Thread poster: Gail Patricia Bulla - nee Charrion
Gail Patricia Bulla - nee Charrion
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
Italian to English
+ ...
May 9, 2006

I am wondering if anyone else has a query on the GMT timing on this site, or if it's only me!
Whenever a job post says, for example:
(Current time: x:xx May X GMT) it is always (for me) the wrong number of hours behind. I am based in Italy (one hour ahead of the UK) however the actual time in Greenwich is always coming up as two hours behind instead of one.

(It does have a bearing on the release of job restrictions)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:55
English to German
+ ...
CEST = GMT + 2 May 9, 2006

Hi,
It's not your computer...

I am based in Italy (one hour ahead of the UK) however the actual time in Greenwich is always coming up as two hours behind instead of one.

There is no daylight savings time ("summer time") for GMT, so the current time in Greenwich (and the rest of the UK) is GMT+1, whereas Central European Summer Time (CEST) is GMT+2.

HTH, Ralf

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No daylight saving time May 9, 2006

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your response.

I have just one little query. When you replied "There is no daylight savings time ("summer time") for GMT, so the current time in Greenwich (and the rest of the UK) is GMT+1,..." do you mean that when the clocks go back/forward an hour in the UK, it is not reflected in central Europe?

Patriz

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:55
English to German
+ ...
Local UK time is not identical to GMT during the summer months May 9, 2006

...at least not during DST.

I have just one little query. When you replied "There is no daylight savings time ("summer time") for GMT, so the current time in Greenwich (and the rest of the UK) is GMT+1,..." do you mean that when the clocks go back/forward an hour in the UK, it is not reflected in central Europe?

Of course: right now (during DST), UK local time is GMT+1, and CEST = GMT+2. Once the clocks go back in autumn, UK time goes back to GMT, and CET=GMT+1.

...all clear now?

Best, Ralf

United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's becoming clearer.. May 9, 2006

So, right now it's 15.35pm in Milan and defo. 14.35pm in London however when written in 'clock language' it's GMT+1 during DST and GMT+2 in Europe even though there is only actually always one hours difference.

Great, thanks Ralph, I like to learn something new every day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GMT time zone error-is it my computer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »