Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 05:20
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 5, 2003

On ProZ we often face the lists of language to choose from. I found the set of languages in different cases is not the same.

For instance, I can choose Greek (Ancient) or Greek (Modern) as a language of interest through my profile settings, but in kudoZ lists there is just "Greek" without the division.

Another example: I can ask a kudoZ question to Sanskrit->English pair, but not vice versa. Still I am able to Edit a question in Other->English -- and to move it to Sansk
... See more
On ProZ we often face the lists of language to choose from. I found the set of languages in different cases is not the same.

For instance, I can choose Greek (Ancient) or Greek (Modern) as a language of interest through my profile settings, but in kudoZ lists there is just "Greek" without the division.

Another example: I can ask a kudoZ question to Sanskrit->English pair, but not vice versa. Still I am able to Edit a question in Other->English -- and to move it to Sanskrit->English pair.

In other words, the language lists throughout the site are not consistent. It's a minor problem, of course, but sometimes it is a problem.
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:20
Georgian to English
+ ...
It's something that does matter...... Sep 10, 2003

even so, and it would be good to fix it when more pressing things have been completed. Some progress has been made, in that Georgian & Armenian were recently added to the list for Kudoz questions in their own right (for which I and others are very grateful). I hope the points you raise can be fixed sometime.
I guess the best advice in the meantime re. visability of the dreaded "other==other" questions is to add the language as a tag, as part of the term to be translated, or in the "optiona
... See more
even so, and it would be good to fix it when more pressing things have been completed. Some progress has been made, in that Georgian & Armenian were recently added to the list for Kudoz questions in their own right (for which I and others are very grateful). I hope the points you raise can be fixed sometime.
I guess the best advice in the meantime re. visability of the dreaded "other==other" questions is to add the language as a tag, as part of the term to be translated, or in the "optional, discipline" section - so it isn't just lost mixed in with all the other "others". Not ideal, I know....

All Best wishes
Giuli
Kirill Semenov wrote:

Another example: I can ask a kudoZ question to Sanskrit->English pair, but not vice versa. Still I am able to Edit a question in Other->English -- and to move it to Sanskrit->English pair.

In other words, the language lists throughout the site are not consistent. It's a minor problem, of course, but sometimes it is a problem.

[Edited at 2003-09-10 13:26]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language Lists inconsistency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »