Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
New feature: File upload and storage (for TMs, glossaries, etc.)
Thread poster: Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
Local time: 02:34
Jun 5, 2008

A new feature has been released to assist in the handling of translation memories, glossaries and other files. This feature provides a way to quickly and securely upload and save a number of files for your own personal use (others will not have access to these files).

Later, the ability to selectively grant access to the files to others will be added.

To upload your "TMs and terms", visit the files management page, or use the "My Files" link in the "My ProZ" menu. The
... See more
A new feature has been released to assist in the handling of translation memories, glossaries and other files. This feature provides a way to quickly and securely upload and save a number of files for your own personal use (others will not have access to these files).

Later, the ability to selectively grant access to the files to others will be added.

To upload your "TMs and terms", visit the files management page, or use the "My Files" link in the "My ProZ" menu. The size limit for TMs and terms files is 10Mb (20Mb for Corporate Members).

Please let me know in this forum thread if you have any questions, concerns, or feature requests.

Best Regards,

Ricardo D. Vella
ProZ.com Staff Developer
Collapse

marina hennies
marina hennies  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Upload and storage of glossaries Jun 7, 2008

How can I upload and store glossaries?

Thanks and regards,

Marina

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 08:34
English to Greek
+ ...
small limit Jun 7, 2008

It is definitely a positive development that Proz is offering new things to its members. However, I can't help pointing out that the limit of 10MB of upload is just the same as that of most email programmes. In my opinion, it is exactly for files (considerably) larger than 10 MB that someone might need to consider using something different than his/ her personal email. Therefore, I can't see anything radical or particularly useful here.

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
File Size Limit and how to upload and storage glossaries Jun 7, 2008

Hello Marina and Eleni!

Thank you very much for getting interested in this new feature.

Marina, you can go to the "My ProZ" tab that is located on the top of the page and then when the menu appears you can click on the "My Files" option, you will see a tab named "TMs & terms", click there to go to the upload section. Please Click here to access this new feature, you will see two fo
... See more
Hello Marina and Eleni!

Thank you very much for getting interested in this new feature.

Marina, you can go to the "My ProZ" tab that is located on the top of the page and then when the menu appears you can click on the "My Files" option, you will see a tab named "TMs & terms", click there to go to the upload section. Please Click here to access this new feature, you will see two forms (one for uploading glossaries, the other for uploading TMs): click on the browse button, select the file to upload and then accept it, then the uploader will show you the size of the file and will show a new button named:"upload", clicking on it will upload the file and it will show a progress indicator.
Please let me know if i can help you with this

Eleni, thank you very much for you feedback, i appreciate it... What is the typical size of a TMs or a Glossaries file? knowing this I can manage to put a higher limit for this

I will be very happy to know any other improvements on this, so please let me know...

Regards,

Ricardo
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TM size Jun 7, 2008

Ricardo Daniel wrote:

Eleni, thank you very much for you feedback, i appreciate it... What is the typical size of a TMs or a Glossaries file? knowing this I can manage to put a higher limit for this

I will be very happy to know any other improvements on this, so please let me know...

Regards,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo!

I don´t know what is the "typical" size of a TM, but I´ve got a couple of TMs (project specific) which are 50 and 60 MB (txt format). That´s the kind of TM this feature is useful for. A 10 MB TM can be zipped and shared by e-mail.

Regards,
Marina

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
TM size Jun 7, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:

Ricardo Daniel wrote:

Regards,

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo!

I don´t know what is the "typical" size of a TM, but I´ve got a couple of TMs (project specific) which are 50 and 60 MB (txt format). That´s the kind of TM this feature is useful for. A 10 MB TM can be zipped and shared by e-mail.

Regards,
Marina

Hello Marina!

Thank you for your post, i will take care of this on Monday and we will improve the file size limit to be more usefull.

Regards,
Ricardo

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:34
English to French
+ ...
Possible Access to TM when away from home or own computer? Jun 10, 2008

Hello Ricardo,

I wonder whether you can confirm that such a feature would be of help to me when travellling, stuck in an internet café, with just my memory stick (and not the required memory in it).
Could I then, somehow copy or download the required TMs from Proz on my memory stick and so , not be stuck any longer?

It seems too good to be true (because I have often found myself in such a situation).

Awaiting your reply on this.

Thank yo
... See more
Hello Ricardo,

I wonder whether you can confirm that such a feature would be of help to me when travellling, stuck in an internet café, with just my memory stick (and not the required memory in it).
Could I then, somehow copy or download the required TMs from Proz on my memory stick and so , not be stuck any longer?

It seems too good to be true (because I have often found myself in such a situation).

Awaiting your reply on this.

Thank you.

Claudette
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:34
SITE FOUNDER
Right, Claudette Jun 10, 2008

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

Yes, this is one of the uses imagined: you would upload the file to your file storage area and ProZ.com, and then be able to access it from elsewhere on the Internet. For files below the size limit, then, you would not necessarily need to carry around the memory stick.

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
File upload size Limit Jun 10, 2008

I'm glad to let you know that now the file upload size limit is 60MB for Professional members and 100MB for Corporate members...

With this limit will now be possible to store this kind of big files.

Uploading this big files needs a considerable amount of time, but there is a progress indicator to show the current status of the upload.

Please let me know if there are any doubts

Regards,
Ricardo

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Jun 10, 2008

Ricardo Daniel wrote:

I'm glad to let you know that now the file upload size limit is 60MB for Professional members and 100MB for Corporate members...

Regards,
Ricardo

Thanks Ricardo, this is a very useful size. Let us know when the sharing capability is available.

Thanks!
Marina

[Edited at 2008-06-10 21:57]

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Improvements on the new upload and storage feature Jun 12, 2008

I have been working on a new way of adding languages for each of the files that are uploaded (TMs and Glossaries).

This improvement will allow to add languages for each file so each file can have associated languages, so for example an uploaded glossary file can have "Spanish", "English" and "French" as languages. In this case we are adding the languages for a trilingual glossary file.
Translation memories will have this improvement too.

The new improvement wil
... See more
I have been working on a new way of adding languages for each of the files that are uploaded (TMs and Glossaries).

This improvement will allow to add languages for each file so each file can have associated languages, so for example an uploaded glossary file can have "Spanish", "English" and "French" as languages. In this case we are adding the languages for a trilingual glossary file.
Translation memories will have this improvement too.

The new improvement will be very easy and quick to use. Just click on an "Edit" link and the add the languages, and submit them without reloading the page.

The idea is to allow us to be able to search our language resources
We are also thinking about giving a way to specify a subject area or other types of fields.

I would really appreciate any feedback you might have, so that we can
continue to improve our tools to meet your needs.

regards,

Ricardo
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another question Jun 12, 2008

Hi Ricardo,

I`ve got another question: Which is the storage space assigned to each member? I mean, how many 60MB TMs can we upload?

Thank you!
Marina

Ricardo Vella
Ricardo Vella
Argentina
TOPIC STARTER
Number of Files to Upload Jun 12, 2008

Hello Marina!

You can upload all the TMs and Glossaries that you want, there is no limit. The only limit is the file size.

What do you think about adding languages for each file? This will be usefull? i think that this will help to improve this section...

please let me know what you think....

Regards,
Ricardo

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi! Jun 12, 2008

Ricardo Daniel wrote:

Hello Marina!

What do you think about adding languages for each file? This will be usefull? i think that this will help to improve this section...

please let me know what you think....

Regards,
Ricardo

It may be a good idea. But, as I only work in the EN>ES combination, all my TMs and glossaries are in those languages. I think that instead of having a field for languages only it would be better to have some sort of descriptive field where we can enter not only the language but the subject matter of the glossary or TM. Just an idea!

Regards,
Marina

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 09:34
Member (2022)
Italian to English
Size Jun 12, 2008

Hi Riccardo,
I write my own TM software and have Word macros linked to mysql. After 3 years of feeding all my translation work into this I have a hundred thousand pairs of sentences. This gives me an index file of 40 meg and a data file of 40 meg, to give a total of 80 meg. Obviously when I travel I use a laptop and take a copy with me. What I would be interested in is sharing, exchanging with other selected translators, but also charging others, including my clients to access rather t
... See more
Hi Riccardo,
I write my own TM software and have Word macros linked to mysql. After 3 years of feeding all my translation work into this I have a hundred thousand pairs of sentences. This gives me an index file of 40 meg and a data file of 40 meg, to give a total of 80 meg. Obviously when I travel I use a laptop and take a copy with me. What I would be interested in is sharing, exchanging with other selected translators, but also charging others, including my clients to access rather than use mine. All I would need would be path name. Security would be a key factor.
Jim

[Edited at 2008-06-12 13:39]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New feature: File upload and storage (for TMs, glossaries, etc.)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »