Has the autograder robot gone mad?
Thread poster: Mary Worby

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:15
German to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2002

This morning, I awoke to find I had been awarded points by the autograder robot for an answer given on Friday. Whilst flicking through some of the recent KudoZ questions, it would appear that the robot is sweeping up questions as soon as two people agree. It has even awarded points for a question asked earlier this morning!

Is this a glitch or a conscious decision? If the latter, would it not be fairer to give askers (and answerers) just a teensy bit more time!

Thanks

Mary

Direct link Reply with quote

maciejm  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:15
Partial member (2011)
English to Polish
+ ...
What has happened with the autograder? Apr 21, 2002

I can only agree with Mary. In my case I have found questions asked within the last 24 hours to have been already graded by the auto-grading system. I wonder if it could intervene only after let\'s say one week to 10 days.

Maciek
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Looks like a bug Apr 21, 2002

I noticed similar behaviour with two DE>EN questions asked yesterday. Having posted this on the ProZ Moderator forum, I have already seen some responses there which would indicate that this was caused by a malfunction of the \"autograde\" bot.

I have already submitted a Support Request to ProZ.

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 02:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
Was the autograder ever intelligent?? Apr 21, 2002

Today I\'ve noticed that 3 questions I had provided answers to were graded automatically based on peer agreement. OK, one of my answers has been selected but does automatical grading make sense? In cases where some of the last answers are more acceptable, people tend not to agree/disagree if they have already reviewed and agreed on previous answers. In such cases automatical grading is completely \"mad\". I suggest that automatic grading should be abandoned completely. The majority is not right all the time.

John Kinory
Local time: 23:15
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There is a good side to this Apr 22, 2002

The robot has swept up questions that should have been autograded many weeks ago but were just sitting there (and which I have repeatedly asked the office, in vain, to deal with).
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Bug confirmed... Apr 22, 2002

Henry has confirmed that it\'s a bug (see his response to Ailish\'s posting in the \"co-op\" forum: http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=20821&topic=2378&forum=23&1).

Murat is, of course, right in pointing out that autograding is almost always second best to the (hopefully!) informed choice of the asker, which is based on context and the discussion using the site. However, there are large numbers of questions where the asker has simply ignored his or her obligation to grade. The autograding bot (provided that it works properly... )only kicks in after 14 days, after which time one can safely assume that the asker has forgotten about the question.

If you believe a wrong answer has been accepted, I suggest you contact the moderator of the language pair concerned. You may want to wait for a couple of days, as Henry indicated that they\'re working on this...

murat karahan  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 02:15
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks Ralf Apr 22, 2002

Thank you Ralf for your suggestion to contact the moderator. But let\'s not forget that the moderator may have answered the question. In such cases we\'d have to trust him (I\'ll have to look up the word trust when I\'m at proz) There\'s widespread abuse where there should be sweet competition. I sometimes spend 20 minutes on answers, I should find a shrink highly experienced in obsession.

I tend not to give any answers to no-identity askers, if the word is not too tough and challenging. If my answer has not been graded by a person one time, he/she won\'t get another reply from me.

What\'s worse is that even if the answer screams \"I\'m unacceptable\" after autograding Browniez-Hunters enter them in a glossary!! :0

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has the autograder robot gone mad?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs