New forum threads don\'t appear on the front page
Thread poster: Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:12
German to English
Aug 13, 2002

Today I posted a message under \"Money Matters\" but it hasn\'t appeared on the front page (i.e. the main ProZ page). After researching a little I find that many new messages in several different forums have never hit the front page (on my computer at least). It is very annoying to have to visit all the forums under \"See more discussions\" to see if anything new has been posted. Much worse is the fact that many members rarely look under \"See more discussions\" and so the chances of getting res... See more
Today I posted a message under \"Money Matters\" but it hasn\'t appeared on the front page (i.e. the main ProZ page). After researching a little I find that many new messages in several different forums have never hit the front page (on my computer at least). It is very annoying to have to visit all the forums under \"See more discussions\" to see if anything new has been posted. Much worse is the fact that many members rarely look under \"See more discussions\" and so the chances of getting responses to new messages are correspondingly low.Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:12
German to English
+ ...
It's a deliberate 'feature' Aug 13, 2002

Hi Robert,

This is deliberate. Only the juicy topics get to go on the front page! Unexciting things like \'bugs\' and \'money matters\' just don\'t make the grade. (This one won\'t make it either!).

I think the idea is to highlight the interesting topics and sweep the less glamourous ones under the carpet. So chance visitors to ProZ don\'t get to see us complaining about what doesn\'t work! (-:

Regards

Mary

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mary Aug 13, 2002

Thanks for the explanation. I\'m not sure I agree with the policy but at least I now understand what is happening.

Regards from Germany.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the Aug 13, 2002

Quote:

It is very annoying to have to visit all the forums under \"See more discussions\" to see if anything new has been posted. Much worse is the fact that many members rarely look under \"See more discussions\" and so the chances of getting responses to new messages are correspondingly low.

As a Platinum member, you can use a special tracking function - my impression is that quite a few active members are using... See more
Quote:

It is very annoying to have to visit all the forums under \"See more discussions\" to see if anything new has been posted. Much worse is the fact that many members rarely look under \"See more discussions\" and so the chances of getting responses to new messages are correspondingly low.

As a Platinum member, you can use a special tracking function - my impression is that quite a few active members are using it (actually, the reason why I\'m responding to your post is that I got notified...).

You can decide if you want to get an e-mail notification for new threads only or for all posts in a forum, plus you can track a specific thread. Have a look at the \"FAQ\" link on the bottom right end of the Forum home.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-13 13:03 ]Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New forum threads don\'t appear on the front page

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »