited by: Dyran on 2003-03-20 17:17]

Direct link Reply with quote

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:19
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Quoting not bidding Mar 20, 2003

I agree with this wording. I much prefer \'quoting\' to \'bidding\'.

As regard to the possibility of attaching a \'comment\' to a job offer, and to display/count them not as offers but separately, well... I\'m not so sure...

I know that many job offers are outragious and some ProZ members have the habit of sending their offer, disregarding the rate offered. I like this approach.

Others are less than polite in their answers and just post abusive words addressed to the outsourcers. That\'s bad!

I don\'t see the point of having this habit formalized, next move will be a space for the outsourcers to answer, and each job posting will become a mini-forum.

What\'s the point?

Just ignore the jobs that do not interest you, or post \'your\' offer quoting an acceptable rate, perhaps accompanied by a short statement describing the reasons that compel you to ignore the rate offered.

Gianfranco

Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:19
German to Italian
+ ...
Additional info? Mar 20, 2003

The feature could be useful to ask for additional info when job posters forget to give them.

It happens, e.g. email address when they ask for bids to be emailed directly to them and not through Proz, or in other cases.

It must not necessarily be seen as a way to post bad comments to job postings.

Antonella

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just for clarity Mar 20, 2003

On 2003-03-20 07:32, gianfranco wrote:
I don't see the point of having this habit formalized

The point would be to know how many people are bidding even at outrageously low rates (bid) and how many are sending a more reasonable quote (comment).

Every time someone complains about jobs posted here, he or she is told that those who have answered sent their own higher rates. Frankly, I doubt this is always the case.

What outsourcers see is that a fair amount of people *do* bid, no matter what.

Another option could be to show only the number of real bids (not the ones for comments or higher rates).

That would give us all a better idea of what is going on in the bidding process.

[Edited at 2003-06-17 13:03]

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:19
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

You must tell outsources what you believe in!!!! Mar 20, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-20 07:32, gianfranco wrote:

As regard to the possibility of attaching a \'comment\' to a job offer, and to display/count them not as offers but separately, well... I\'m not so sure...

I know that many job offers are outragious and some ProZ members have the habit of sending their offer, disregarding the rate offered. I like this approach.

Others are less than polite in their answers and just post abusive words addressed to the outsourcers. That\'s bad!

I don\'t see the point of having this habit formalized, next move will be a space for the outsourcers to answer, and each job posting will become a mini-forum.

What\'s the point?

Just ignore the jobs that do not interest you, or post \'your\' offer quoting an acceptable rate, perhaps accompanied by a short statement describing the reasons that compel you to ignore the rate offered.

Gianfranco

Dear GF

Misconception: No attachment!!

I do not believe that we could steer the market but we should make our posistion as professionals known.

Thus we need the possibility to JUST COMMENT (not attach a comment to a bid). I think it will have a certain impact if a 0.03 outsourcers gets the following statistics:

Bids: 2 Comments: 18

I have started by sending private eMails with the following text:

\"With your offered rate, you could just as well use machine translation. It\'s faster and cheaper.\"

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: MatsWiman@swipnet.se

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Rishi Miranhshah  Identity Verified
English to Panjabi
+ ...
All for Mats Mar 20, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-20 19:00, MatsWiman wrote:

Dear GF

Misconception: No attachment!!

I do not believe that we could steer the market but we should make our posistion as professionals known.

Thus we need the possibility to JUST COMMENT (not attach a comment to a bid). I think it will have a certain impact if a 0.03 outsourcers gets the following statistics:

Bids: 2 Comments: 18

I have started by sending private eMails with the following text:

\"With your offered rate, you could just as well use machine translation. It\'s faster and cheaper.\"

Best regards

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail: MatsWiman@swipnet.se

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

I think Mats\' suggestion makes so much of sense. And the comments should (obviously) be made public unlike bids (changed to \"quotes\").

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Separate fields for comments and bids for job offers

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs