How many Kudoz queries is too many?
Thread poster: MBP
MBP
MBP
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2001

Today I received almost 70 Kudoz assistance request emails, the majority of which seemed to be from not only the same person, but also from the same translation job. While I am very new to this site I would like to help when I can and to get more involved. At the same time however, it seems to me completely inappropriate and unprofessional to ask for such a large amount of help via the Kudoz forum which is a really a a venue where translators generously offer their time and opinions; it is not ... See more
Today I received almost 70 Kudoz assistance request emails, the majority of which seemed to be from not only the same person, but also from the same translation job. While I am very new to this site I would like to help when I can and to get more involved. At the same time however, it seems to me completely inappropriate and unprofessional to ask for such a large amount of help via the Kudoz forum which is a really a a venue where translators generously offer their time and opinions; it is not a site to have your personal jobs translated by others,phrase by phrase. I hope not to have offended anyone, but the spirit of the Kudoz system seemed to have been neglected by one individual\'s actions and I would not like to feel the need to remove myself from the email list due to repeat offenders of this nature.

Thanks for listening and hopefully, understanding.
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2001

That\'s the job of the ITEN moderator then. Some moderators, Terry for example in the ES>EN community, is doing a great job in weeding out these reprobates who, as you say, make innumerable posts, making it seem as if: 1) they shouldn\'t have accepted the job since they\'re evidently inept, 2) they\'re lazy and prefer to watch Mexican telenovelas instead so post the entire job phrase by phrase or 3) are intent on annoying the likes of you and me.

I, for example, have seen Te
... See more
That\'s the job of the ITEN moderator then. Some moderators, Terry for example in the ES>EN community, is doing a great job in weeding out these reprobates who, as you say, make innumerable posts, making it seem as if: 1) they shouldn\'t have accepted the job since they\'re evidently inept, 2) they\'re lazy and prefer to watch Mexican telenovelas instead so post the entire job phrase by phrase or 3) are intent on annoying the likes of you and me.

I, for example, have seen Terry post finger-wagging messages against someone who had more than a hundred ungraded questions and who kept on posting more than a dozen at one go. The member quickly graded the queries posted that day.

Lesson: moderators have the power to bar offending members from posting Kudoz queries. You should appeal to your moderator or BE the moderator

D\'oh, that\'s power!

hmmm...now, if only I could persuade the Russian>English moderator to make someone from the boondocks of rural Russia, unbelievably a self-proclaimed English(!) editor of a scientific journal, to quit the half-asinine blabbing that mangles the lingo making Dan Quayle a paragon of supreme glibness.

And he ain\'t just spelling potatoE, I tell ya!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many Kudoz queries is too many?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »