https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom%3A_translator_coop/9860-http%3A_wwwprozcom_jobid%3D34275.html

http://www.proz.com/job?id=34275
Thread poster: Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:27
English to German
+ ...
Mar 31, 2003

seems suspicious to me: many typos, bad grammar and a mailbox that doesn\'t accept mails anymore. Beware.

Steffen

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
I think it is suspicious too Mar 31, 2003

When you visit the web site, the system tries to download stuff to your computer (of the exe type!)

Beware!

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Hehe... Mar 31, 2003

With a yahoo email and a free hosting web account, what kind of serious agency did you expect?

I\'m still wondering why ProZ keeps accepting jobs posted with free email accounts and empty profiles...

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
ProZ should be on guard against this kind of messages Mar 31, 2003

The website has no contents, just ads and invasive spam.

ProZ should be on guard against this kind of attempts, or soon will be inundated by \"selfmarketers\" and \"moneymakers\" like this one.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact a moderator Mar 31, 2003

Hi all.

May I point out a few things from a moderator\'s point of view:

The first thing you should do if you notice a job posting that is suspicious is to contact a moderator (either someone covering the language pair(s) involved, or one of the coordinators identified on the moderators\' list). ProZ.com is \"on guard\" against such attempts, but please bear in mind that all moderators are volunteers, running their own businesses. Instead of posting a warnin
... See more
Hi all.

The first thing you should do if you notice a job posting that is suspicious is to contact a moderator (either someone covering the language pair(s) involved, or one of the coordinators identified on the moderators\' list). ProZ.com is \"on guard\" against such attempts, but please bear in mind that all moderators are volunteers, running their own businesses. Instead of posting a warning that requires other members to read the forum thread, contacting a moderator will ensure that anything that turns out to be suspicious, or against site rules, is closed.

As it happens, I was contacted by a German colleague in this respect - he also had the suspicion that something wasn\'t right, but unfortunately no evidence. (You will certainly appreciate that we cannot simply go out and \"kill\" jobs just because they look suspicious.) Linguistic errors in the posting, or even spam in a website that is to be translated (at least according to the job description) isn\'t sufficient, I\'m afraid. A bouncing e-mail address is - Steffen, I would have appreciated if you had simply forwarded the bounced message to me (or any other moderator); this would have saved the time it takes for me to verify this.

Finally, as far as the requirements for job postings are concerned: we\'re currently reviewing this section. In doing so, we actively consider constructive suggestions posted on the site.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Chiara Santoriello
Chiara Santoriello  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
bounced e-mail Mar 31, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-31 13:12, Lemster wrote:

Hi all.

The first thing you should do if you notice a job posting that is suspicious is to contact a moderator (either someone covering the language pair(s) involved, or one of the coordinators identified on the moderators\' list). ProZ.com is \"on guard\" against such attempts, but please... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-31 13:12, Lemster wrote:

Hi all.

The first thing you should do if you notice a job posting that is suspicious is to contact a moderator (either someone covering the language pair(s) involved, or one of the coordinators identified on the moderators\' list). ProZ.com is \"on guard\" against such attempts, but please bear in mind that all moderators are volunteers, running their own businesses. Instead of posting a warning that requires other members to read the forum thread, contacting a moderator will ensure that anything that turns out to be suspicious, or against site rules, is closed.

As it happens, I was contacted by a German colleague in this respect - he also had the suspicion that something wasn\'t right, but unfortunately no evidence. (You will certainly appreciate that we cannot simply go out and \"kill\" jobs just because they look suspicious.) Linguistic errors in the posting, or even spam in a website that is to be translated (at least according to the job description) isn\'t sufficient, I\'m afraid. A bouncing e-mail address is - Steffen, I would have appreciated if you had simply forwarded the bounced message to me (or any other moderator); this would have saved the time it takes for me to verify this.

Finally, as far as the requirements for job postings are concerned: we\'re currently reviewing this section. In doing so, we actively consider constructive suggestions posted on the site.

Best regards, Ralf

Hi Ralph,

as I sent two e-mails for this job and both bounced, in order to help other members, I\'ll send to your e-mail address these messages.

Chiara ▲ Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:27
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
no clicks, no downloads Mar 31, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-03-31 12:26, Marijke wrote:

When you visit the web site, the system tries to download stuff to your computer (of the exe type!)

- unquote -

Hi,

I checked the site, but \"nothing\" tried to upload anything to my PC, therefore I presume you clicked on a link, what I haven\'t tried at all.

Giuliana

[addsig]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Posting closed Mar 31, 2003

Thanks, Chiara,

Quote:

Hi Ralph,

as I sent two e-mails for this job and both bounced, in order to help other members, I\'ll send to your e-mail address these messages.

I have closed the posting, given that the outsourcer could not be contacted under the address provided.

Best regards, Ralf

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Still open for English -> Italian Mar 31, 2003

http://www.proz.com/?sp=j&id=34274

I don\'t know who the moderators are for these languages.

If fact, could we have a link on the same page as job postings, like in KudoZ?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just a click away... Mar 31, 2003

Quote:

Not too difficult to find out:

www.proz.com/?sp=mod/list

...or just click on the link given on the left...

PS I\'ll drop Gianfranco a line...

PPS That job\'s been cl... See more
Quote:

Not too difficult to find out:

www.proz.com/?sp=mod/list

...or just click on the link given on the left...

PS I\'ll drop Gianfranco a line...

PPS That job\'s been closed, too.

[ This Message was edited by: Lemster on 2003-03-31 16:35]

[ This Message was edited by: Lemster on 2003-03-31 16:35] ▲ Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
Member (2004)
English to Italian
just about time... Mar 31, 2003

>Finally, as far as the requirements for job >postings are concerned: we\'re currently >reviewing this section. In doing so, we >actively consider constructive suggestions >posted on the site.

Just get back to the outsourcer in order to verify that the post is serious and that this person really exists. If you checked that in the first place, we wouldn\'t be having this conversation, with lots of people wasting time chasing non existing jobs. It\'s very simple and we have r
... See more
>Finally, as far as the requirements for job >postings are concerned: we\'re currently >reviewing this section. In doing so, we >actively consider constructive suggestions >posted on the site.

Just get back to the outsourcer in order to verify that the post is serious and that this person really exists. If you checked that in the first place, we wouldn\'t be having this conversation, with lots of people wasting time chasing non existing jobs. It\'s very simple and we have requested this simple procedure for donkey\'s years. Proz paying members are surely intitled to a minimum of protection.

Giovanni

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

http://www.proz.com/job?id=34275

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »