Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 19, 2002

I\'m pretty computer illiterate and am trying to deal with a virus for the first time. I hope somebody can explain a few things to me:

1. The virus arrived and was detected, but installed itself in my TEMP folder and refuses to budge. Do I have to clear out teh system and re-install everything?

2. So far everything seems OK and I have heard no reports from anyone of having received anything through my mail. Does that mean I\'m safe for the moment and sti
... See more
I\'m pretty computer illiterate and am trying to deal with a virus for the first time. I hope somebody can explain a few things to me:

1. The virus arrived and was detected, but installed itself in my TEMP folder and refuses to budge. Do I have to clear out teh system and re-install everything?

2. So far everything seems OK and I have heard no reports from anyone of having received anything through my mail. Does that mean I\'m safe for the moment and still have a chance to get cleaned up?

3. I tried downloading the Microsft \"patch\" but apparently one must have a \"service Pack\" which I don\'t have. Maybe I tried to download the wrong files, but I was unable to check which version of Internet Explorer I have (my OS is Windows 9. How can I get this \"patch\"?

4. It appears to have been the Sophos Anti-Virus, which I have on trial, that detected the virus, not my installed Panda Anti-Virus, purchased recently. I wonder why? Isn\'t an anti- virus supposed to be on stand-by for viruses?

5. Ages ago someone explained how to make an entry in my Outlook address book \"000!\" to avoid propagating viruses. Does this really work?

I attach details from SOPHOS below, in case it\'s of any use to anyone. Meanwhile I hope soemone can answer my simplistic questions!

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32klezg.html

W32/Klez-G

Type

Win32 executable file virus

Detection

A virus identity file (IDE) file which provides protection is available now from the Latest virus identities section, and is incorporated into the March 2002 (3.55) release of Sophos Anti-Virus.

Sophos has received several reports of this virus from the wild.

Description

W32/Klez-G is a Win32 worm that carries a compressed copy of the W32/ElKern-B virus, which it drops and executes when the worm is run.

This worm searches for email address entries in the Windows address book but uses its own mailing routine.

The email will have the following characteristics:

Subject line: either random or chosen from the list

How are you

Let\'s be friends

Darling

Don\'t drink too much

Your password

Honey

Some questions

Please try again

Welcome to my hometown

the Garden of Eden

introduction on ADSL

Meeting notice

Questionnaire

Congratulations

Sos!

japanese girl VS playboy

Look,my beautiful girl friend

Eager to see you

Spice girls\' vocal concert

Japanese lass\' sexy pictures

Message text: Message text is randomly composed by the worm but the message can also be without a text.

Attached file: Randomly named with extension .PIF, .SCR, .EXE or .BAT.

The sender address which appears in a message is chosen from a list inside the virus.

W32/Klez-G attempts to disable several anti-virus products and delete some anti-virus related files.

The worm attempts to exploit a MIME vulnerability in some versions of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer to allow the executable file to run automatically without the user double-clicking on the attachment. Microsoft has issued a patch which secures against this vulnerability which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-027.asp.

(This patch fixes a number of vulnerabilities in Microsoft\'s software, including the one exploited by this worm.)

W32/Klez-G may also spread to remote shares on other machines using random filenames.

It copies itself to the Windows System directory with a random filename. The worm will set the registry key

HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Run\\

to point to the worm file, so that the file is run on Windows startup.

Please read the instructions for removing infected executable files.

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Klez virus Apr 20, 2002

Hi Ailish,

Sorry, need more info...

- Which Windows version are you using?

- Which antivirus software are you using? When did you last update your virus definitions?

- The IE version you\'re using can be checked under \"?\" => Info/About.

The fact that the infected file is sitting in your \"Temp\" directory is not surprising - this is the default folder where your e-mail client stores incoming file attachments.

Goo
... See more
Hi Ailish,

Sorry, need more info...

- Which Windows version are you using?

- Which antivirus software are you using? When did you last update your virus definitions?

- The IE version you\'re using can be checked under \"?\" => Info/About.

The fact that the infected file is sitting in your \"Temp\" directory is not surprising - this is the default folder where your e-mail client stores incoming file attachments.

Good luck - Ralf
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In ans to your Qs, Ralf Apr 20, 2002

Thanks for you reply.

Windows 98

Panda Platinum

Sophos version 3.56

Hope you can tell me if I\'m infected or not, and what to do! Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Klez-G

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »